+ Reply to Thread

Craft Show Experience

Hi~

I know this question has a lot of variables, but how much inventory would you expect to need for a craft show. The one I am preparing for is a 2 days, 12 hours total show with medium traffic. My craft is patchwork throws, purses, and other little things ranging from $5.00 to $100.00. Is there any sort of standard for how much to make? I know it is desperately optimistic, but I don't want an empty booth and an apologetic smile on day 2.

I'm mostly looking for show success/horror stories....

Thanks in advance for ANY insight!

2. # ADS

I just had my first art/craft show in June and am planning for another in December. My show was only 7 hours 3pm-10pm.

I made 30 handbags, a dozen little zippered bags, 60 marble magents and like a couple dozen record bowls. I sold everything but 10 bags and 3 record bowls and a handful of magnets. I sold most of my stuff 2-3 hours into the show, my booth started to look whimpy and people would just walk on by. I think the key is to make enough so when stuff does sell your table still looks full.

Hope that helps :)

Another thing to consider is to have some pieces NFS (not for sale) and then offer to custom make new ones - if you run out of things to actually sell you may still get some orders.

You might end up constrained by time between now and the show and also funding for materials...

off topic, but where & when is this show? I'd love to swing by and show support(and finally meet you too!!)
    : miss m

the best bet is to make as much stock as you can, so people have more to choose from. we do a lot of shows and i go in praying to please let me make back the money i spent and usually come out with oodles more. be postivie and do you best to show off you goods!! best of luck!

Thanks for all the information- that was incredibly helpful. Actually I was shopping for more materials and a cute old man was chatting with me about shows (he had A LOT of experience) and mentioned something about keeping the booth full as well. The idea about having not for sale items is a great one as I make queen size quilts for our bed about every other season but of course would never sell something that has been used.

Sorry for the late "thank you" but I have been away from the computer- tied to my sewing machine when I'm home and travelling a lot for the "real job"!

Miss M- I would love to meet you as well and I think the show will be in your neighborhood! It is at the First United Methodist church in Plano on Nov 6th and 7th. I've never been there before but my mom and I will be in the booth. I am terribly nervous so a kind face is more than welcome.

Keri

Ads