Thread: Dog food

Dog food

A friend of mine, her dog is going blind and her vet said it has to do with the dog food. Apparantly it is made with so many horrible things that over aperiod of time it causes all kinds of bad side effects. ALL kinds of dog food from the high end to the low end...

So now my friend is cooking her dogs meals (she was going to buy organic but it was too expensive so now she mades a batch of food every three days).

Has anyone heard of this before? Is this true?

2. # ADS

Oh my god, that's so sad. I've never heard of that before—you'd think in all the years people have had dogs and fed them various kinds of dog food, something like this might have been noticed by now. I have no idea whether it's true.

Now that I think of it, though, my old dog did develop cataracts in her later years, and I know that's a common thing that happens...maybe there is a connection. At any rate, the poor dog. I hope it gets better, or at least not any worse.

Hmm I doubt if that's true. Of course I don't know about the US but here in NL there are excellent, good and regular dogfoods, but none of them are really bad for the dog's health.

I always vary the food of my cats, just to be sure. ;)

i actually know of lots of people who make their own dog food. i did for my ailing doggie because he couldn't really handle the store brands any more. i made him oatmeal and ground beef with brown rice. but even with the bad dog food, our pets live really long, good lives.

What brand of dog food was it? Just curious. There is something called the BARF diet which stands for Bones and Raw Food. There is some controversy over it, but there are many proponents of this diet, you can probably do an internet search on it or try http://www.doggroups.com and search on there. They have given the advice that if your dog is ill to cook him/her chicken and rice b/c it's a bland diet.

It's possible your friend unwittingly fed a 'bad' brand of dog food, some are better than others, the metrics I'm told to look for are:
    meat names such as lamb or chicken as the first ingredient and not 'chicken meal' but just chicken
    and to have a smaller serving, the cheaper dog foods have less nutrients so you have to feed huge amounts to give your dog what it needs...less servings also mean less waste

There are some great dog foods though, Natural Balance is very good, it's dick van patten's dog food, they also make food for the san diego zoo and don't perform animal testing. The only reason I didn't keep feeding it to my dog b/c it was giving her alot more gas than the food that the shelter fed her, which was nutra nuggets (costco sells it). Also the price was much higher, over 20 dollars for a 17 lb bag, whereas the food I feed is about 16 dollars for a 40 lb bag. Generally the cheaper the food, the poorer it is in quality, but I believe this food is decent, it is just cheap b/c I'm buying it in warehouse quantities.

The doggroups have a whole section on foods under the chat.

Good luck!
    jt

sigh of relief! i feel much better now. it's hard enough cooking for thekids, much less the dogs too. doggie drive thru? they don't have them yet! thanks for the caring, attentive responses!

I read and bookmarked an article about this a couple of years ago (I'll incl. a link below) when I was researching recurrent bladder stones in my dog, Chloe. After a lot of research I do not feel that all commercial dog food is created equal, so it is important to read labels on dog food (like you would your own food).

I know that since changing Chloe's food she no longer has a problem - coincidence? I do not believe it is. I think that this article is particularly interesting: http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm It lists references if anyone is interested in further reading.

IMO I believe that your friends dog could have gone blind because of poor nutrition. You might ask her if the Vet diagnosed her dog with Diabetes Mellitus, which has a lot to do with feeding dogs commercial diets that have a lot of cereal (carbs) that overload their pancreas. A symptom is blindness.

CraftyChica,

We have two mini dachshunds who when we adopted them were eating alpo. That food has a lot of grain and not much meat in it. Also the grocery store brand like Alpo etc have a lot of crummy by-products in them, their meat sources are iffy at best. We switched the dogs over to Canidae brand kibble (available at the pet food store). There are also pre-made raw dogfoods you can buy. We buy Steve's Real Food raw nuggets (they come frozen and you thaw out a few at a time)http://www.stevesrealfood.com/ . The meat used in these foods is human grade. Our dogs do SO well on this food combo. They are a little toooooo healthy (by healthy I mean too full of it ;) )

I feel ya about not wanting to cook the dogs a meal too, when you have kids and a hubby to feed. The thought of making a special raw diet for my dogs, AND making dinner for my elderly dad and partner everynite made me feel dizzy!

-Leah

ps a great mag if you are interested in pet health and training is called Whole Dog Journal. It's not some big glossy mag, but it is full of great info and it comes with holes punched in it so you can put it in a 3 ring binder.

I was basically told by breeders and vets that if you can buy it at the grocery store, it's like feeding dogs doritos-- empty calories, lots of artificial color, and no real nutrition. We ended up feeding my mom's dogs, my dog, and all of my cats some form of Nutro, and all of them are doing well on it. The cats have much nicer coats and fewer hairballs and much less 'stinky poos' as we like to call them; my mom's older dog has more energy and has regained her girlish figure, the younger is doing well, and our puppy has done well too. They now have an indoor cat formula and an "ultra" for dogs.

:)

Just a warning, not that this will happen to your dog, but when I fed my dog nutro, she threw up each morning. I had thought it was people food so no more treats, then thought it was her biscuits going stale so i threw them out, then when i realized that it was orange and similar in color to nutro did i deduce the culprit. Apparently some dogs can't keep nutro down, but some dogs thrive on it. Just something to consider, in case you have nice carpets and want to keep them that way :-\ why do dogs only want to puke on carpet when there's tile an inch away? Sigh

jt

Remove Ads

Ads