I think I have bad karma!

Every week me and a co-worker write a column on American Idol as part of our job.

It gets pretty heated. This week I got some really MEAN letters from people because I kinda dissed the Hawaiian girls. Lately I've been getting bad luck. I think I have the Brady Bunch Hawaiian curse on me - or bad karma because I'm sayng mean things about nice people who are trying to reach their dream.

Here is the column that got people riled up about and the only reason I said for the girl to take the flower out of her hair is because I felt like it was a gimmick, instead of her just singing the best she can.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/tv/arti...chatter13.html

I'm totally looking at this different now. I feel really really bad...Am I over reacting? I'm truly very sad and yucky inside :-(

P.S. I didn't write the headline!

2. # ADS

don't feel bad. the show begs for us to judge these contestants.
    BTW...I totally agree with everything you said about the contestants...I couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't see what anyone sees in Jasmine. She has been very off pitch in every performance.

it's your job!

no way. i don't even think it was that mean. people who go on american idol put themselves out there. when you want to be a celebrity, you also, in some place inside, know that people will indeed make fun of you. it's part of the territory.

who are these people who write in and can't take a joke? i'm just jealous you get to write about tv for your paper! so cool.

breathe deep kathy. i know what it feels like to be attacked and ciritcized. but it's part of being an artist and writer out in the world. people can and will disagree with you. but just from seeing your art work, your books and reading your posts, i know you are a good lady. stay strong!

jean

Thank you for the support, it makes me feel better. I'm going to write this guy back today, I've been tossing and turning all night about it. I don't want to be mean to him likehe was to me. I want to come with peace and kindness and set a good example of how to disagree with someone without being so cruel.

This is a snippet of what he wrote me (and btw, Camile is half Hispanic and I've never been to Tijuana before!):

"...I can tell that (your) children wont amount to anything. Not with parents (if you are or when you become parents) with attitudes that you two displayed towards others....

...If you, or Kathy have gone anywhere other than Tijuana, you would know that having a flower behind ones ear is a tradition in that part of the world. Just like its a tradition for the illegals, to cross the border, to come
    to the U.S.A. Plus I might add, I don't see any Hispanics on the finalists what is that---feeling left out?"...

See? He is a big meanie!

while I think your column was perfectly reasonable (not having seen that episode, but having watched some of AI), I don't think people writing you mean letters counts as the brady bunch hawaiian curse. Since the Internet was developed, people have developed this sense of shouting out a car window, people will say really mean things that they wouldn't say to someone in person, and also wouldn't say if people knew them. That leads people to say meaner and more hurtful things. I think it was like we got a water cooler conversation from you and Randy, while then your readers decided to bash you. Don't take it personally, for some reason people get very offended when someone bashes something they like.

For example if someone said girls who craft suck, that would offend me and I'd want to defend my craftyness. Saying something bad about Jasmine's flower might have sparked anger in someone who also can't seem to remove the plumeria from their locks. I feel like she thinks she has to wear the flower so people will be like 'oh the hawaiian one'. But I digress. Don't feel bad, people will defend the things they like to the death, mostly using poor grammar, spelling and capitalization. Because email isn't as costly as regular mail, people have no qualms about firing off on a topic that 'offends them' even though before the internet, they would not have cared.

As for the brady bunch hawaiian curse, unless a tarantula comes out of your bed, or you 'wipe out' during your surfing contest, I wouldn't worry :)

speaking of which, someone pointed out to me that greg merely wipes out, it's not like he really gets hurt or injured, people wipe out all the time...it would be really more of a curse if he was somehow planted to his board and couldn't get off of it and then embedded himself in the shore :-P

Your column rocked....unfortunately the people you commented on didn't, I think you're safe from the tiki gods this week :)

jt

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyChicaAZ

"...I can tell that (your) children wont amount to anything. Not with parents (if you are or when you become parents) with attitudes that you two displayed towards others....

...If you, or Kathy have gone anywhere other than Tijuana, you would know that having a flower behind ones ear is a tradition in that part of the world. Just like its a tradition for the illegals, to cross the border, to come
    to the U.S.A. Plus I might add, I don't see any Hispanics on the finalists what is that---feeling left out?"...

I'm sure that guy only knew the hawaiian tradition b/c AI HAD to profile it so Jasmine wouldn't seem so crazy for only having one choice of hair accessory. I don't even know if I'd bother responding, there's generally no way of arguing with a lunatic. Would he defend the tradition of wearing cowboy boots if someone chose that as their American gimmic? Just the fact that both hawaiian girls didn't choose to wear the flower shows that it's a choice, it's not a religion, it's not like you made fun of a Jewish person for wearing a yalmuke...

Anyway people say mean things to get a reaction, and to upset you. Don't let him get to you.

jt

girl, don't reply to that crap. it's not necessary. just let the guy vent and as jay-z says, "brush that dirt off your shoulder."

in my personal opinion, camile should have never even made it to the top 12. ick.

I don't even know how you would reply to that, pardon me, bullsh*t! You said something about the flower in her hair wilting because of all the dry notes she was hitting and then get hit with that bigoted bile... It's an opinion column, Buddy! It's not like you were being vicious, you were trying to state your opinions in a humorous way.

Maybe you should respond. Sometimes, like sun bear said, people feel like they can say anything because it's the internet. Perhaps if he gets a nice response from you, the surprise may make him take back and apologize for his outburst, you never know. But then again, that may be giving him too much credit here...

Don't worry about what he thinks, Kathy. We all know you are fabulous!

No no no, do not reply. Do not give him the satisfaction of knowing you recieved it and read it, or that it affected you in any way.

I actually did write back and I feel a lot better! I got one other letter - from a lady who organizes the Aloha Festival here every year - and I wrote her back too. She replied back and thanked me for my nice reply.

I talked to one of our editorial writers today who covers minority issues and he was like "welcome to the club of thick skin, kid!". He said he get sletters and calls like that all the time and he answers them back in a polite manner.

This mean guy tho- I don't expect he will be writing me back anytime soon, but that's ok. By me having the last word kinda gave me some kind of weird peace of mind...

THANK YOU for backing me up, the day went much smoother because of it!!!

Remove Ads

Ads