the problem with -isms and MAs

so i'm finally getting my computer back from the people at apple, all repaired and ready to go.

which means two things.

1. expanding my blog into more than just a blog. but as it's an 'ism' i can go anywhere with it, which means i also could go nowhere. yikes! i'm thinking about doing some stuff with the dilemmas of ethical living that we all seem to face as well as more links/ideas. but i'm kinda stuck. and looking for ideas. bueller? bueller? anyone?

2. i'm also super poor at the moment and need more ideas of places to pitch stories for, places that need writers, etc etc. as i would like to get paid in the long run, in the short run, i need to beef up my cv.

i know it's the holidays, and people are super busy. but if you have a little bit of time to respond or even just a link that would be helpful. i'd be super super grateful if you'd either respond here or shoot me an email.

x
    betsy

2. # ADS

the wierdest thing about the 'new' getcrafty is that you can see how many times people have seen your posts!

I wish I could offer some advice at the moment. In response to question 2, what kind of stuff are you looking to publish in? Magazines, etc? Or what kind of writing do you do?

lately i'm just not sure what i want to write. or who i want to write for.

i'm really wanting to continue on with knitting/craft research i was doing for my MA, with dealth with issues of feminism, oral tradition, the history of knitting and domesticity.

i'm looking for grants in regards to research/educational funding, but it's making my headspin at the moment..

So, I'm guessing you've already tried the grant search engine thing on the .gov site (ETA: or the british equivalent to it) ? I tried that once to do research for a school project, and that made my head spin as well.

I'd suggest getting articles published in the online crafting world so that you have some more creds? If you don't already? But with your education it sounds like you could easily write a feature article for any feminist-minded magazine like Bitch, Bust, Venus, etc.

They don't pay well, of course, but they do pay...

thanks for the ideas.

i've been looking at some of those mags, but i'm just concerned (probably overly so) that i'll just be rehashing the same ideas and won't have anything new to add!

and on the grant-seeking tip, i think they make it as confusing as possible just so you get scared out of applying!

online stuff has me also scared because for some reason, basic html is all i can do. must be braver in 2005!

x

i've been looking at some of those mags, but i'm just concerned (probably overly so) that i'll just be rehashing the same ideas and won't have anything new to add!
    Well, actually, I haven't seen a lot of pieces on how crafting DOES relate to activism. In fact, I'm struggling with that right now because I'm scared that people don't see it that way. There's been a lot of focus on how crafting is a liberating, third wave feminism sort of thing, but I haven't actually seen many things on subjects like "bake back the white house" and fundraising through crafts, etc.

So, is that something to consider, maybe? Siiince you've got the website down and all?

I'm interested in that sort of stuff too! I keep hearing a lot of people say crafting is an activist movement in itself and I'm a little lairy on that... I've HEARD about bake back the whilehouse but an article with pictures, how it went, all that stuff would be cool.

why are you lairy of crafts being political, mlleemily?

i'm really curious now...

Remove Ads

Ads