Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: introduce yourself

Hi!

*I'm 23, an aires, the oldest of six children.
    *I'm about to graduate from college!
    *I like to knit, read, draw, write, sculpt, make jewelry, and cook.
    *I live with my partner of almost 8 years.
    *We have a beautiful orange tabby named Lex.
    *I'm obsessed with maneki neko, skulls n crossbones, green and fuschia orchids, fonts, paper, hello kitty, pink, the golden girls, dave chapelle, and south park.

2. # ADS

My name is Karla and I have never joined a forum before. I've always been more the observer when it comes to the internet. This is a great place, though! Me and some of my friends recently began a book/knitting club that meets once a month and I have, consequently, been introduced to my inner-crafter! I always thought the very word (craft) implied a lesser form of art...specifically, tri-chem. That was my mother's introduction into the world of crafting and, I believe, that is just about where she left off...

Remember tri-chem? Plastic pieces divided into sections that you fill with this liquid that turns hard and, viola!, fake stained glass sun-catcher things. They were super fun to make but we never hung them or displayed them or anything. So I deduced that craft=tri-chem and tri-chem=useless. Not that I wouldn't rock a tri-chem unicorn if you had one handy!

I also skipped home-ec because I was convinced that it was sexist and outdated. But, boy, did I envy my sister's lip-shaped pillow! I decided much too early in life that I wasn't interested in any domesticating activities. It was a mis-led feminist idea. I don't regret it but, I have a lot of time to make up for now! Especially since, I have come to terms with the fact that I am an incredibly domestic person!! I really enjoy being at home and I like to make that place as comfy and fabulous as possible! I'm fortunate to have an incredible boyfriend, a loving kitty-cat and a precious new puppy. I'm not so fortunate to share with them a rented duplex in the ghetto. All of these things, however, create MANY crafty opportunities and ideas.

I love to cook and I'm just learning to knit. I've been in the market for a sewing machine for a long while now and it has just been explained to me that I may be able to take advantage of a layaway-type deal called '90 days same as cash'. Correct me if I'm wrong...you pay 1/3 of the cost and you take it home!!? I'm feeling optomistic.

I really enjoy collaborating with other crafters and the idea that you can do almost anything yourself! It's even encouraged me to learn to do my own plumbing! I no longer feel that craft and art are mutually exclusive. I've been able to express myself best creatively when I make useful things, things with purpose.

First on my agenda is: converting an over-sized, sweat-stained Stryper shirt into a thing of beauty and creating my own pattern for knitted drink cozies. I am not scared of the profit-making possibilities, either!

I'd like to mention, and maybe I should already know this, that if CraftyChica is the Crafty Chica with the web-site Crafty Chica, you are an inspiration. I've visited your site often and have a file folder full of your crafty ideas! And I like glitter, too.

I hope to be useful to you guys. I've already benefitted from some of your posts. It's a nice community you have here!

Quote Originally Posted by Karla
    My name is Karla and I have never joined a forum before. I've always been more the observer when it comes to the internet. This is a great place, though! Me and some of my friends recently began a book/knitting club that meets once a month and I have, consequently, been introduced to my inner-crafter! I always thought the very word (craft) implied a lesser form of art...specifically, tri-chem. That was my mother's introduction into the world of crafting and, I believe, that is just about where she left off...

Remember tri-chem? Plastic pieces divided into sections that you fill with this liquid that turns hard and, viola!, fake stained glass sun-catcher things. They were super fun to make but we never hung them or displayed them or anything. So I deduced that craft=tri-chem and tri-chem=useless. Not that I wouldn't rock a tri-chem unicorn if you had one handy!

I also skipped home-ec because I was convinced that it was sexist and outdated. But, boy, did I envy my sister's lip-shaped pillow! I decided much too early in life that I wasn't interested in any domesticating activities. It was a mis-led feminist idea. I don't regret it but, I have a lot of time to make up for now! Especially since, I have come to terms with the fact that I am an incredibly domestic person!! I really enjoy being at home and I like to make that place as comfy and fabulous as possible! I'm fortunate to have an incredible boyfriend, a loving kitty-cat and a precious new puppy. I'm not so fortunate to share with them a rented duplex in the ghetto. All of these things, however, create MANY crafty opportunities and ideas.

I love to cook and I'm just learning to knit. I've been in the market for a sewing machine for a long while now and it has just been explained to me that I may be able to take advantage of a layaway-type deal called '90 days same as cash'. Correct me if I'm wrong...you pay 1/3 of the cost and you take it home!!? I'm feeling optomistic.

I really enjoy collaborating with other crafters and the idea that you can do almost anything yourself! It's even encouraged me to learn to do my own plumbing! I no longer feel that craft and art are mutually exclusive. I've been able to express myself best creatively when I make useful things, things with purpose.

First on my agenda is: converting an over-sized, sweat-stained Stryper shirt into a thing of beauty and creating my own pattern for knitted drink cozies. I am not scared of the profit-making possibilities, either!

I'd like to mention, and maybe I should already know this, that if CraftyChica is the Crafty Chica with the web-site Crafty Chica, you are an inspiration. I've visited your site often and have a file folder full of your crafty ideas! And I like glitter, too.

I hope to be useful to you guys. I've already benefitted from some of your posts. It's a nice community you have here!
    Welcome Karla. Yes, so many of us came to crafting late in life, b/c we dismissed in our earlier days as something not feminist. That's why i started get crafty: to create a feminist craft site!

and yes, crafty chica is the same crafty chica. i'm one of her biggest fans and am thrilled that she is such an integral part of our community.

ok, off to tie-dye some clothes in a prada-rip-off sort of way, so i can look chic in italy.

jean

hi! i'm pixielily here, there, and everywhere. i'm a bit of a glitter addict, but i'm so happy to have found this site! (as if i need another addiction...) it's great to see so many familiar "faces," and so many new ones as well.

about me? i'm 42 yrs old, mother of two wonderful (and thankfully grown) kids, happily in love with my wife, who is happily in love with me. after 4 years at a soul-killing agency, i just got a new job as site director of a day program for mentally retarded adults, and start work there tuesday. i'm so excited i can't stand myself!

i do all sorts of crafty things except sewing, knitting, etc. i don't have the patience for those things, and am subsequently terrible at them. i really enjoy collage, making shrines, jewelry, anything that involves lots of tiny bits & shiny things. i love taking a back alley cast-off and transforming it into a treasure; my house is full of fabulous junk day finds. i am infamous for my ability to walk into any space and instantly "know" how the furniture should be placed. (this particular talent is what originally opened the door to my new job.)

i'm opinionated, but extremely tolerant. i tend to see the best in everyone, and look for the silver lining behind every cloud. i've been called a "pollyanna," but only by those who've never seen me lose my cool. fortunately, that rarely happens, but when it does, it's not pretty...

it's good to be here! :)

~pixie

hey there, i'm a 25 yo single mama, waitress, aspiring teacher and closet crafter. i am moving my first house starting tomorrow (!!!!) and that is where all of my craftiness has been focusing lately altho i would like to get better at knitting and sewing.

nise to meet everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by viggie
    i am moving my first house starting tomorrow (!!!!)
    Wow...congrats on your new home viggie! *applause* Many blessings to you and your family in your new digs!

Hey...Yes, I am the same JediEmpressMel from the Naturale, and old Glitter boards.
    I'm probably gonna hang out here more than Naturale...I think I like the more mellow friendly vibe over here...not to bash the other..it's great and everything. Just this place seems to fit my personality better.
    Anyhow..I'm 22, like all diff. crafts..sewing,cooking,baking...it's all fun.
    I love all the ideas you guys come up with and share, the trades, the swaps, and the new food forum on here! =]

Hi, I was spikeykitty on the old glitter board. I lurked much more than I posted. My latest obsession is my motorcycle, hence the name change.

I plan more projects than I start and start more projects than I finish. Oh Well. I do a little of a bunch of things, some beading, some sewing, some painting, some crocheting and some decopage. I'm always looking for new ideas. I used to keep an inspiration file from the old glitter board. Hopefully I find tons of new ideas.

greetings and salutations! A long time (sorta. 2 years or so) member of getcrafty boards but mostly a lurker.And I gave myself a new name. my old one was outdated. I have a tendency to go through phases where I will post a bunch and then get shy again.

I enjoy outdoors, video games, movies, redwine, cats , bunnies (ov course) the satisfaction of making it through a busy night at work, my husband, bubbles and crayons. 28 years old but always about 6 years old at heart.

Things that make me crafty..well a bunch of little things combined, a lot of aspirations and basically just life in general.

Good to meet everyone!

Hi I'm Malinka
    I'm 30yo and I live in Melbourne, Australia.
    I went to glitter a few times but lurked more than posted. I aim to change this now, because I don't spend enough time procrastinating on the web. No really, I plan to post more because this seems like a great supportive community that will be all the better the more people get into it. I love reading about the creative and caring things people here are into, and it inspires me to do more of these things myself. I posted a thingy in the cooking forum about finger food ideas for my wedding *my first new-topic post* and I can't believe the time people who don't know me at all have taken out to share their ideas. Mush mush, I know, but there you are.
    I love:
    *my fiancee (tee hee--newly engaged)
    *cooking
    *trying to garden (definitely a novice at this)
    *coffee in the morning
    *crime fiction
    *books
    wow that sounds kinda dull
    um
    *going to farmers markets
    *Coopers beer, the best in Australia, chemical-free
    *buffy, I know she's gone, but I can't let go

I'm definitely a feminist too. I guess my mum and my stepmum and my grannie, who are not at all oppressed housewives, taught me a lot about crafting and so I've always seen it as a means of expressing myself and my love for people, and achieving great stuff that's not about work and money. I love cooking a great meal, just for my boyf or for a whole raft of people, and I love that my grannie crocheted each of her grandkids a rug when we moved out of home.

At the moment my main crafty things are cooking and gardening, and the kind of creative living thingies people here talk about. I used to sew a lot, and am busy getting back into that. My first, new project, which I hereby *pledge* to finish my the end of this month is a bag for a friend's birthday. It's a sturdy fabric with a chinesey-flower and water print, and I'll also put a little beading on it. I also want to learn to knit and crochet. I have knitted a couple of times before, but have completely forgotten how.
    That's more than enough blather from me.
    Happy to meet you all

Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads