View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • pc

27 49.09%
  • mac

28 50.91%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which are you - PC or Mac?

[quote="Katrin"]PC all the way. Right number of buttons on the mouse, keys in all the right places, and you can type shortcuts instead of having to use the mouse for everything.[quote]

Clearly nobody told you that you could buy a two-button mouse for your Mac and learn some keyboard shortcuts.

2. # ADS

Speak of the devil! My Gateway finally DIED last night! I'm so sad! The good news is I'll be buying a Mac system soon (a week or so). Until then I'm handicapped when it comes to cyber stuff....I feel the void in my life already! Hope I can survive!

My dad likes to say, "What is a Mac good for? Target practice." Okay, so he is a hardcore PC user, and so I grew up using PCs.

At work I use an iMac. At home I use a PC.

Mac pros:
    doesn't get viruses
    comes in a cool looking case
    click and drag images/files

Mac cons:
    crashes at least once a day
    system controls confusing and in odd places
    go fetch is the worse ftp program ever
    can't upgrade memory, or add to

PC pros:
    easy to upgrade/add things
    system controls in one place
    a mouse with a right click option
    minimized windows along bottom bar
    FTP programs free and easy to use

PC cons:
    crashes when I use Photoshop too long
    have to defragment one a month or so
    gets viruses unless well protected by software

Because I work with both, and I know people who are hardcore mac lovers, and hardcore PC users, I have come to one conclusion.

It is all what you are used to and willing to put up with, so just make sure when getting a computer to get the top of the line model in either PC or Mac. Both have pros and cons far beyond what I listed from my experience.

Since I work on both Macs and PCs, I have learned to adapt a lot of Windows tricks to Macs. This is probably common knowledge, but I thought that I would share a few things that I have learned that have been helpful...

On a Mac, the option/Apple key becomes your control for keyboard shortcuts (i.e. Option-C is "copy", Option-V is "paste", etc.).

(PC) Right Click on the mouse = (Mac) Control-Click of the mouse.

The main thing to be sure of if transferring files amongst PCs and Macs is the file extension. Sometimes the extension doesn't show on Macs and if you try to open a file without the extension on a PC, it won't work. Just make sure the files always show the extension.

Again, if transferring files amongst PCs and Macs and burning data CDs/DVDs make sure that -- whatever system you are burning the disc on -- is set to burn in a compatible manner. I think this is mainly a concern if burning on PC and opening the disc on a Mac. The simplest way is choosing the ISO 9660 option.

If buying a Mac, you likely want to buy Toast Titanium to ease burning discs and to have more options for burning.

Because of all the extra stuff (like Toast), Macs are more expensive (whereas a PC usually comes with CD burning software I think) -- but after working with them both equally for the past year, I do believe Macs are worth the extra money!

Oh, I work on two different G4s and a G5 and you can upgrade memory and hard drives on them... I don't know if you can do this with an iBook or iMac though.

I have a titanium powerbook, which I ADORE! I had the black powerbook before that, which I also adored, but OSX is way better. It's very stable, & built on unix, & you can open a terminal & use unix commands & stuff, too. My computer hasn't crashed or frozen in the 2 years I've had it. Sometimes a program will quit, but that's it. & I use it extensively every day, with lots of different programs. I grew up using PCs & crappy Macs at school, but when the newer powerbooks came out, they were so much nicer than any PC laptop, that I couldn't resist. They were the first ones to have the big screens (the newer powerbooks have 17" screens!! I'm lusting after one!), & I've heard that you get more for your money with the laptops with a mac.
    I can (& have) upgraded mine, but only to a certain point, but that's true of PC laptops, too. If you have a PC from like Hewlett packard, Dell, or Compaq, you have to buy parts from them to upgrade, or it might not work. If you do it yourself, it might not be compatible.
    I haven't had a problem emailing people files or anything now, but my old non-OSx computer had some difficulties.
    The new iMacs are really rad looking, but I really, really love the laptops. They're so pretty! (& good computers, because you shouldn't just buy a computer because it's cute, I guess... although once I saw that they had pink Hello Kitty laptops in Japan, & I would have definitely bought that!).
    I am SO freaking tired of the "only one button" argument of why not to get a mac. You either hold the button down longer, & the menu comes up that you get from right clicking on a PC, or control-click, or buy a two button mouse. It's not that hard!!
    I am also so freaking tired of PC users having viruses that send mail that looks like it is from me!!
    So, the only drawbacks: expensive programs, unless you have somewhere you can pirate free ones (that's what I do), & PC users think you're computer illiterate because you have a mac.

I covet that pink Hello Kitty laptop!

That being said I use PC for work but used Mac all through out college and even got a PC then traded it with my dad for a new ibook.

I had no problems FTPing SSHing, using X windows or running huge applications on my mac and I was a comp sci major. I wasn't hut with viruses, but i had alot of crashes on my powermac 7200 back in the day, my ibook crashes much less frequently and it's getting on in years as well.

I think Macs are easy to work with and just more fun, PCs seem all business to me. I of course use one for work b/c that's what I'm assigned, but if I had a choice I'd go with the mac...then again it's kind of hard with compatibility issues, I know I had some problems when I was looking for a job and some people could read my resume and some couldn't (all using word).

But I think you made a great choice :)

jt

I was raised on PCs so I think that at this point I just prefer them because they are more familiar to me. I've got an old piece of crap Mac here at work which, although hasn't convinced me to "come to the other side" but I can now at least see the virtues of Macs. I used to be completely anti-Mac, but now I see why people like them... and it doesn't hurt that they are pretty. I think that Macs are good for certain things and PCs are good for others. So the type of computer you purchase should really depend on what you want to do with it. Perhaps one day when I am rich I wil buy a Mac, but for now I am happy with my Dell notebook.

Though I will admit that I hope to get an iPod for my birthday this year!

ti
    Let's just say this, both of my parents work @ IBM and guess what they have at home? MACS!

ha! well, my dad also works at IBM and we all have PCs. i think there are tons of people at both Mac and IBM that have the other kind of hardware at home.

PCs have most of the programs. Macs are ignored by a lot of companies as a software market, so their upgrades are far less frequent and much more buggy. Adobe is dropping mac versions of some of its software, and I'm sure Microsoft won't be updating office for the mac anytime soon. The last office upgrade for mac was at least 4 years ago. Before that, I think it was 5+ years. That is a huge amount of time in the computer market, where a generation is every year or so.

I do like macs for the reasons listed above, but for me, they are in the yuppy-consumer category that I just can't afford. And I really dislike how they market their computers as some elitist superiority thing. It's like you buy a mac, then you belong to this mac club (with optional membership in the new vw bug club and mini cooper clubs).

I can assemble my own pc for a fraction of the price of a mac, and unless Apple gives me one for free, that's what I'll be doing when my current computer dies.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads