Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs!

The heartworm/flea medication is a monthly fee btw, and also I'd second looking around if they said a dog couldn't be left around for more than 2 hours unless it had behavioral problems. The shelter I went to did understand that I worked and did the best they could to make sure I understood that grommet might have an accident the first few days (she didn't). Another shelter did say it would be at my own risk if I got one dog (behavioral issues) as the dog had done 1000 dollars of damage. At least the shelters I've been to seem to warn you what the risks are, the rescue groups I've talked to seem to be very selective and most were not good at responding in a timely manner, I understand that they're volunteer run, but at least they could send you a 'thanks for your interest, we're terribly busy but will try to get back to you in 2 weeks'

jt

2. # ADS

Thanks boheme-anne and stella it was really making me sad to think that I would be 'unfit'.

Back to your original thread girls!

Um.... we got Ira from a rescue and unless he's at daycare he is left home for 8-9 hours a day. A limit of 2 hours is a ridiculous requirement.

Sure, I wish we didn't have to leave the dog alone that much each day, but he does not have separation anxiety so he just relaxes and sleeps and chews on his kong. I felt really bad for awhile, and then remembered that hey-- someone's got to work full-time to earn the money for the pooch to have his fluffy bed, his yummy food, treats and toys, healthcare, etc. I'd love to be the one to stay home warm and restful all day! Plus, he gets oodles of lovin' when we are home and is pretty spoiled, so I still say he has a good deal.

Find another rescue or shelter and you'll make a great doggie parent!

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your stories. they have been sooo helpful!!

But life sure throws curveballs, and once I had decided to definitely adopt a dog from a shelter. . .I found out that I am 6 weeks pregnant!

We can't handle being first time parents and first time dog owners all at once, so I think at this point we are going to wait a few years.

But all of the advice given will still be handy then and I thank you so much!! - Jen

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Thanks!! I'm holding on for a wild ride....

you go! that is wonderful news. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ~marketa~
    Ooooh, MAE is soooo cute! I loves me some doggie love. Here is Ira's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=66346

We adopted our dog from the Houston Beagle Rescue about a month ago & are sooooo happy to have in our lives. He is sweet & playful & cuddly & seems to really appreciate having a nice, warm home with 2 people who spoil him.

Here he is on dogster - http://www.dogster.com/?101348

enjoy your pregnancy and craft lots of cool stuff for Baby.

When you're ready, a dog will find you.

Mom of 2 boys and Bipedal Life Mate to 2 labs: Miss Alice( 3yo Black) and Figgy Pudding ( 5mo Chocolate pup) aka "the Girls".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads