New Craft Drive for the Holidays--craftivism blog

do you want to make something for the needy this holiday season? well, everything you need to know about the getcrafty holiday craftivism drive is located here:

http://getcrafty.com/blogs.php?user=...izer&entry=455

the lovely craftinfool is presiding over the whole drive and you can leave her a message on the blog.

i am so thrilled about this. i think it's going to be incredible!

2. # ADS

fabulous!

time permitting, i was thinking of making baby items to donate to children's homes and crisis pregnancy centers (ones that aren't political, just there to actually *support* women who give birth) and when i give gifts to my family including a little photo on the gift tag saying a hat, booties, etc, was given in their name to XYZ group.

i've emailed a few places to see what the need is, any info i receive i'll post in the blog!

sweet!

BTW, I originally registered with a kooky misspelled name for the craftivism blog ("craftistivism organizer") and Jean changed it.

So, the link to the correct, active, updated craftivism blog is:
    http://getcrafty.com/blogs.php?user=...sm%20organizer

The old name is gone, so you can only pm to the new name, "craftivism organizer."

Sorry for any confusion!! See, told you I was a craftinfool.

Thank you so much for including UK charities! I will be crocheting some blankets for cuddles. Thank you for organizing this!

here's my craftivism conclusion! i also posted this in the craft-up section, hoping to entice some local people into donating.

i've decided to make a donation this year to la casa de las madres, a san francisco based group that offers emergency services to women and their children escaping domestic violence.

i've spoken with the donations coordinator, and this is the information that i received.

they have women of all ages there, and children from newborn to age 18, so items of all sizes and colors would be welcome. they would take blankets, scarves, hats, mittens, gloves - all the standard handmade stuff. if you do not knit or crochet, you are welcome to sew any donations. machine washable is good, so is warm wool, but they are not picky and would take anything. you are welcome to wrap stuff if you want, but please put a tag on the outside indicating what is inside, and the size, etc. i also suggest attaching a tag indicating the fabric content, care instructions, and maybe a little pick-me-up message.

they are also looking for donations of art and craft supplies - fabric, yarn, needles, paper, crayons, hooks, glue, markers, etc. NO magazines, they already have plenty.

they accept donations year-round, but if you would like to have your gift as a holiday thing, they need it by dec. 17th. if you live in the area, i would be happy to coordinate a drop-off for gifts. i will be leaving for ohio on dec. 18th, so i would need donations by DECEMBER 11th to get them over in time. if you are not in the area, you can mail a donation directly to the center (address below). if you would prefer to send it to me, let me know and i'll give you my address.

any questions, please let me know. i know many of us are making gifts for our families and friends this year, and i encourage you all to find time to make a little hat for a baby or something else. the war against women that goes on every day (especially in this political climate) is something we can fight with our votes, and with our tangible support of women in need.

http://www.lacasa.org/index.html
    http://www.lacasa.org/wish_list.html
    About La Casa: La Casa de las Madres offers emergency residential shelter to battered women and their children while providing counseling, family-based services and referrals. Our Emergency Crisis Shelter has the capacity to shelter and support 35 women and children per night. La Casa's downtown San Francisco office houses our two 24-hour Crisis Phone Lines, a Drop-In Counseling Center, the Teen Intervention & Prevention Program, and the Community Education & Outreach Program. All services are offered free-of-charge in English and Spanish.

La Casa de las Madres
    1850 Mission Street, Suite B
    San Francisco, CA 94103

just wanted to say that i posted what i'm doing for the drive on http://www.craftivism.com, but i'll repeat it again here...

i'm making 2 baby blankets and as many preemie hats as i can muster with two skeins of baby soft yarn.

and (in tooting my own horn a bit) if you have any questions about craftivism, i just did an interview for http://www.audioactivism.org!

yay!

I have a bunch of kiddie print fleece left over from the baby blankets (3!) I made last week. I was thinking I might make a couple more blankets, but I would also like to make some hats and mittens. Does anyone know of any (free) patterns for fleece items?
    Thanks!

have been busy as a bee working on various holiday stuff, although i might have to extend the 'holiday season' until valentine's day?

i would say my house is like an 'elves workshop' but it's just me, and 'elf workshop' sounds weird, because just one elf tinkering away seems odd.

just wondering if anyone was doing any craftivism crafting for this here drive or sent things out. still working on my baby blankets which should be out by v-day.

i'm telling myself that it still counts, being made with love and sent by the day of love, and all that...

Remove Ads

Ads