Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: job anxiety

job anxiety

I just moved to a new city and after 3 months, finally landed a full time job. Around the same time I interviewed for my current job, I'd interviewed for 2 others. Although I didn't think my current job was my dream job, I accepted since having *a* job is better than having *no* job and living off my savings. I am on 3 month probation, at which point I will have a performance review and determine if this is working out for both me and my employer. I just found out today that I am still in the running for one of the other jobs I'd applied for and it's somewhat more appealing to me. My question is- If you were at a job for less than a month and were offered a better position, would you take it and/or would you feel bad about it all? Also, how would you handle the situation with your current employer?

2. # ADS

My feeling would be that if you are on probation, so are they. I know you wouldn't want to burn any bridges, but maybe you could just explain that you are concerned this is not right position for you and you wouldn't be good for them, and if they have other opportunities to keep in contact... or something. I wouldn't want to stick with a job knowing I had passed up a better job, since knowing me I would end up resenting it and then sabotage it and end up with no job!
    I'm not really good with office etiquette though, I'm sure you'll get better advice.
    My only other suggestion would be to ask the same question on the DinnerGrrls.org list. They are all professional women and have fabulous advice on issues like this. (sometimes you have to ignore some list snarkyness, but I get the digests and skip half the posts)
    good luck,
    Bree

Also hold off until you are more than just "in the running" for the other job - otherwise you might quit this one and be left with nothing. How much longer would it be before you heard definitely about it? (Sounds like they've been making you wait quite a while anyway...) It might be fair to the current job to tell the new job you'd prefer to start after your three months are up - but of course only if that won't screw you over for it.

If only I was making sense...

I'm not planning on quitting my job, but I guess I'm just making mental preparations in case I do get an offer from the other place. And yeah, they've been taking a long time. I've been waiting 3 weeks to hear back. I guess I just wanted to get a feel from you gals out there if any of you've ever quit a job after a short period of time. I've been told by others that I shouldn't feel bad and I should do what's best for me.

Yea you gotta do what's best for you. I was kind of in the same boat where I was doing a bunch of interviews, knowing that one definitely wanted to hire me. They hired someone else for the position I interviewed for (internal candidate) but liked me so much that they wanted to find an open position for me to fill. So during the waiting time I did other interviews, but kept worrying, what if I get offered a job and the first place offers me a job? I would feel bad for leaving in such a short time. One of my friends reminded me that I had to do what's best for me, even if that means quitting a job in a few weeks or a few months. Just be sure to give them your two weeks!

Good luck!

moving on

It really is not so unusual for a person to take the first offer only to later be offered the more desireable job. Every supervisor with any experience has had it happen with a new hire. If the offer comes, be frank, be honest, thank your current job for thier time and effort training you (be nice - some day you may want to go back there). The good news is that you can probably get away with a short notice, like a week, because you will not be so hard to replace at this point.

Thanks for all the reassuring responses. I am told that the hiring will be finalized this week so I will know either way by the end of the week.

ok, I'm writing in with an update... man, I can't believe how long this process is taking... I got an email back from the HR consultant last Friday saying that my references were now being contacted and that they will contact me as soon as they've spoken to them. I feel as though I should proceed with cautious hope, but I have a question-
    Do companies normally contact your references if you are one of let's say 3 final candidates remaining, or do they call the references if you are the one they want to hire?

ti
    Hmm ... often they won't spend the $$ to check references if you aren't someone they are thinking of hiring.

Usually they will often do references after they make an offer here in the US since paying someone to do the reference check can take some $$ and most companies don't want to spend $$ on it unless they have serious intent.

It all really matters what kind of job it is, how much you will be paid, how much experience they are asking for in the job specs, etc.

You might want to check with your references to see if they have been checked yet!

Good luck! I know what it is like waiting to hear, either way ...

I found out from my former co-worker that they contacted our boss and that he gave me a "glowing" reference... one down, two more references to go....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads