Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning tips

cleaning tips

i feel like helouise...
    I use baking soda to clean the sink, it's a mild abrasive. It's also good to sprinkle the carpet to absorb odors, run around on it then vacuum. I put some in the garbage pail to keep it smelling nice too.
    Someone from another board said that bleach mixed with water, sprayed on mildew is the cheapest and most effective method.

What are your cleaning tips? It's time for spring cleaning!
    jt

2. # ADS

I love baking soda, I use it for everything

-put it a little in with the laundry
    -bottom of the litter boxes
    -dump some down the toilet if you have a septic tank

We buy the big 10 pound box of baking soda from Sams club.

I second(third?) the love of baking soda! I dump about 1/4 of a cup down the garbage disposal and then chase it with an equal amount of white vinegar. It removes bad smells AND makes cool fizz

-Anna

Though I'm a little disappointed that I bought the hype, I have to say that the swiffer duster and the swiffer wetjet both really rock and do almost sorta make doing the cleaning fun.

Esp the duster. I'm amazed at how much yuck that thing traps. I like to wave it in my husband's face, shouting, "Look! This would have all gone in our lungs! Look at it!" and I'm always amazed he doesn't want to look at the scungy duster.

Also, I've heard that both coca cola and alka-seltzer can make the toilet cleaner and sparkly. Not sure if it's true.

"Esp the duster. I'm amazed at how much yuck that thing traps. I like to wave it in my husband's face, shouting, "Look! This would have all gone in our lungs! Look at it!" and I'm always amazed he doesn't want to look at the scungy duster. "

They're like biore pads for your floor :)
    I only wish I could find a big costco sized cheap package of the cloths so I wouldn't feel so bad about using them, as the dog hair piles up....

jt

Cheaper swiffer sheets

I read that you can use a dryer sheet that you've already put through the dryer in your swiffer to save money. I haven't tried it, since I don't use dryer sheets. I use an old dish towel- I guess it doesn't have the same static cling that the swiffer sheets have, but I hate to use disposable products since they're so bad for the enviornment. If you don't mind that, though, & the used dryer sheets don't work, non-used ones will probably have more cling & be cheaper than the actual swiffer ones, huh?
    I can't think of any good cleaning tips I have actually... guess I need to start actually cleaning more before I get any good ones!! I am not the most tidy person...

Morgan - thanks for the tip. I have been so conflicted b/c I don't really like using disposable stuff, yet the dusters work so well. I was hoping I could re-use the duster arm and find a way to stick some sort of washing or resusable cleaning thing on the end.

I've heard you can also wash and reuse the Swiffer duster sheets, just throw them in with the laundry. (I haven't tried this yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.)

You're all smart ladies...maybe you can help me figure out a mystery.

The other day, my shampoo bottle fell and a little bit of shampoo oozed out into the bathtub. It sat there for a day before I realized it. When I rinsed it away, the part of the tub that was under the shampoo was AMAZINGLY clean- like I mean so shiny it looked like new. Much better cleaner than any scrubbing could do.

So- I want to try and figure out how to do this for my whole bathtub! Wouldn't be awesome to slather up your bathtub with something and leave it sit for a day and then come back to a sparkly new tub the next day without any work??

Do you think it was the citrus in my shampoo? Do you gals have any ideas on products to use?

Thanks for your help!

cleaning the tub and services

pottymouth, wow. never heard of that before, but i guess leaving some sort of cleaning solvent on all day would get it clean. what brand of shampoo was it?

my favorite cleaning product is something i make myself:
    bunch of drops of tea tree oil
    4 drops of lavendar
    1 cups of water
    mix together in a spray bottle.

it disenfects naturally and without all the yucky chemicals. i especially like to use it on my son's baby toys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads