Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Resourceful (but no handmade)

64 96.97%
  • Tacky (never never never)

2 3.03%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Any thoughts on regifting?

So, I've been stuck at home, on the couch with bronchitis (or at least that's what webMD says, no medical insurance yet!) and have been catching up on my day-time television. So...
    On Oprah the other day she had four ettiquette experts on and they talked about regifting. Two of them (the authors of The Fabulous Girls Guide to Decorum, who seemed pretty rich-girl-snotty) thought it was really tacky, one thought it was fine and the other just wanted to talk about how men suck. The folks that I go to for most of my etiquette/what to wear questions (the wardrobe boys at my old theatre) are avid regifters. I know I've gotten regifted things from them and I know they have regifted stuff I have given them. I don't actually mind because it is usually something for an opening night gift, so it's not specifically for them, and as a gift it still satisfies a need they have (to give a gift to someone else).
    I think I would only draw the line at something I had made myself, and I guess if asked I wouldn't lie and say I bought the item.
    What do you think? Is regifting really a no-no and NEVER done, or is it accepted within reason?

2. # ADS

If snobby people say that it's tacky, I tend not to agree with them.

The way I see it, a gift is something that should bring joy to someone else.

My friend was looking for a scarf of mine in one of my drawers and fell upon a gag gift I planned on giving her -- it was a dusty framed card from the 70s of a cheesy drawing of Norma Jean (not Marily, ha). I said, "AGH!" And she said, "IS THIS FOR ME? OH MY GOD!!!"

Obviously, I spent only two dollars on it, its' yellowing, and it's cheesy. BUT I KNEW she'd get a kick out of it.

I seriously think it's okay to do, as long as you keep what the person likes in mind, which a lot of people don't do even when they go out shopping.

If you get a gift that you're not crazy about or that you know you won't use, but you know just the person who will love it, then I think it's almost an obligation to give it to that person.

On the other hand, if you get a gift that you don't like and you give it to someone just to have something to give that person, knowing that she/he won't like it any more than you do, then that's tacky.

I don't see how it's any worse than returning something to the store, which I think is tackier than re-gifting. With regifting, they're saying "It doesn't suit me, but I know the perfect person!!" Returning stuff says to me "This wasn't good enough, and I can shop better for myself than you can."

This is just me, of course.

I have never understood people who think re-gifting is tacky.

Providing you approach it in the same spirit with which you'd buy a gift (appropriate, something you think the receiver would like), I don't see the issue.

Re-gifting gets a bad name from people who say, "Oh, I've run out of money to buy a gift for so-and-so. Rather than scouting around for something inexpensive and nice, or just getting them a card, I'll free up some space in the back of my closet and pass on this piece of tacky crap."

Some people seem to get offended by the idea that re-gifting doesn't cost the giver any money. This really makes no sense. Would they interpret a gift purchased on sale as somehow having less value than a gift bought at full price?

It's only tacky if you regift to the person who got you the gift in the first place (unless it's one of those white elephant types that nobody wants, and then it can be funny to give it back to someone the next year).

Exactly! I do think we put to much emphasis on how much things cost. We often get great deals from my husband's work. It could be worth $20 but we paid $1 for it. I often have a hard time rationalising that it is the perfect gift for someone and that we don't have to go out and spend more money just to take our expenditure up to $20.

If I receive something and it's a perfectly good gift that I just know I'll never use, then it is a shame not to re-gift. Case in point: I was reviewing a general wish list of children at an ophanage recently, wanting to pick up some xmas presents. One thing that teenage girls supposedly want is Bath & Body type things. I immediately thought of a birthday present I received this summer. A set of three such items - retail value about $28. They were sitting in a cupboard somewhere - where they probably would have lived out their existence. Bingo - a great gift for a teenage girl who might not have received much.

I also remember my thrifty mom. Being a teacher, she got a lot of bath oil and things like that, As she didn't bath (but showered), she found ways to re-cycle (re-gift).

I think it's totally acceptable, as long as you're not doing it to just get rid of the gift that you didn't like. If you think someone else would like it more, go for it.

i frequently re-gift things that i don't like, or more often, can't use. i remember one year my cousin gave my mom, sister, and i lotion and shower gel from Victoria's Secret. it is, of course, the thought that counts, but nobody in my family can use highly fragranced body stuff because we all have sensitive skin and allergies. but they made perfect hostess gifts. i wouldn't re-gift something from someone close to me that i know they put a lot of thought into. and i don't re-gift things to my family members. if i think they would want it, i'll just tell them someone gave it to me and ask if they want to take it.

i think there are circumstances when you CAN regift basically to get rid of something. sort of basic gifts can be good re-gifts for co-workers you barely know, hostess gifts, gifts for those white elephant parties, etc. as long as it's an item that most people could use (a vase, or flavored oil set), rather than something customized and specific

I think it's fine, as long as you're sensitive about it. Like, I wouldn't go telling the person who originally gave it to me that I was giving it away again, they might be hurt. And hopefully the person who you give it to next doesn't know the person who gave it to YOU! That could get embarrassing.

Laeticia Baldridge, who was Jackie Kennedy's social secretary during the White House years, says that the former first lady used to regift all the time. I think if Jackie's allowed, we are too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads