get crafty: hip home ec and the new interior decorating

i just got jean's book, i'm so excited!

i've only skimmed it, but i really liked the part about deciding what you want in your home space. i also wish i had more sunlight in my apartment, and i'm thinking about what i can do to change that. i think it's hard after college to find yourself in an apartment for more than semester intervals, and so often people never *think* about the style they want, and it's no suprise they're not happy with it. i am one of these people - i want a clean, uncluttered place that looks like an anthropologie catalogue - that faux french rustic just moved in look. but then i collect stuff that doesn't fit with my ideas, picture frames given to me by coworkers, the cable modem and router that has to go in my bedroom, the stuff of life - where do a yoga mat, hand weights, and a laptop fit in to my aesthetic?

i have off from work for the jewish holiday tomorrow, and i am determined to mercilessly clean and work through the design ideas in jean's book!

anyone else redecorating? anyone else have a favorite part of jean's book to share? and by the way, i'm going to test the carpet cleaning recipe tonight! will let you know how it goes.

2. # ADS

Oh my goodness! I'm so excited to read this post - I was going to start a thread about the same thing.

My husband and I moved into our very own home after 2 and a half years of renting and the absolute joy of renovating is awesome!

In fact, we have been working on our latest project today. So far we have made changes to our kitchen, main living room and bedroom and we had modest budgets to improve each of those rooms, but today we tackled the ugliest room in the house and we were determined not to spend a cent. I'm sitting here in it now I have to say I think I love it the most!

The room is a tiny rectangular shoebox which we think the previous owner, an 80 year old home handyman, built himself. The room seems to have been tacked onto the exterior of the house - one wall is the same as the outside of the rest of our home! There was only a masonite floor and two of the walls were some very cheap wood panelling. A positive point about the room is that it has two windows which let in a lot of morning sunlight. Oh, I almost forgot - on the exterior / interior wall is a window for another bedroom in the house!

We decided to make this little room our "study" and until 8am this morning we were just going to jam all our furniture in there, but painting our other rooms had such good results we decided to have a go at this one. So we painted everything a beautiful creamy off-white, the same as our other rooms, with gloss trims.

Then, because we were determined not to spend any money, my husband lay some vinyl offcuts my mother had given us after she had recovered her kitchen floor. It's a beautiful terracotta tile pattern. This was the hardest part, but very funny!

We arranged our bookcase, computer desk and birdcage in the room and re-hung the green roller blinds that came with the house. Tomorrow we are going to start putting up our knick-knacks - a clock from the zoo which makes a different animal noise to mark each hour, a indoor/outdoor temperature gage, a cork board that holds all our take-away menus, a calendar and some framed newspaper articles and cartoons.

My friend and I christened the room "The Italian Grotto" (every room must have a name) and we are going to carve the name into a spare piece of the vinyl and hang it on the wall like a sign. :)

I got Jean's book this week too, and I loved it. As you can see I was very inspired!! Renovating, decorating and creating my home is one of my favourite ways to craft. The 'home' chapter was one of my favourite parts of the book.

P.S I took a before photo, and I'm so glad I did. When I get an after photo I'll scan them in and show our work!

P.P.S A good book to read is Home Comforts. It will give you every possible piece of information you might need about looking after your home.

Home Comforts is excellent. Love that book. And the Get Crafty book too!

The strength of the book lies in the essays, I think. That's what really sets it apart from the other books out there. Well, that and the journaling exercises. :) I busted out a small review on Amazon.com a few nights ago.

Good job, Jean!!

I agree with E's thoughts on the essays. I liked the fact that it gave specific examples of crafty ways ladies Jean knows are living their lives. Oh, and crafty guys, too - Jean, I never knew your hubby was so crafty! That's cool.

This fall, I've finally hit the point of relief at being finished with the major redecorating in my house. :)

I'll have to check out Jean's book, though. Just because I'm done doesn't mean I've stopped looking at decorating books. :)

i got the book! haven't had a chance to do more than skim through it yet, but it looks great so far. i'm looking forward to sharing it with my friends at my Crafternoon party on the 9th.

<moved this post to a more appropriate thread>

I can't wait for the book to come out in Australia! I will buyy it the day it does!

Remove Ads

Ads