Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

*sigh* - missing old glitter...

i was just searching through the old glitter/getcrafty archieves through the way back machine website... http://web.archive.org/collections/web.html ... and it just made me kinda sad and wistful... i really miss old glitter... i miss all the great people and threads and i miss the frequency of the boards and knowing almost everyone on there... it really felt like a close knit family... a place to go if something was wrong... but now... between the new glitter/supernatural and new getcrafty i feel like a kid having to choose between newly divorced parents... not sure where to put my loyalties... i really don't recognize most of the peoples on the supernatural boards and it seems the old folks are here but don't post much... so is it just me?... does anyone else still feel kinda displaced?...

kate
    =o)

2. # ADS

It's a little weird. But I got over the alliance bit since I check into each board probably twice a day. I tend not to mention the other board when I'm on one, unless it's very relevant to the topic. Not a matter of conflicted interest, but one of thread drift or prompting topics that weary me.

I haven't read every thread on either. Have noted that some people who were mostly absent from posting have come back on one or the other boards. Seems the differing natures of boards and posters encouraged that.

There are some folks I miss that I don't see either place. I've had to take time outs myself and one never knows if a return is likely.

When you see boards that show how many views topics get, sometimes you get a feel for things people are thinking about but not writing about. Of course, sometimes it's just one person checking in every twenty seconds to see if anything new has been posted. haha. One board I'm on has a way to see if anyone logged in is in the process of posting. Then several people will sit like vultures waiting for the new post to appear.

Boards change like the tides. What is taboo one month is a terrific topic the next. Maybe the blogs here will have more of what you want. Not my cuppa, generally.

I am with you ladies!!! I used to post here about 3 years ago and I was addicted. I have recently re-joined. But I have come back to find this place not quite as I remember it!

Well, I can relate to your feelings of displacement, but I don't think there's a need to align yourself with one board or the other--I think a lot of people have just taken up residence at both. But I have been concerned by the slow pace of this board. I think we should all focus on contributing more actively to this board (I certainly need to) so that it will come to feel more like home. Rather than bemoaning the loss of old Glitter, try to focus on what it was that made that board so special--Was it the thread topics? Try to think up helpful or exciting topics to start threads on. Was it the responses? If everyone makes an effort to delurk and actually respond to people's posts rather than just reading them, I think we can create a more close-knit board. I'm not talking about just posting for the sake of posting; rather, I mean that everyone should make a special effort right now to post thoughtfully, then eventually it will come naturally just as it did at the old board.

This message is not coming out at all like I mean for it to, but I'm going to post it anyway in an effort to be more active (see discussion above) on these boards.

You are spot-on, alterego. I loved the old glitter, but I spent way too much time there during the day when I am supposed to be working. That's one reason I like the slow pace here. I sometimes miss the political/social discussions, but I know deep down the thing to do is start a thread.

I used to lurk and/or post a lot on Old Glitter, and post occasionally on New Glitter. I've been missing the niceness and format of Old Glitter, so I was finally convinced (by udandi -- thanks!) to get over here to getcrafty. I like the pace much better and it seems more pleasant all-round.

I work from home so I check the boards often, but even when I check a lot, New Glitter is just too fast for me. I like reading through the posts that haven't gotten out of hand (pages-wise), but it's overwhelming and I tend to feel invisible if I post anything back.

I'll probably just bounce back and forth between the two, and post wherever I'm feeling most comfortable at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    Rather than bemoaning the loss of old Glitter, try to focus on what it was that made that board so special.
    hear hear! i agree heartily.

i like it here - it feels all shiny and new. like starting from scratch. no comparisons required.

I only miss that people don't seem to post very much crafty stuff,but the blogs are helping with that.I feel like a lot of my old board friends are posting their crafts on Crafster since the 'split'.
    I love it here though.The pace on other subjects is nice and comfortable and I can keep up with the posts even though I don't particularly have anything to ad.

Personally, I really like it here, including the slower pace. I feel all cozy, like drinking cocoa on a winter evening. :P

Quote Originally Posted by deborahthecraft
    I only miss that people don't seem to post very much crafty stuff,but the blogs are helping with that.I feel like a lot of my old board friends are posting their crafts on Crafster since the 'split'.
    I agree that the blogs will probably help us post more crafts, I know I intend to, which means actually crafting more!

When I first found glitter, the 3 other forums that I now visit and see other familiar posters didn't exist. I think some of the slowness here can be attributed to users being sprinkled around the craft and/or carft business boards.

and a hefty hello to plainmabel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads