Round-Robin Crafting?

This bartering thread put a little idea in my head. I'm sure you've heard of round-robin quilting if you have any quilting elders around. If you haven't, basically everyone passes around a piece, everyone adds something to it and it goes back to the originator (from what I understand).

I thought maybe we could start round-robin crafts. Let's say I made a plain messenger bag but was at a loss for emellishment. I'd post it and get about 6 people to say "Yeah I'll add something to it" and send it to person 1. They add their little bit, then send on to person 2 and so on until the bag is sent home by the last person. It would be a good way to put those little scrap trimmings/pieces/whatevers to good use. Of course we'd establish how many people it should go through. We could also do it with clothing we want embellished or altered/reconstructed.

Just an idea.

Jennjitsu

2. # ADS

That sounds like a fun idea - it would be neat to have each person send out one "plain" item for all of the others to embellish in turn, so everyone would get something back.

A few years ago I had an idea for another "round robin" thing that never quite took off. My idea was to start with a box of miscellaneous supplies and stuff that was kind of useless but too good to throw away. The first person would send their stuff to a friend, who'd make something out of those supplies (and anything else on hand) and send that finished project back to the Person #1.

Person #2 would then add their unwanted stuff to the box and send it on to #3, who'd do the same - make some item out of the stuff, send that thing back to #2, add supplies to the box and send it on to #4...et cetera through as many people as you want. You could have it go full circle so that sender #1 would end up making a project for the last person, or you could even keep it going through several rounds.

The friends I tried to do this with just weren't as enthusiastic about crafts as I was, and we all lived far enough apart that the cost of postage was kind of prohibitive. I still think it would be a neat thing to try, though, with the right group of people.

Oooh thats a cool idea too...we'll see if we get any interests and throw ideas around from there.

Id be interested after the new year,but until then I am too committed with other swaps.

I'm interested! The only thing I was wondering is..who gets the final product? If we couldn't decide we should donate it, like if it was an article of clothing. Or maybe we could do a couple different projects at once, enough for everyone, pass 'em around to get each person's embelishment and then send it back to a go between to distibute one to each one of us. I keep checking on this thread...I wanna do it!!!

I'm interested! The only thing I was wondering is..who gets the final product? If we couldn't decide we should donate it, like if it was an article of clothing. Or maybe we could do a couple different projects at once, enough for everyone, pass 'em around to get each person's embelishment and then send it back to a go between to distibute one to each one of us. I keep checking on this thread...I wanna do it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boheme-anne
    The only thing I was wondering is..who gets the final product?
    That's why I think it would work best if each person sent out a "plain" item to start with. It would give the whole group a chance to work on a variety of projects, and each item would end up back with its original owner. With this, it'd be good to keep each group small (5 or so, maybe). There could always be several groups doing it at once.

Katrin, I was thinking the same thing. Everyone who says all systems are go could send out a "thingy" they want help with/decorated. The Thingies go in the circle and migrate home after last person.

But I too wouldn't be much good until after the holidays. I looked at the calender and nearly passed out when I saw how many days I DON'T have left!

Oh I love it! Sorry about the double posts, not sure what happened. I'll keep checking to see if we are going to start one. I second the idea of after the holidays. I'm already in a rush to get my ornaments done and start a bracelet!!

Remove Ads

Ads