Thread: Friends

Friends

Did anyone watch the finale? I thought it had a really great ending. It felt like a nice end without being too contrived like the seinfeld episode that all of the morning news shows kept comparing it to. It seemed a bit ridiculous that they had 4 people talking about the show that had nothing to do with it, trying to predict the end, but it ended well, what am I going to do on thursday nites now? :)

i guess there's always joey! :)

jt

2. # ADS

i missed it! can you give me a recap?

I was doing other stuff simultaneously, but here's how I saw it.

Starts out with Rachel getting dressed in the morning. Ross pops his head up from under the comforter and they kiss and wax romantic about their splendiferous night together. Ross of course is thinking that she will stay, but Rachel of course says it was the most wonderful goodbye. Poor Ross.

Erica, pregnant girl, is in labor. Chandler and Monica go with her to welcome their baby into the world. Chandler has a few scary moments one on one with a ditzy girl having contractions where he compares childbirth to getting kicked in the nuts. They are there for the baby, a boy. Named Jack for Mon's dad. Doc says, ready for number two? Surprise! Mon and Chandler didn't know. Erica didn't know because she's too stupid to understand what two heartbeats meant during all the previous exams. Baby #2 is a girl, named Erica. Erica, the birth mother, says, Wow, that's just like my name! (Echoed by Joey later on...) A few minutes of what'll we do with two, but Monica is in control and of course they take both.

Meanwhile Joey has gotten Chandler and Monica a housewarming present. Chick Jr and Duck Jr., Cute and fuzzy living in a box with a heat lamp over the foosball table for now. Phoebe tactfully refers to the previous duck and chicken as going away to a farm somewhere which Joey has always believed. (Shades of Phoebe always thinking Old Yeller has a happy ending?)

Joey and Phoebe find out about Ross and Rachel spending the night together. Ross at first says he won't kiss and tell, but you know Ross. He tells them that Rachel is thinking of it as a farewell, but he really loves her. Phebes tells him he has to tell her.

Later, P, J and Ross are in Central Perk talking about him telling Rachel. She comes in but has a tender moment with Gunther telling her he has always loved her and doesn't know if that will change her mind about moving to Paris. She tells him sentimentally that Paris is full of glow in the dark haired men and she will think of him... Ross is pissed because Gunther says exactly what he never had the cojones to say. Rachel waltzes out.

(Mon and Chandler bring the baby Bings home.) Joey is fingerpainting a 'welcome home baby' poster with red paint. Phoebe says what's that big red blob in the corner, the baby? And he says, no, he sat in the paint. Mike comes in with a beautiful welcome home baby poster he freehanded, pissing Joey off enough that he sits in the wet paint again. M&C walk in with the babes. Surprise! Mike says he wants a baby. Phoebe says hell yeah, millions of em.

There are a lot of rough areas where they really had to compress time in the show. Mon leaves the babies alone a lot, Emma is nowhere to be seen, although they do mention she's at Rachel's mother's (Marlo Thomas). She will come to Paris later.

Joey goes across the hall to get his housewarming gift, but the baby birds are in the foosball table. Chandler comes over to help, but they are too sentimental to break up the table to rescue the birds. Mon to the rescue. Imagine That Girl with a maul and a crowbar. They get Joey to keep the birds because now he'll have an extra room. He says he's gonna get a goose, too.

Rachel walks out after seeing the babies, says she's late for her plane, says goodbye, but reserves a special kiss for Ross at the door. The rest of them just watch as she walks away, knowing Ross is crushed.

Phoebe insists on taking Ross in her grandma's yellow cab to follow Rachel. He's terrified of her driving. Some dork gets in the cab and they have a scream fest as only Phoebe can, although Ross is pretty good at screaming, too. They speed off for the airport. Phebes makes him buy tickets for both of them so they can get past the gate. The rush through only to find Rachel's flight is not listed. They call Mon, who puts the babies on the phone while Ross is yelling at her. Mon finally tells them that Rache was leaving from Newark, not LaGuardia or wherever they are now.

Rachel meanwhile has boarded. She gets a phone call with Phoebe who demands Rachel get off the plane right now, that she has a premonition that a 'Phallangie' is missing. Rachel thinks that's sooo sweet, but declines. The nervous seat mate in the biggest seats I've ever seen in coach asks her what that was all about. Hysteria ensues with him insisting that a phallangie is missing and the flight attendant saying there never was one... Everyone leaves the plane. Rachel follows, what the hell. (remember that we all know Phoebe's fake name is Regina Phallangie?)

Phoebe and Ross race to Newark, an hour away. Meanwhile the flight crew 'fixes' all the nonexistent phallangies. People start to reboard. Ross and Phoebe rush up to the gate as Rachel is walking through the tunnel. Ross yells for her, but she doesn't hear. Phoebe screams and Rachel comes back.

Ross goes up to her and tells her he loves her like five times. She's touched and embraces him back but says she has to leave. He goes home while she boards. Phoebe tells everyone else the bad news. Ross slumps on his leather sofa and morosely listens to his answering machine. Rachel is the only message, she says she can't believe she didn't tell him she loved him too. Husky voiced. She repeats she loves him then says "what am I doing?, Stewardess, I have to get off this plane!" A fight ensues, with Ross listening to it on his answering machine. He's yelling at the flight attendant as the recording cuts off. He's crushed again. Rachel walks back in through his front door.

The end.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzymahoney
    There are a lot of rough areas where they really had to compress time in the show. Mon leaves the babies alone a lot, Emma is nowhere to be seen, although they do mention she's at Rachel's mother's (Marlo Thomas). She will come to Paris later.
    it makes me crazy how unrealistic that show makes parenthood. i'm always screaming at the tv, where's the damn baby? rachel and ross act like she's a prop. and why didn't ross say to rachel: you can't take my daughter to paris? he never even mentioned it. argh!

I'm with jean. I feel like they totally ignored Emma in the whole moving to Paris thing.

After Gunther tells Rachel he loves her, Ross says he can't do it because he doesn't want to get rejected like Gunther. Phoebe says, "But you're different! You slept with her last night!" HELLO? How about, "Um, yes, but you have a child with her and she loves you. Remember Emma? Yeah, the short one who shows up once in a while."

It's frustrating to me that there's some comment in the episode about being grownups now or something to that effect when they're NOT! A grownup Ross or Rachel would have said to the other, "We really need to talk about this Paris thing and how it's going to effect the fact that we have a baby together." Because it's not like Ross was out of the picture and having nothing to do with Emma. Did it even occur to him that his baby was going to be living on another continent? (Yes, Joey, that's the right word.)

So now two of the few shows I've seen almost every episode of have ended - Friends and Sex and the City. Carrie gave up a great career to move to Paris with Aleksandr. Now as a Paris and Michie lover, I can't fault anyone for moving there with him. :-) Except that it was with total disregard for her life in New York. She's worked hard to acheive something that a lot of dream of, making a living writing, and then even having her columns put into a book!

Then Rachel steps off the plane at the last minute and gives up something she's been working for for ten years. Her dream job, really. Gives it up because neither one of them could be grown up enough to discuss the effects of her moving beforehand. Because Ross couldn't suggest that they have fossils in France, too.

Two shows that are supposed to be completely modern and in touch and all of those things end by having the women give up their lives for their men.

This sounds like a rant I would have rolled my eyes at a few years ago, so I won't blame you if you do. I guess I've just gotten to a point where I'm tired of my gender affecting decisions, like when I decided to get married and my uncle said, "But I thought you were going to have a career?" And eventually we're going to want children, and I can only imagine it'll be worse. And unrealistic TV shows aren't helping.

We don't know that Rachel and Ross definately don't move to Paris...they kind of just left it.

If you loved someone and you needed time to think, wouldn't you just say 'screw it' and let the plane ticket go to waste and then talk it over with them in person and then plan from there? That's how I interpreted it.

I mean I can't imagine paying for 4 plane tickets I wouldn't use (ross and phoebe at jfk and at newark) but he did...a) b/c it's tv, they have unlimited money and b) b/c it's romantic...it would have been just as easy to call her 'in real life' but this is tv.

I know the leaving the baby thing was bizzare, but then again they had to compress it all down into one episode, i suppose they could have spent another season letting the kids grow...but also on most tv shows, the mom has a baby and then the next season it's 3 or 4 years old, i.e. growing pains, b/c it's just too hard to deal with the inbetween phase...we accept that.

So that's why I accept the unrealistic parenting, it's a sitcom, not an exact replica of life.

jt

Quote Originally Posted by sun bear
    If you loved someone and you needed time to think, wouldn't you just say 'screw it' and let the plane ticket go to waste and then talk it over with them in person and then plan from there?
    No, I wouldn't. I would have gone to Paris. I'll even forget about Emma from her point of view and absolve Rachel of the error, because as far as she was concerned, she wasn't in love with Ross and they weren't getting back together.

But he clearly was still in love with her, and it definitely was a problem that she was leaving. So if he couldn't bring it up until I was on the plane, I would have told him to come to Paris where they expected me to be showing up for work and we would talk about it there. But to me, she said she was staying. I didn't get the impression at all that she was going to hop on tomorrow's flight to France after they had a chat. To me, it ended with her giving up the career she'd worked for for almost a decade because sorryass Ross couldn't say anything.

I just thought the finale was too eye roll worthy. The whole Joey thing with the duck and chick was boring. I kept expecting him to get a call to go out to LA.

I guess I got all caught up in the parenting thing -- even though I'm not a parent! I mean, just because Erica had twins does that mean Monica and Chandler automatically get both of them? Isn't there some paperwork invovled in that? (I was irritated by the fact that they were able to get a baby so soon, the average wait in NY for adopting couples is 7 to 9 years)And they bring home new born babies (who never cry once) and continue packing for the move. I would imagine that would change your schedule a bit!

I think that characters having babies on programs is just one way to show that the writers have run out of ideas. I don't like babies being used as props because I think it's such a negative reflection of real life. I remember how everyone made a big deal when Murphy Brown had a baby, but then after the Dan Quail controversy was over, the baby was nonexistant on the show.

Yeah, I know it's just a tv show, but I suppose I can only suspend my disbelief for so long.

wuzzled,
    All I can say is I'm sorry you were dissapointed, maybe I bought into it b/c work is not THAT important to me, work is something I do to pass the time and make cash, that's not what defines me...then again maybe I'm projecting that on Rachael, maybe work is the only important thing in her life, but from what the show seems like their friends are the most important thing, you don't see them all working long hours and on weekends, you see them hanging about in coffee shops and using nannies so they can hang out together, versus going in on a saturday (like me today ARGH).

I also may be overanalyzing...:-P

I still think it was better than seinfeld where they all ended up in jail.

jt

Remove Ads

Ads