Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

women proposal stories/help

Hello,

I am contemplating proposing to my boyfriend of 4 years. I know that he is the one I want to marry and build my life with. The only thing is that I've always wanted him to do it, but I fear that if I don't do it, he never will. We talk about the future, growing old together, etc and are still very much in love ...So, what are your experiences with proposing to your s.o? Any advice?

2. # ADS

What a fantastic topic! My sweetness proposed to me (sorry, I know it doesn't specifically answer your question, but can I tell it nonetheless?) after dating 2 years and friends for 1. Throughout our dating relationship he never told me he loved me because that was something that he would only tell his wife. Anyway a week before Valentines Day (my favorite day of the whole year) he took me to the Japanese Gardens in Fort Worth and asked if next week I would be his Valentine. And I said "Of Couse". And he asked if next year I would be his Valentine and then sank to one knee, told me he loved me, and asked if I would be his Valentine for as long as we both shall live.

Ahhh Perfect.

I really wouldn't know what you could do to propose to him. But I know how I excellerated my proposal by talking about it. I would leave hints here and there that I wanted to be engaged. It had nothing to do with merely having a ring on my finger, I just wanted a commitment. A lot of people I know even thought I was silly to push it since I'm only 23 but I knew I wanted to be with Jim.
    It was always the same ordeal as you were talking about...you talk about it, say how you imagine being old together...ect.... But I didn't think I was being clear enough sometimes. So I started asking questions like, where do we want to live, when do we want to have kids, how many kids should we have...things like that. Once I always brought stuff up like that he got the hint that I was tired of just being the girlfriend.
    I don't know if that helps you, but it's the best advice I have!

I just kind of blurted it out one day and he said yes. Don't know if that will help you any, but it worked out well for me.

I'm not much of a romantic, so this probably won't be helpful. He didn't propose to me, I didn't propose to him - we just talked about it and decided to get married. I've always thought the whole proposal thing was a little weird - like a major decision about the rest of your life should be a surprise constructed around a piece of jewerly?

I remember asking my dad as a kid, "How did you propose to mom?" (Despite being a good little proto-feminist, I assumed that my dad had proposed.) He just grinned and said my mom had proposed to him, and that her exact words were, "What the hell, why don't we just get married then?" (I later found out that they had been talking about shacking up, and their parents were dead set against it, thus prompting the "what the hell" proposal.)

Again, not very romantic ... but I kind of like the nonromantic stories the best.

I love the idea of you proposing to him. Why does it have to originate with the guy, anyhow?

There may even be sites out there that specifically deal with this topic maybe/

Best of luck!

Well there was that episode of Friends.........where Monica proposed to Chandler!

i am such a cheeseball - that episode of friends had me sobbing!

Quote Originally Posted by xuli
    I remember asking my dad as a kid, "How did you propose to mom?" He just grinned and said my mom had proposed to him, and that her exact words were, "What the hell, why don't we just get married then?" Again, not very romantic ... but I kind of like the nonromantic stories the best.
    I think that's very romantic Xuli! Hmm..

Dunno, I was talking about this with a friend of mine and she was surprised how traditional I am when it comes to marriage. All my friends seem to think I don't give a crap about marriage, that I'm perfectly comfortable playing couple. Even though I haven't practised in a long time, perhaps my catholic upbringing has something to do with these expectations. To my utter dismay, I do expect the guy to propose, *romantically.* It's pathetic and I hate it.

My partner and I have been together 4.5 years. All our friends who've been together just as long (some shorter) are engaged/married. It's not that I wanna jump on the bandwagon.. I'd still feel like this regardless. I just don't wanna have to think that I'll be the one to ask.

But that's just me being stupid. I can't help it. *Sigh* not a good subject for me today, sorry.

Ramonaquimby - I think the gesture in itself is the most romantic thing anyone can ever do for their partner. He sounds like a great guy and you guys have a wonderfully rare thing going too. He's very lucky to have a girl with so much love for him. One thing though, what makes you think he'll never propose?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads