what if you just hate your hair?

i just hate my hair. had many bad cuts. it's flat and dull and my face is long and i'm a leo and i long for a big mane of flowing thick hair, but instead its just short and without life.

pooey! i'm totally having a bad hair day and defiantely a pity party! any advice?

:(

2. # ADS

three things I've tried on those hating-my-hair days:

1. A 60s-style headscarf--like a wide band of scarf holding my hair back, in a cool print. It is a total pick-me-up.

2. Bumble & Bumble Sea Spray--I never use any products, but this is a really good emergency one. It makes your hair piece-y and with cool body & shape, like when you go swimming in the ocean and your hair is salty afterwards.

3. cute hair clips or bobby pins making an X on the side of your hair to hold it back, and then some pretty earrings!

one thing I've always wanted to try:

a long beautiful flowing wig! :)

good luck with your hair!

xoxo
    susan

I hear yaI'm another Leo cursed with the fine, limp, lie-down-and-play-dead hair.

I'm liking my hair (loving it, even!) so much more these days since I discovered the secret to good color. I'd done so many horribly botched grocery-store color jobs on myself, I finally decided just to let it grow out and stay natural forever. The upside of that is that I never needed conditioner. The downside was that my natural color is mousy, ashy, unflattering to my skin, and made even the best cut look un-dimensional. I finally just couldn't take it any more.

What's the secret? Get thee to a salon, ya cheapskate! (I'm talkin' about me, that is.) It is so worth it. I finally regained the elusive platinum highlights of my childhood. The color looks natural against my skin (no more shades of potato chips and processed cheese like L'Oreal gave me). I learned that when applied correctly, haircolor doesn't have to grow out in a big obnoxious stripe. Best of all, I've been able to grow my hair out without breaking down and resorting to some weird trendy cut requiring a ton of product. Thanks to good color I can wear the simple low-maintenance style that looks best on me and not get sick of it.

My other, no-cost tip that I learned accidentally from having to work early mornings: Wash your hair at night, and blow-dry it thoroughly before you go to bed. It won't get matted down when you sleep on it, but it will have those extra few hours to get completely dry. In the morning, don't re-wet your hair but blow-dry it again to un-mess it (I use a round metal brush with the dryer first on hot, then on cool) and style as usual. Since there's no hidden moisture still lurking in your hair, it won't fall flat later in the day when it evaporates.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, and my favorite accessory is one of those faux-hair poofy ponytail things. I get so many compliments on how great I look in general when I wear it, and nobody knows it's fake unless I tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrin
    I hear yaI'm another Leo cursed with the fine, limp, lie-down-and-play-dead hair.

My other, no-cost tip that I learned accidentally from having to work early mornings: Wash your hair at night, and blow-dry it thoroughly before you go to bed. It won't get matted down when you sleep on it, but it will have those extra few hours to get completely dry. In the morning, don't re-wet your hair but blow-dry it again to un-mess it (I use a round metal brush with the dryer first on hot, then on cool) and style as usual. Since there's no hidden moisture still lurking in your hair, it won't fall flat later in the day when it evaporates.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, and my favorite accessory is one of those faux-hair poofy ponytail things. I get so many compliments on how great I look in general when I wear it, and nobody knows it's fake unless I tell them.
    ok. i was thinking i needed dye. and i have been too damn cheap to get it done! thanks for reminding me. the thing is: it makes your hair thicker. and I do indeed want to try the ponytail. never thought of that one before!

eta: oh and thank goddess someone got the leo/hair issue!

Quote Originally Posted by susan*s
    three things I've tried on those hating-my-hair days:

Bumble & Bumble Sea Spray--I never use any products, but this is a really good emergency one. It makes your hair piece-y and with cool body & shape, like when you go swimming in the ocean and your hair is salty afterwards.

susan
    oh yeah! i forgot about that stuff. must get it before i go to italy. i hate travelling around feeling like my hair sucks. i'm self-conscious when i travel!

i second the B&B surf spray. love the stuff.

just to show the grass isn't always greener... i have long, flowing hair. lots of body and i get tons of compliments. but i'm sick to death of having the hair of a supermodel who has scads of people to take care of it and can just stand around looking pretty all day, while i have to do mine myself, and i need a hairstyle that's functional and doesn't just fall in my face all the time. i'm a huge low-maintenence person when it comes to hair, and i just can't bring myself to cut it short and really give myself a break.

i'm going to peru for three weeks and i am going to try to braid it all beforehand to keep it neat without having to wash and style it!

*grin* I'd love to lend you some of my hair's "body." If I didn't tame it, it would be out a mile.

I love my hair, but I wish I didn't have to pin it back all the time.

I hear ya, Jean. My hair is limp and fine. It's got a very slight wave, just enough to make any fun layers go all wonky, but not enough for the sexy bed-head look. Blah.

Remove Ads

Ads