Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: election blues

election blues

it's 2000 all over again. and i think bush is going to get the election again.

we hired a babysitter last night and my husband and i each went to seperate election parties, but the moods were somber at both. mine was also a day of the dead party, which seemed somehow fitting.

today my son and i are getting a flu shot and i've got to get him some more coloring supplies. i suppose things will just continue on. but i'm feeling a bit blue.

jean

2. # ADS

I hear you. I'm feeling down myself. I burst into tears this morning watching CNN (uber-girly reaction)

I'm there, too. That wasn't a great way to start the morning. I don't understand how this happened, but BLEH. (Well, I understand how it happened technically, but you know what I mean.)

I've given up wanting to throw things and now just want to curl up in bed for a few days.

I'm with you guys. Not a single person/issue I voted for turned out the way I had hoped :(

Barack Obama got elected in Illinois. My democratic Gov. got re-elected. My city councilwoman got elected to the state senate.

I'm grasping at straws here. I really am trying to find something hopeful and positive to grab onto.

On top of that, I'm still jet-lagged, as are my daughters, and I've got a godawful chesty cold, and I'm feeling absolute shite.

It's just so depressing - so close and yet so far away.............

I'm just sad and horrified at the decisions made by my fellow Americans.

I feel like I'm seeing this America that no one else is seeing. Like all of the people who voted for Bush are just wearing rose-colored glasses
    Eating garbage and believing that it's the finest of fine cuisine.
    Wearing rags as if they are tuxedos and ball gowns.
    Destroying the planet while claiming they're helping it.
    Teaching our children that patriotism should be based on unquestioning faith.

I wouldn't feel quite so hopeless if the Democrats had taken the House or Senate. At least, then, they could make it more difficult for him.

But what can we do now to make our country a better place? I'm stuck right now.

hey, one little spark...

have you seen eminems new video? even though we lost the election, i htink the video offers us hope for the future.

http://www.gnn.tv/content/eminem_mosh.html

four years ago i was able to convince myself (sort of, for about three minutes) that maybe bush wouldn't be that bad, that maybe we should all just accept and embrace...blah blah blah...i didn't totally buy into my desire to be optimistic then and i can't even begin to pretend to imagine that another four years of his "style" of leadership is going to be anything but bad.bad.bad. and that's an understatement.

but this is what the majority of people seem to have voted for; this is what they supposedly want. isn't that what we all hold up as an ideal, what makes our country so great? i can no longer use the argument that the people didn't get the leader they elected. he just doesn't seem to be the one that i want. i think i try very hard, in general, to understand the motivations and desires of people whose views differ from mine. but i can honestly say that i just don't get soooo many people voting for bush. it just doesn't make sense to my addled little brain, either intellectually or emotionally.

i'm just very, very sad.

mystril and beanie ---- You've both highlighted the specific reasons I find the outcome so depressing. Well put.

I'm so sad. Ugh.

Here's the one thing I feel good about. Iraq is a mess. It will continue to be messy for quite a while. If Kerry had won (I haven't heard yet about Ohio, so maybe there's still hope, but I doubt it at this point...), you KNOW that the Reps would be all over him about "blah blah weak leadership need a strong man to finish the job".

Of course, the Dems will (hopefully) be all over Bush about problems in Iraq, but since the Republican leadership got us INTO that problem, I believe they should be held accountable.

So my hope is that Bush will find himself holding a hot potato in the next 4 years, and that public opinion will sour on him so much that the country will start a swing back around to the left. I certainly don't hope that things continue to go badly in Iraq, but I do hope that public opinion sours and is directed toward Republican leadership.

Then, MAYBE, the Dems will be poised to come back in strongly, and the long-term could be hopeful. But of course I"m VERY nervous about reproductive rights, science education, etc etc etc in the short term.

But I'm very sad overall. And the split is so CLOSE--it's really almost 50/50, at least among those who got off their butts & voted (or got their votes counted....). Even if Kerry had won last night (sigh....), I'd be feeling upset that nearly half the country believes firmly enough in Bush & his agenda to be convinced by him after 4 years. How can we ever mend this split?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads