Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

feminism and football?

I'm not a big football (soccer) fan by any stretch of the imagination but this news that I saw today made me feel happy...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4101043.stm

A national league team in Mexico has added a female player to their team

2. # ADS

Yay for her!!!! I think it's awesome.

I played football as a kid, and the truth is, it doesn't make a difference if you're male or female. The main focus of the sport is agility and speed - not brute force, like in American football (although that requires agility and skill as well, but you have to throw in a big handful of brute force if you want to get anywhere).

Very interesting.
    I'm a soccer fan :) Back in Boston we went to a few Revolution games, the MLS cup and the Gold cup - so much fun!

Oooh cool! I hope fifa let her play. And f not, I hope they sue for discrimination and win!

Didn't FIFA come out last year and say women's football/soccer would get more ad money and more fans if they would just sex it up a little with shorter shorts? I forget where I read that. Geez. Anyhow I'm thrilled the woman in Mexico is blazing a trail! She and Haley Wickenheiser should get together for lunch and compare notes!

Quote Originally Posted by aspiring
    Didn't FIFA come out last year and say women's football/soccer would get more ad money and more fans if they would just sex it up a little with shorter shorts? I forget where I read that. Geez. Anyhow I'm thrilled the woman in Mexico is blazing a trail! She and Haley Wickenheiser should get together for lunch and compare notes!
    Yeah, FIFA's president said that female players should wear more revealing outfits to increase their fanbase. I believe he made the comments after the WUSA folded. What really enraged me about that flap was that the WUSA did not fold due to their ticket sales - it did better than MLS - but because advertisers wouldn't sponsor it. The millions of little girls who love to go to women's soccer matches could care less what the players are wearing, but the CEO's of deodorant and sneaker companies do.

Sorry gals ...

"Football's world governing body, Fifa, has ruled that a leading Mexican woman footballer is not eligible to play for a professional men's club. "

Read it on the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4110027.stm

Crap.

That's just not fair.

Del
    Quote Originally Posted by brdgt

Yeah, FIFA's president said that female players should wear more revealing outfits to increase their fanbase. I believe he made the comments after the WUSA folded. What really enraged me about that flap was that the WUSA did not fold due to their ticket sales - it did better than MLS - but because advertisers wouldn't sponsor it. The millions of little girls who love to go to women's soccer matches could care less what the players are wearing, but the CEO's of deodorant and sneaker companies do.
    I saw red for days after I heard the WUSA folded for the same reasons you listed. I'm still hoping that the league gets reinstated.

gack! that sucks- as does the quote in this link here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...pe/3093147.stm about another female football player

"She is very beautiful, and has a great figure. I can assure you that as a player, she's very good."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads