Thread: summer recipes

summer recipes

i was wondering if anyone had any great summer food recipes...preferably healthy but I dont really care
    THANKs

2. # ADS

i've never tried it myself, but at allrecipes.com, there's this very famous recipe for a spinach and strawberry salad that always sounded very good and summer-y to me, even though i've never tried it. it's received a very good rating from people who have tried it. so just go to the site and plug in those words and you shall find it.

maybe someday i'll get off my lazy ass and try it myself.

roxy the lazy

I love making tomato and basil salads, or putting in buffalo mozzerela.

This is great if you have a garden. Basically you cut up the tomatoes and put them on a bed of basil leaves and then take some balsamic vinegar and olive oil, put it in a jar (the quantities depend on how sour you like it) add sugar to taste, shake it up and drizzle it over the veggies. I've done the same but added mozzerella or even sliced up the basil into bits for people who don't like so much basil.

Also for summer my mom makes cold noodles, you can get asian flat noodles or use linguini, you make the noodles, toss them in a mixture of black vinegar and soy sauce, then for toppings you put on your favorite meats, chicken, ham, cooked egg, and veggies, bean sprouts, carrots, zucchini (whatever you want) cut them small like 'juliened' or a bit bigger. THen for the sauce, combine peanut butter and water, you start with a few spoonfuls of pb, add water and stir, it gets really gross looking and chunky and then when you have the right amount it gets really smooth and sauce like. You can use chicken stock instead of water, or put in soy sauce to give it a saltiness...then serve the pasta and let people drizzle the pb sauce on top or mix it all together...my mom likes to put the pasta and do different lines of the different colors, green zucchini, yellow egg, pink ham, white chicken, so it looks good, then people take what they want.

Great for a hot day b/c you can serve it cold, or warm, depending on how long it's going to be, i like it best cold.

jt

zil
    I make this tuna pesto pasta salad about once a week in the summer. You can do tons of variations and I always have most of the stuff on hand.

can of tuna
    pesto (I grow basil in the summer so I need to use it up)
    penne pasta (or any big, chunky pasta)
    roasted red peppers
    artichoke hearts (canned, frozen, jar- it all works)
    a lemon ( zest it and use the juice)
    parmesan cheese
    finely chopped fresh garlic (or use a microplane grater-makes it real easy)
    salt & pepper

Cook and drain the pasta, chop the red pepper and artichoke into bite size pieces, drain the tuna and then throw everything all together in a big bowl. Takes about ten minutes total and it's so yummy- even better the next day. It is also good with grape tomatoes, chopped up grilled asparagus, sun dried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, feta cheese and red pepper flakes- or whatever you want to use up. You can also make it vegetarian/vegan with a few modifications.

*ETA Capers! How could I forget capers?

my mom makes a great egg salad for Abendbröt (basically evening bread)... it's a german custom when it's warm out to make salads, sandwiches, etc that don't require heating the oven.

Some hardboiled eggs chopped into nice small pieces, along with some ham and swiss cheese (have the deli guy give you one 1/2 inch thick slice so you can cube it), sliced baby gurkens, mix with some light mayo and pickle juice. Salt and pepper to flavor. Serve on white bread toast.

______

Berry Torte... Slice the crusts of off dayold white bread. and place in mixing bowl. press against the sides. fill the middle with some frozen berries that you nuked so that it's syrupy. Cover with more bread slices. Cover with plastic wrap. And put a plate on top with a can of peas or whatever to weigh it down. Fridge overnight.

The berries will soak into the bread and make it like berry sponge cake. Turn bowl upside down on plate. Cover with fresh berries and serve with whipped cream.

A great summer pasta salad, that is very easy and flexible to be made with whatever is handy.

Cook one bag of noodles, any kind. When partially cooled, add 3/4 bottle of Italian dressing. Then, go wild....black olives, cucumbers, parmesan cheese, carrots, celery, pepperoni, mozzerella. Add the last 1/4 bottle right before serving.

I especially like making this one, because mayo in summer makes me kind of nervous!

I love this recipe for bean salad. It's great for picnics, camping and barbecues.

15.5 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    15.5 oz canned great northern beans, rinsed and drained
    15.5 oz canned pink beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup cooked corn kernels
    2 medium sweet red pepper(s), seeded and chopped
    12 medium scallion(s), sliced
    3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Tbdp ground cumin
    5 medium garlic clove(s), chopped
    1.5 tsp table salt (or to taste)
    black or crushed red pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Chill for at least an hour so flavors will combine. Serve as side dish, salsa or over greens.

Remove Ads

Ads