Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I much prefer to bag my own groceries, but my favorite grocery store kind of freaks out if you try to. They think you're making them look bad.

The ones who drive me batty are non-food retailers, like book stores and such. At least you can reuse grocery bags, but little paper bags that can only hold one small book? What is the point of that? That has no other purpose than to hold one pathetic book, and it will end up in the trash. I bought a string bag to keep in my purse, and when I went to the Boulder bookstore this weekend, I bought a ton of books. I pulled out my string bag and started to load them in there, and the checkout girl complimented me for having my own bag. But that's Boulder for you, and an independent bookseller at that. Go to Target and they think if you use your own bag you're trying to kill a small child or something. But I keep my own bag in my purse and pull it out when I can.

2. # ADS

I try to not use too many bags. For one thing, I don't like walking around advertising for someone. If it's a cd, magazine, book, etc. I put it in my Queen Bee bag, which I always have with me when shopping. For groceries - well I shop at several stores depending on the products. At the co-op (vegetables, meat, dairy) I bring my own bag because it is walking distance from my house. At the bigger store (everything else) I use plastic bags that I reuse for random things (bringing lunch to school, lining bathroom trashbins, double-bagging a ripped garbage bag, etc.). If a store refused to use my bag? I wouldn't shop there anymore, plain and simple.

Yes, in Sweden, like Teagrrl said, they NEVER bag your groceries for you. You put them on the conveyor belt, & the cashier scans them, & you put them in the bags. This is a big contrast to the hellish local grocery store I worked at this summer in California, where customers just put their cart there, then we unloaded & scanned the groceries & then bagged them (sometimes we had baggers to do that, but not if it was too busy). So there was NO sitting down- ie. if I was working a 6 hour shift, I would be standing for 6 hours, & lifting stuff the whole time. MURDER on my back, & definitely NOT worth the freaking $7.50 an hour I was getting paid!!!!! (Yes, I'm still a bit bitter) Think of the money American grocery stores could save if people bagged their own grocieres: fewer bags would be used, & they wouldn't have to pay baggers!
    & here's an interesting article about plastics:
    http://www.culturechange.org/e-lette...tics.html#cont
    And some quotes from the article:
    "Plastic grocery sacks are 40 per cent lighter today than they were in 1976, and plastic trash bags are 50 per cent lighter today than in the 1970's. However, growth of the market cancels out any gains."
    "Most North Americans urinate plastics. Sperm counts are at an historic per capita low. Cancer is an epidemic. Birth deformities, sex organ
    abnormalities and eventual cancers are becoming more common -- all
    traceable to certain chemical exposures to the fetus."
    Ick! Of course I don't think it's been proven that plastics are absolutely contributing to these things, but still... urinating plastics?! Double ick!
    "The current, high-profile battleground is San Francisco. Following the
    example of Ireland and other countries that have put a fee on plastic bags and achieved good results, the grocery shoppers of San Francisco may soon start paying a fee of 17 cents per bag. That figure is the cost that the citizenry is already paying in general taxes for some of the costs of plastic-bag trash, such as cleaning up the litter and unclogging the waste system."
    I think it's a GREAT idea! Yay canvas!

Del
    The whole phenomenon of who bags your groceries is interesting to me...I MN, where I live, only the upscale grocery stores bag groceries for you. I'm always a little surprised when someone else does it for me.
    "Hey! What are you doing with my ice cream? Put. That. Down."

"Ma'am, I'm just trying to help."

Walmart and Meijer (the store I shop at most for major trips) now use a carousel bagging system. It sort of makes it difficult for you to bag your own stuff because the idea is that the cashier scans the item and immediately bags it. Once they fill a bag, they turn the carousel and go on to the next bag. There is no real holding place at the end for you to bag your groceries anymore. I suspect I will have trouble when I go to Meijer unless I design bags that can easily hook on the reusable bags to their carousel.

I cannot find a picture of the system, but here is a link about it If you ask me, it doesn't really make it faster.

Marsh grocery stores still have teens who bag for you -- and even wheel 'em out to your car for you! I don't think I will have a problem with them and as a matter of fact, many of the executives come into our coffee house in the morning as the HQ are down the street. Maybe I can get them to do something on a local level.

I'd love to shop at Trader Joe's and Wild Oats all the time, but I have to shop for 5, which includes 3 boys who are 11, 13 and 14 aka hungry-all-the-timers! I'd go broke! I am slowly switching to some organic items from those stores, however.

As for Aldi...we have one of those here and ideally i'd go there to save money and of course, bag my own! Unfortunately, i've had a real tough time getting what I need there and we've had issues with the quality of their food(past date dairy, rotten veggies and fruit, bland store brand items). Our local one, at least, sucks. The only other Aldi i've been to was in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by PamTheQueen
    That would be a fun paired up swap-- decorated canvas shopping bags!
    Oooh, that would be a fun swap. Maybe not just decorated canvas bags, but homemade grocery bags in general. I wish I had time for a swap right now ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn
    Sometimes, I run into a salesclerk who insists that I take a bag "for my own good". I can only guess that they mean so that I won't be accused of shoplifting, but isn't that what my receipt is for? Once, when I declined a bag for the second time, the clerk made a clucking noise and muttered under her breath about how *her* mother always taught her to take a bag. The implication, of course, being that my upbringing was somehow lacking.
    Ha! Did you cluck under your breath that *your* mother always taught you to reduce waste and respect the earth?

[quote="xuli"]
    Quote Originally Posted by PamTheQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn
    Sometimes, I run into a salesclerk who insists that I take a bag "for my own good". I can only guess that they mean so that I won't be accused of shoplifting, but isn't that what my receipt is for? Once, when I declined a bag for the second time, the clerk made a clucking noise and muttered under her breath about how *her* mother always taught her to take a bag. The implication, of course, being that my upbringing was somehow lacking.
    Ha! Did you cluck under your breath that *your* mother always taught you to reduce waste and respect the earth?
    heehee... Or that *your* mother always taught you it's impolite to mutter things about other people under one's breath, especially paying customers?

Good lord, why the heck would it matter that much if you take a plastic bag or not? I'm a faithful reader of Miss Manners, and have never seen her address the issue of rude customers who refuse wasteful items. I have, however, seen her address the issue of rude people who don't know when to keep their mouths shut.

Whoever posted the link for www.reusablebags.com - that is an awesome website. I just ordered a set of 5 nylon grocery bags and a couple of mesh reusable produce bags (I've never even heard of those! Awesome!).

I like the canvas bags, but personally they're too bulky to tranport. I hope the nylon ones work out.

Oh, I completely forgot the whole point I wanted to make in my post this morning (damn New Years Day mimosas!). The local charitable thrift store and food bank is always looking for shopping bags - do you have a St. Vinnies near you?

I'm in the midwest, too, and want to scream when a cashier asks if I'm saving the plastic trees by using my own bags and then laughs to herself. argh!

In addition to just not liking grocery stores, I don't like the meijer's spinner bagging system and other customers don't like being behind me at any self-checkouts because I can't fill my bags as I scan with that weighing thing they have to do.

thanks for the tip on thrift stores using plastic bags, there are times when I've been to several stores in one day and don't have a way to unload the couple of bags I've already filled with purchases so I end up with more plastic bags than I can use for trash sacks.

my local organic foodstore doesn't have their own bags, they have a sign saying 'reuse your bags here' and you can just reuse your own, or take one that someone else has 'donated' into this... bag of bags that they keep there for the purpose.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads