Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

co-dependent kitty

It's very late so this may not make much sense but I gotta rant...

I love my cat very much and would not trade her for anything. I found her outside the cafeteria of my elementary school...when I was a student there! I've had her for 14 years now. She's amazingly loving and has the temperment of a lap dog rather than a cat.

Okay, she's actually obsessed with me and my fiance. Like every single minute that we are home she has to be sitting in one of our laps. She also likes to lick us as if she is bathing us. It drives me nuts. If we are busy (and yes, I even mean that kind of busy;) she will circle us and meow LOUD till we acknowledge her. She also likes to "scream" at me when I'm talking on the phone and will jump in my lap and try to headbutt the phone away from me. She's been like this for forever. Once I made a sling so I could carry her around while doing housework becuase she kept following me around and was tripping over her. She didn't like the sling...but sometimes I end up carrying her in one arm while trying to clean with the other because she's never happy unless she can snuggle up against me.

Lately, it's been a little worse becuase we moved to a new house and she is having a hard time adjusting. I have problems breathing when she sleeps in the bed and the house has too many things she could get into, so I tried locking her in her room (a spare bedroom that has all her food, litter, and toys in it) at night. She cried and scratched at the door and it sounded so heartbreaking that I let her out and let her sleep in the bed. Now she is back to sleeping on my chest and will start licking my face right as I fall asleep. I wake up and tell her to stop and she does and then when I'm falling asleep again she'll start kneading my boobs with her paws and I tell her to stop and so on and so forth tell I finally just pass out.

At this point, I feel so lucky to still have her in my life (she is at least 15 years old) and I keep thinking that she doesn't have much time left so I let her walk all over me (literally!). But somedays I feel like I have a baby or something, especially those nights she wakes me repeatedly or the days I'm home when she bugs me nonstop.

I've never met anyone else who had a cat who was a) this old and b) acted like this. Anyone? Do you have a co-dependent pet? What crazy things does your pet do that drive you up a wall?

2. # ADS

My two cats combined are like your one. And I got both of them within a month of each other and both were about a year old. They are fifteen, too.

Thessa is the sleep disturber. She doesn't lick so much as chew on my hair. Since my hair is long, that's bad for the cat. She will snag my scalp with her sharp claws and start chewing. If I am too groggy, it will take a few seconds and she may be gagging by the time I wake up. I sleep like a contortionist, wth my forearm wrapped over my face and my head tilted back so most of my hair is under a sheet. But she will still snag and pat my arm, sniff my eyelids, whatever. I always have a scratch or ten somewhere because of her. She claws me when I am eating because she feels she should at least be offered green beans or coffee even if we both know she doesn't like them.

Samm is the the follower. She will sit under a rocking chair or on the keyboard or on top of my crafting as long as it's right next to me. She bunts me continually and talks all the time. I have to be careful of her tail and paws whenever I move. Like the Prophet Mohammed, I would rather cut off my sleeve than disturb my cat sleeping on it. I've gotten into bed sideways because I wouldn't make either cat move. She also anticipates when I am going to the bathroom for any purpose. She wants that as exclusive "pay attention to MEEEow" time. Run a trickle of water in the sink for her, leave the door open for her even though she will stay inside with me, she'll be sitting on my towel when I get out of the shower. Oh yeah, I really wanna wipe my face with cat butt!

The girls fight over who gets to sit closest to the door when I am in the garage doing laundry. Both will be underfoot when I come back through and I have to nudge them with my toes to clear a path for me.

We've raised little tyrants, haven't we.

Wow -- sounds like you've got it really bad. I never would call my cats "codependent" (that never occured to me, prolly because they're not that bad, but it definitely seems apt in your case), but... NEEDY like mofos, yes. Good lord. They're eight, now, and we've always been incredibly affectionate (which has helped on the lonliness tip many, many times over the years), but lately (over the past year or so) they're getting more and more demanding. They have no problem with whining and crying until they get what they want, usually cuddles or food, always at the most inappropriate times. I love them, but gawd damn, guys, give it a fricking rest.

I wonder if it gets worse as it gets older? My littler one never was this vocal before, and when the insane meowing started I took him to the vet to make sure that nothing was up. Nope -- just demanding attention.

It's hard to remind them that *I* wear the pants in the damn family.

I have a friend who had a cat live to be 17. She said the cat became more finicky in her old age and more crass. She figured the cat had made it that long, why not let her have her way. This cat had such a funny meow more like a scratchy, whiny bitchy meow that made one smirk to hear it.

My cat is only 2 years old and spoiled. I live in the country and let him go out during the day. But when it's "dark o'clock" it's his curfew. He just meows up a storm when I first bring him in. And on nights it's a full moon, he sits in the window and cries. So I appease him with treats and let him sit on a book I'm reading, etc.

