Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Where you are and where you thought you'd be

I've been feeling really intensely distraught about career and life and choices. so I thought I'd distract myself with other people's stories. :-)

Where are you now and where did you think you'd be?

2. # ADS

Where I am: working two part time library jobs.
    Where I thought I'd be: In fantasy land I thought I'd be a published author by now, in reality, a year ago I would've thought I'd be working at the same soul sucking admin job.

Current mood: Happy for the most part. I really enjoy my jobs, I only wish they were at the same library (instead of an hour apart in different directions) and had better hours (tomorrow I work 9-2:30 at the public library, 4-10pm at the university library so I'm lucky if I can remember my name at the end of the day). I really like the work and it has me seriously considering going back to school to get my MLS, but even if I don't I feel like I have more direction in my life now.

Where I'm at now:
    I'm in training to be a SAHM - eventually a WAHM.

Where I thought I'd be:
    I use to get depressed about my life choices until I started thinking about the good parts too - not just the bad. For all intents and purposes I was looking forward to a gratifying career in the Fine Arts - particularly owning my own high-end art studio. I can't pinpoint any one thing that detoured me away from this goal. It was a lot of little things that added up over time and moved me into other directions. I don't have regrets, and well, I'm only 33 and I understand a lot of women find themselves achieving their lifetime goals after 40... ha!

Well, I'm 21 and in college, which is how I expected it to be.

I did, though, figure that I'd be dating someone in college, and I am very definitely not. Also, I always imagined I'd be a journalism major, but journalism is nowhere in the picture now.

I'm trying not to make too many expectations for my future now, because I think it'll probably end up very different from the way I envision it.

Where I am:Merried,renting,thinking about going to school for the first time in my life...pondering home ownership in the comming year along with possibly getting pregnant...all while running my business and working a day job thats nice but not my dream.

Where I thought:Running my Interior Desgin Firm, living in LA with a boyfriend,partying it up.Calling my Mom to go on vacations and otherwise living a fast paced and rather superficial but fun life.

Happy where I am,looking forward to whatever future I/we create,no longer trying to figure out the meaning of life and what I am suppose to do.

Going with the flow but holding my oars in both hands.

No where near whereI thought I would be

Where I thought I would be--close to finishing up law school living in or heading to a bigger city. Single.

Where I am--married. still working on finishing a college degree(no law school after) running a crafty business and studying silversmithing. coming to realize the fact that I was born in NC and will more than likely die in NC.

I'm somewhat happy with where I am. Happily married. I know law school isn't for me, but I would like to have finished a college degree by now. I hate hate hate living in NC, I don't want to be stuck here for the rest of my life.

Life Dream:
    Turn 26, get LASIK, move to California, get a place of my own, get a dog, learn to surf (not necessarily in that order).

Where I am:
    27 have had lasik, gotten a condo an adorable dog and know how to surf...mostly :-P

I think I need to make up some more goals for myself. :)

jt

Where I am:

Working as the Secretary for the college I graduated from, in a 5 year realtionship living with my boyfriend, renting apartments, living in RI, a cat owner, night/weekend entrepreneur.

Where I thought I would be:

Freelance children's book illustrator, living in Albequerque NM, single, free.

Overall:

I love my boyfriend and kitty, and I am pretty happy with my job. I have a lot of freedom, and I am trying to get my stuffed creature/magnet set empire up and running. Someday I will quit this job and sew my days away. My boyfriend hopes to 'make it' so he can take care of the bills and I can stay home and have all the time in the world to sew, which is sweet, but depending how my plans for world domination go, I may hire him instead.

What a great topic! Reassuring to know I am not the only one thinking that way....

I am: 27 and living in Iowa with my wonderful boyfriend and our dog, a boxer. Crafting a lot, and working as head of purchasing for a manufacturing company. We own the house, which gives us a lot of freedom.

I thought I'd be: Married, having my first child by 30, designing clothes and jewelry full time.

I feel: Iowa is ok, but I miss Wisconsin. I love my boyfriend and most days am fine with how we are, but sometimes get ants in my pants about getting engaged. I am very happy how crafty I have made my life, and how much I have taught myself to do. I also love purchasing!

I am totally not where I ever, ever thought I would be. I work at a Jewish nonprofit, am traveling to Israel for an intensive yeshiva program for a month, and am seriously thinking about rabbinical school. It blows my mind sometimes to think that me--who didn't set foot in a synagogue for 4 years--is now keeping the traditional dietary laws and Shabbat laws. I don't eat non-kosher meat, I don't drive, work, touch money, write or go out from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown, I am keeping a kosher kitchen next year, I actually love studying Torah...it's all wonderful, but still, very different from where I thought I'd be.

I guess I thought I'd be doing something more fabulous. The progression was very organic though--just me following different things till it got me here. I actually wanted to be a makeup artist in college, but found a job at a museum after college, loved it, and decided to go back to school for non-profit management. I got an internship at the nonprofit I'm now the assistant director of, which works with Jewish college students, and they hired me on full-time. Working with them made me realize how absolutely fascinating I found traditional Jewish history, culture, etc. to be, and whaddya know, here I am, thinking about becoming a rabbi.

Still, I'm single, no kids except the cats, no savings to speak of. I really thought I'd be married by now with kids on the way--except it turned out that I've still not yet met the man who's meant for me. And, I'm much happier and more fulfilled than I thought I would be. So if singleton-status is the tradeoff for that for a while, I'm content!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads