Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Renaissance Garb on the Cheap?

Two of my friends are getting married, and they're doing a renaissance theme. I'd like to go in garb, but I have none - and don't have huge funds to spend on it. I'm a simple person, so the generic chemise and overdress would do it for me - anyone know where I could get these... or better yet... know of free/cheap patterns for me to sew my own?

~bubbles

2. # ADS

i have two ideas:
    1. see if anyone you know wants to donate a bridesmaid dress to you, more often than not you could just wear a bridesmaid dress with a headdress and you'd like close enough.
    2. Get a white blouse with puffy sleeves and a long dark skirt. Then make your own bodice thingy. I saw a cool one at a faire so i had my mom make it for me when i was in a 'madrigal dinner ' at school, we sang and put on a play for people who ate with their hands. Anyway you can make one that cinches up both sides. you just draw the shape you want for the front piece, sort of a pentagon, and make two of those and some straps in between, buy some satin rattail and lace up the sides. it's easy b/c you don't have to have your exact measurements and you can adjust it, but it's different than those front cinching corsets.

good luck!
    jt

Pattern reviews:

http://www.raveness.com/renaissance/...lpatterns.html

http://www.sca.org/newcomers.html

Check out "What to wear"

I would google using words like:

renaissance or medieval
    chemise, tunic, dress, bodice
    easy, simple, pattern, etc.

A dress would be easiest, the a-line kind with a scoop neck and long sleeves. A piece of cord as a belt would work nicely, you could add decorations, etc. Since this is more of a fun outfit, dont' worry about being too acutate. The pattern review page will give you an idea of what to work with.

Ahh, found this:

http://freespace.virgin.net/f.lea/links.html

Also, if you can sew a bit, you can make the underdress out of an old bed sheet or some muslin. Then you can look in Salvation Army for the cheapo hippie skirts that are long and silky looking. Buy a couple of them, and you can do the tucking and draping to get different effects.

For the shirt, you might be able to make a vest or make a diamond belt looking thing that would work as a bodice. If you use felt and iron on interfacing, you may not have to do that much sewing.

I'm researching the answer to this very question. We are in the process of developing a Renaissance Faire here in Central Indiana and I am on the board. One of my duties is to find the cheapest way to nicely outfit all of our volunteers. I don't necessarily want them all to be wearing frumpy looking peasant outfits, but we certainly cannot afford the money or time for those fancy velvet dresses.

I am going to the Ohio Renaissance Faire in Harrodsburg, Ohio this weekend to get get ideas. It wouldn't be that far of a drive for you from Pittsburgh and I highly recommend going just because it is fun! It's NE of Cinci.

http://www.renfestival.com/

When is the wedding? I expect to have patterns and fabric cost details by the end of October. Our faire is next October, but I am going to guess that getting about 100 outfits ready will take almost a year! LOL

Slightly OT, but Pam have you been in touch with the SCA there in Indy? Also, for everyone on this thread, check the SCA links for costuming (http://www.sca.org)

Once you find a pattern you like (my personal favorite is Simplicity 7756 without the stupid bell sleeves), hit walmart's $1 a yard bins for some nice cotton plaids. :)

Good luck!

Red Rosary --

Yes, we've had representatives from the SCA coming to our meetings. I had no idea they had costume info available. Thanks!

Hey! Do you want to help out with the Ren Faire in Fishers?! :)

I sent you a PM. :)

I worked at a Ren Fest a long time ago, and had to be in costume- went with the wench look cause it was summer and I knew it would be cooler.

For a waist cinch- type thing, I created one out of a table runner. Very easy and looked neat. I found a table runner that looked kinda like Battenburg lace. Then all you have to do wrap it around and pin it closed in front temporarily, and start pinning darts around to make it fit, whatever looks good, then take it off and sew the darts in. Then I sewed a couple strips of plastic boning on the inside, and used ribbon to lace it up the front. Cheap and effective.

Wedding is in mid-November, so I've got plenty of time. Browsing around, I really like the 'Irish' style dress I see... with the open front and lacing on the torso. A chemise should be easy as pie to make, so maybe I'll go for that - I found a review to a decent pattern on one of the recommended sites, so I think I'll look this weekend. I hope fabric doesn't run up a fortune. :o)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads