Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    good luck with it!

i've enjoyed this thread - it's nice to see someone reach a thoughful decision as you have, and i've enjoyed people's stories about union experience.

i am in a labor union and i can't stand it. i pay several hundreds of dollars a year for pretty much nothing. i have an office job at a non profit, and in my experience, it's really not necessary to be unionized.

however, i'm in san francisco, where there is a HUGE strike right now of the major hotel chains by the cleaning and maintence people. i pass about five of the big hotels on my way to work, and there are always people out there, at all hours, picketing. i feel awful that the people who can least afford to go without a paycheck are the ones always forced to to get better contracts.

2. # ADS

My sister lives and works near one of the hotels that's being picketed, and she's really sick of the strike and all the noise it causes. She said that a lot of the strikers are camping out on the sidewalks which makes it reallly hard to walk past the hotel safely. Their strike doesn't seem to be that effective, imo. Is it a different perspective in the city?

well, i think the idea is to make everyone sick of the noise, so people will put pressure on the hotels to resolve it.

i think what happened was that four of the hotels went on a strike for two weeks, and when they did that, the other ten all locked their workers out, and then when the first strike should have been over, they locked out those workers too.

they had agreed on most of the points, except the length of the contract. the unions want to synch up with all the other hotels in the country, which would give them tremendous power, and the hotels obviously want to prevent that.

i dunno, i live half a block from a major striking hotel, and work right there too, so of course the noise is annoying, but my sympathies are with the strikers who are trying to feed their families and save their healthcare and jobs.

Farming is our past and our future

Cool article! Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads