Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

beehive

I knew I had seen something on this, this is a kids costume, but if you don't use the yarn is is basically a braided beehive.
    http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...age=2&dp=false
    The other thing I remember reading is that girls used to wear their hair in large rollers with lots of goop (like dippity-doo or something) while they slept to make the curl take (that might help you as well). Then they would just keep wraping and piling until the beehive was huge.
    http://www.hairrific.com/hist.htm#Beehive
    Good luck!
    (Of course, as a last resort you could always just buy a wig?)

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by tvethiopia
    nicegirl! you have in your hands the costume i've been DYING to do, but i'm too poor to pay for! the snow queen, from the hans christian andersen story. it's my favorite fairy tale. if you haven't read it, read it here.
    Thanks for the link! I hadn't read that Andersen story, though we're a Hans Christian Andersen family, being of Danish descent. I may tell people that's what I am!

alterego,
    When I did a beehive I actually kept a large curler in my hair, & used lots of bobby pins & hairspray. I bobby pinned the bottom part of my hair into a french twist. For the top/front of my hair I rolled it around a large curler & then wrapped hair around the sides of the curler so you couldn't see it. Having dirty helps, & the style would probably hold better if you curled it overnight w/lots of product. Good luck!

But I have no idea how to make a beehive--HELP!.[/quote]

I, too, have long straight and very fine hair and have made respectable beehives by just teasing and ratting and spraying the hell out of my hair. Just back comb it until it is all sticking out like clouds from your head, divide it above your ears, put top part in clip, then french twist bottome half and pin. You can somewhat smooth the surface hair with a brush, but take care not to smooth it so much that you lose your tease. For the top, smooth surface hair while pulling back and rolling under and pinning down so that the top curl meets the top part of the twist. If you want a big big beehive (Halloween, of course you do!) you can make your own rat with a length of cut up panty hose, stuffed with shredded up panty hose. Try to get close to your own haircolor so it doesn't show. Get a big ass pack of bobby pins and a big as can of old style hairspray and have a grand old time!

um, yeah, I should read further - just like "shove it" said!

Oh, and I wanted to mention my wonderful costume! Found an actual real stage ballerina tutu - black velvet leotard with ruched white "bodice", just a 3 inch band across the top of the off shoulder neckline, long black tutu with clear sequins at the bottom of the top layer. Looks like the black swan from Swan Lake. Don't have the feather head thing, but do have a sparkly rhinestone tiara as well as some black ballet shoes. So excited! My sweetheart will be a fireman, so we will be going as "What you wanted to be when you were little".

Another idea for those mothers out there - I heard about one woman who is going as a ventriloquist and her dummy is her 9 month old baby! Just dressed alike and drawing big eyebrows and mouth seams on with black eyeliner, I guess. Sounds adorable and funny.

i love the idea of being a porcelain doll, like artskoolgirl suggested. what would a porcelain doll wear though? i'd want her to be old-timey and flapper-ish i think, or kind of goth/flapper? like striped tights and tiny dark red lips. if i had bigger eyes i'd be a blythe doll.

i thought it would be funny if my boyfriend and i went as "american gothic". every year i try to get him to do this, but we never do halloweeney stuff or go to parties or anything (friday i have a thing to go to while he's at work).

if i run out of time i might just silkscreen freud onto a slipdress and go as a freudian slip.

I've got it! DYNAMITE! I can write TNT or somethign on my shirt and my red hair will be the fire!

Ok, I had to describe my costume. I was so depressed and had no costume because we hadn't been invited to any halloween parties - then at 3:30 on Saturday we were invited to 2 ... the stores here closed at 5 - I ran to the local thrift store and bought 2 plaid shirts and some tweedy fabric for $12. Then I ran to the dollar store and bought some of the straw they use to stuff bath baskets, some fake birds (see ANTICRAFT postings!), a fake birds nest, some sprigs of fake leaves, and some work gloves. I was on my way to look for black bristol board when I found a halloween headband with two cartoonish crows on springs. $16 spent at the dollar store, I rushed home, and cut patches from some old rags. I sewed them on some jeans that were in the bag for the thrift store, with straw sewn in poking out from under the patches. I sewed straw on the cuffs of the shirts too. Meanwhile, the BF cut out patterns for pointy wide-brimmed hats from the tweed. I sewed them up too, with straw sewn so that it was poking out from the hem of the brim and from the point of the hat. The BF and I then hot-glued the fake birds, crows, and some silk autumn covered leaves to our hats and shoulders. We hauled on our patched jeans, stuffed our shirt pockets with straw, and Voila! Two very convincing scarecrows! We even made it to the first party by 9 pm. I was extrememely proud. And the costumes were very comfortable.

What really made my night was that everyone kept asking us, "Where did you BUY those incredible hats?!?!?!"

del

soo i thought i was set on my posion ivy costume but apparently im debating now..,, does any one know any pattern for the bottom of a mermaid costume/? and difficulty level because i am a beginner>>> and i also thought of being a peacock bit dont know wher eto start hah any ideas???
    the posion ivy costume i want to do would be similar to this... but does any one know if she is used a corset >>?? heres the link
    http://aldaric.org/pics/dragon05/poison%20ivy.jpg

Halloween costumes

[quote:e5061aa134="charlie"]Does anyone have any original kid halloween costume ideas? My sons almost 2, and I don''t want to buy a cheesy one from walmart, i''de like to make it.[/quote:e5061aa134]

I agree that Walmart costumes are cheesy I like to go online and get inspiration from costume sites

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Remove Ads

Ads