It's like they have us wrapped around their tails.

did you have any toys in the separate room? that could keep her occupied maybe, instead of whining constantly. you can look at http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ for cat toys. i suggest making them yourself and getting ideas from the site, because the toy plus s&h is IMO way too much for something my animals would eventually shred to pieces. also, talk to your vet about this! i'm sure they've seen tons of dependent kitties or puppies and know some sneaky tricks of the trade.
    my trigonometry teacher had a cat that lived to be 21 years old, and at the hemingway house in key west (which houses atleast 150 polydactyl cats) there was a cat named garfield who lived to be 24 or 25 i believe. my oldest cat, kelsey, is coming up on 15 and is extremely crotchety. she is very picky now, the most annoying cat we have, and years ago she learned to bang on our doors. imagine an old, obese cat using a scratching post. now trade the post with a door. she just bangs and bangs until someone lets her in. she also has panic attacks when she can see the bottom of her food bowl, which is why we think she may have been starved as a younger cat (we got her at the humane society as with all my other cats)
    another of mine, ernest, who is a polydactyl (6 toes per foot) cat, LOVES to boob knead. and it hurts so bad! he's also very moody but follows me around. to keep him from constantly tripping me up, or jumping on counters and knocking everything on the floor on purpose, i cut him 2 or 3 shiney ribbons and placed them around the house. we figured this out last christmas that he LOVES these ribbons. he carries them in his mouth everywhere like his babies, and plays and pounces on them. it keeps him very pre-occupied and out of the way!
    but i strongly recommend talking to your vet about some great methods! they usually know best!

I've really loved reading this thread.

My husband and I recently adopted an old cat after she followed him home from a boozy night at our local pub (Who tries to outrun a cat???).

We took her to the vet the next morning, hoping she might've had a microchip with her owner / address details but the vet said that she had been lost or abandoned a long time ago judging by her condition. She was very skinny and arthritic. He told us we could take her to the RSPCA, where she would be put down, or we could keep her. We kept her.

The vet was so wonderful, he wormed & flea treated her, gave her steroids to treat an eye infection, lent us a cage to transport her home and gave us some cat food.

Our cat is about 12-13 years old and while we tried to think of a cool name for her, it soon became clear that her name was Puss-Puss, which we have lengthened to Puss-Puss McGoos-Goos. She seems so grateful to be living with us - after she is fed she always wants to have some "affection time" and seems to be saying "Thank you, Thank you!".

She also licks my husband and I, as well as the lounge, cushions etc. which we think is hysterically funny. She is a real talker and always dying to either a. Be fed or b. Be held/patted/shown affection. She follows my husband and I around everywhere and my husband (who has never owned a cat before) finds this affection behaviour amazing and has remarked that she is "just like a dog!".

We didn't expect to get a cat, especially one which is as old and mangy as Puss-Puss McGoos-Goos, but we are so glad to have her.

Old cats are cool!

are microchips common? maybe i should post it as a new thread!

awww, whatta nice thread! :)

and it reminds me of my oldest kitty, ethel, who i've accused of being co-dependent, too! maybe this becomes more common as kitties get older? ethel is 13 years old. :) but if either myself or my hubby sits down for just one second, she immediately jumps into our lap (so inconvenient if i'm sitting down to, say, put my shoes on so i can leave the apartment!). and she's soo meowy and demanding! but my hubby and i just laugh about her funny ways 'cause we almost lost her to hyperthyroidism a few years ago, and so now we actually cherish the 6:00 am wake-up meows, or the constant kneading on the chest, or the general kitty kookiness! :)

kitties are the best!!!!! :D

Wow, I have truly enjoyed reading this post!!! Hilarious!!! It is amazing how we treat these little furry creatures like deities!

I also have a codependent kitty who happens to be male. (He is the orange kitty in my photo album) From what I have witnessed, male kitties tend to be even MORE needy and codependent than females. But I could be wrong. He behaves similarly to the kitties discussed in this post. The second I sit down, if only for 2 seconds, he jumps up on to my lap and pins me down. The funniest example of this: Once I was in my kitchen trying to find something in a lower cabinet. I wasnít having any luck, so I squatted to get a closer look. Well as soon as I assumed squat position, kitty man came out of nowhere and climbed up on my lap. As if squatting isnít awkward enough, add a 18 lb cat teetering on your lap to add some drama.

Well this little man is only 6 years old. If what you ladies say is true, that they get needier with age, I am in a world of trouble!

my cat is exactly like that. she is 11 or 12 now. she follows me around constantly and is so LOUD to get what she wants, which is attention or food. the only time she's not in the same room as me is when the dog's nearby. we get scolded (well, i should say I, since i'm her clear favorite) if we're away long. the longer we're away, the longer we get yelled at when we come home. and there's no other way to describe it but yelling. ive been on the phone more than once when the person i'm on the phone with asks who's baby is at our house.

she's cuddly and sweet but sometimes i want to lock her in the attic. (she ran away from me when i wrote that last line. HA!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads