make b-friend's birthday special when out of town...?

hi...i'm a lurker who's often been impressed by the wonderful ideas i've seen on this site. hope some of you can take a moment to help me out...

my sig other's b-day is coming up in a couple of weeks. he wants to spend a couple of days in denver...i said i'd pay for the hotel...which is fine...if i pay for an inexpensive, out-of-the cool areas place. i was thinking something really fancy and/or centrally located might be affordable with priceline but...that isn't going to happen. so...how do i stay at a cheaper place but make it feel like a more expensive place? is that even possible? if we lived closer, i'd probably be able to go ahead of time to decorate whatever room we end up with, but that's not an option. i'd also like to bake a cake...but i don't know about transporting it...and does it need to be refrigerated? and what are easy, inexpensive & memorable gifts i might make...? sorry if i'm overwhelming with questions. i guess i kept putting this stuff off and now it's finally time to face the music...! anyway, the bottom line is that i just want it to be fun and memorable couple of days.

thanks for any input & best to all!

bean

2. # ADS

oooh a birthday at a hotel! sounds fabulous.

are you driving there? then you'll have more options. bring a portable CD player and candles. find out if there's a bathtub, refrigerator, jaccuzzi, etc. you can do some research in advance to find a local bakery to order a cake from. transporting one might be too hard.

if all else fails, just make sure you have a birthday candle. you can always get some hostess cupcakes from a gas station. i'm sure your partner doesn't expect a gourmet dessert tray to show up at the hotel! as long as you've put some thought into it ahead of time, it'll be wonderful.

this may be a little corny/risque... but maybe bring some champagne (or whatever your friend likes to drink) and a deck of cards for strip poker?

thanks, athos!

yes, we will be driving...i didn't even THINK of bringing music! candles, too, would be a nice touch, and a quick, easy way to decorate...and, yes, corny and risque ideas are always welcome...

thanks again,
    b.

you can transport a cake, as long as you're careful (my Mom drove 770 miles with a graduation cake for me and the frosting only suffered a little) you could get an aluminum pan with a plastic top (one of the cheapy, one time use ones) and bake the cake in that, or make cupcakes
    I think I'd try to get him out of the way so you can get the room all ready, if there's a bar/resturant in the hotel/nearby buy him a drink and tell him to give you 10 minutes (then do the candles, music, stuff thats already been suggested)
    you could bring your own nice sheets/comforter to dress up your bed (and avoid the scratchy comforters they sometimes have in hotels)
    get take out, bring a blanket and set up a picnic in the room
    or bring stuff for a romantic bath/shower

All you really need is the tub of frosting, you were built with two cupcakes of your own... :)

loving all these fun ideas!
    what about giving him a massage like he might get in a swanky hotel spa? Just pop in some soothing music, light a few candles and go - he'll be relaxed - or ready for some b-day fun afterwards!

Or the ol' rose petals on the sheets? Corny maybe, but still sweet. Even just one rose from a grocery or gas station can give quite a few petals.

I like the carpet picnic idea - even everyday sandwiches can be fun/romantic with some wine. Maybe even bring real wine glasses?

About the hotel - I don't know if you made reservations or what, but maybe try to get a quiet room. You know, not by the highway, stairs, elevator or ice/vending. And maybe with a view(and that can just mean the window doesn't overlook a flashing neon sign).

I think no matter what you do, it will be fun and memorable! You are sweet to be putting so much thought in to this - he will be thrilled! Good luck!

thanks, all. i have a couple of weeks and i've not yet made reservations. all i did was buy some balloons in his favorite color...!!! great suggestions -- seems like i can get a lot accomoplished if i plunk him down in a bar somewhere. i think it'll be great fun...

best,
    b

How about some theme party plates as well? You could go to one of those 'party stores' and get color paper plates with napkins and utentils to match.

As for the cake, maybe you could find a grocery store nearby and order a cake and have them personalize it with icing. While he's in the bar you could run out and pick it up. If it's a smaller cake have him wait in the car and come out with a couple bags so he won't guess you have a cake.

more great ideas...thanks, twilight!

Remove Ads

Ads