Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs!

oh ira, what a peanut! he looks SO soft. awh.

2. # ADS

You may want to adopt from a rescue network ... this is the link to rosie's, in Montreal. They do amazing things.

http://www.rosieanimaladoption.org/

cheers,

del

My fiance adopted our dog, a 3 year old boxer, from a vet. Our friend worked there, and they had taken the dog in from someone who couldn't have the puppy with their older dog. He was 6 months old when he got him, and we love him so much, he's such a good dog.

My uncle got a springer spaniel from the local Humane Society, and she is a wonderful dog.

I think that ia lot of it will depend on the breed of dog.

acebeader, you're so lucky! i LOVE boxers! i grew up with boxers, and they can be the most amazing dogs. in my family, we always say that after having boxers, you "speak boxer", and can always relate to them after that. they are really different from other dogs in a lot of ways. like the way they come at you butt-and-head-first, curled into a C shape, wiggling :)

we thought about getting another boxer after Ray (our last, ancient, decrepit boxer) died, but somehow we ended up serendipitously with Jimmy, who is mostly Pointer.

We are very lucky! When we started dating, I thought he was the wierdest dog, after having springer spaniels my whole life. Stell, you are right, he's just different than every other dog! He is just so wonderful, energetic, and is a constant source of entertainment. He wakes us up on the weekends by jumping on the bed, and just wiggling away! He is a shorter, skinnier boxer, and he's a beautiful bruendl color.

Sorry to gush, but I really adore him!

My story:
    We tried to adopt but didn't pass 'inspection' because our pet (looking for a very little short haird dog such as a chiauau or pugg) would be alone in the house two hours a day.
    It made me so sad.There are so many here that need rescuing yet a constraint of two hours a day alone made it so they wouldn't allow us to have one.
    My husband and I thought it would be a good idea so we could get used to caring for another life(prep for children) and for all the otehr reasons already stated.
    I still want one so bad and will probably have to buy him/her from a pet store for more $ and instead of a shelter or rescue. :( I really don't think 2 hours is barberic.

My wonderful grommet is from a shelter. The people there really made sure our personalities matched, by NOT showing us the dog we wanted to see, but asking us questions about what we wanted it a dog, and showing us different dogs. I love having an older dog, b/c it was like instant dog, sure she wasn't a 'puppy in a window' but she is adorable and came potty trained. Also I know what she will look like, alot of puppies are of mixed heritage and they can't guarantee that one won't turn into a clifford, or if it will stay small and delicate.

My advice is to visit at least 5 shelters and look around and see how the staff treats the dogs and people. Do this one one weekend. Then go again after discussing it and picking a shelter you want to work with. It's not a good idea to do an impulse get. I did that for a second dog and it turned out poorly. The people were really very agressive about trying to get rid of this dog and have us take her. They were over an hour from my house so I gave in to my feeling sorry for the dog, and she did not work out with my current dog, they were sort of indifferent (trust your instincts!) but when they came home, the new dog would growl and snap at the other dog, it was not pretty. Basically trust your instincts and also take time to make the decision. I had visited the shelter the week before I got grommet but couldn't adopt because I was in the middle of moving. I fell in love with another ridgeback and wanted to take her home, but it wasn't meant to be, she was adopted the day before I was able to go back! However I had passed over grommet initially because she seemed like an agressive barker, but after talking to the staff, they really convinced me that they had worked with her (even taking her home) to insure that she was indeed not agressive).

Petfinder is great, but I found the shelter that pressured me into taking a dog, but they also list the great shelter where I got grommet.

As for expenses, I buy food at costco, I get a 40lb bag for 16-17 dollars. I buy heartworm and flea medication at between 10-15 dollars per application of each.
    I buy treats and accessories like beds and toys.
    Vet visits can creep up. My friend was walking grommet and lost her for 3 hours, she got pretty scratched up and some bandaging cost 175 (friend nicely paid for it).
    Teeth cleaning is 300 dollars.

Not that a dog needs all of these things, but I'd rather do with out some luxuries to make sure my dog has the best life I can give it, so I don't skimp when it comes to my best pal :)

congrats on your decision!
    jt

deborahthecraft, you should talk to another rescue group! that's a pretty ridiculous requirement. the rescue lady we got our dog from knew he would be alone for a few hours a day. most places have certain requirements about having a fenced yard, permission from a landlord, and a minimally safe house situation, but i think two hours of alone-time being too much is pretty ridiculous.

try looking at county shelters, also.

I love both of my dogs but have to say I was most impressed with my result of using Petfinder.com. We have two Golden retrievers and one we bought from a pet store (Rusty) and one we got from searching petfinder and got her from a local shelter (Sadie). Sadie has been the best dog, I love her so much. She was abused, and has a scare in her eye from being hit. I love my rusty too, but sadie seems more calm and glad to just have a home! Rusty has behavior problems, he's like a teenage boy! He is a little rough when he plays and barks at everything. We don't have kids, but when we do I'm really hoping rusty calms down a bit.
    Anywho, I definetely would adopt, I doubt you would be unsatisfied.

oh and Debrahthecraft-I also had a hard time with a rescue group. We drove to Philly to see a dog that 6 other familes were interested in and they didn't tell us! Finally after months of waiting to hear if we were going to be accepted as the owner of the dog we told them just to forget it. There are plenty of dogs at regular humane societies that need homes asap!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads