Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Organizing all of that craft crap!! (Brainstorm)

I love my crafty stuff, but damn if it isn't taking over the room. I try to be really good about it because I have this whole if-it-doesn't-pay-rent-it-has-to-deserve-to-live-here thing about material goods, but I bought a ton of pretty yarn I couldn't resist over the holidays, got buttons and threads from grandma, scrap fabric from mom, etc.

So, how do you keep your craft crap organized?

Ideally, I'd get another dresser and it would all be hidden in there. But, getting furniture is such a drag since I live in NYC and don't drive (and having it shipped is near impossible because I'd have to lug it home from the post office. urgh!). But I guess I could consider it. So I'm wondering what kind of things actually *work* for you.

Stacking office Boxes?
    Baskets? (I've got some that slide under the couch for yarn, which do work)
    Clear plastic boxes? (I have a plastic drawer thingy, although I'm sick of living like a college student)
    Hanging off the wall ness?
    And then I see stuff like this: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0002HL0MI and wonder if I should build my own little yarn wall.

Bueller, bueller?

And does anyone know where I can get a thread spool organizer? The wooden kind with the little dowels and such?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. # ADS

CD shelves are great for yarn and/or fabric. I have two of these Robin multimedia shelves from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...roductId=51462
    that I use for fabric: http://www.plainmabel.com/blog/fabric2.jpg

They're cheaper than the Target ones (which I also looked at) and have more cubbies. Though I guess that still leaves the problem of getting to/from Ikea.

I'm curious to hear where to get those spool holders as well.

ooh! those are nice- i never would have thought of that... one of these days i'm just going to rent a car and do all that crap i've been meaning to do for oh...three years.

I made my own spool holder.. I don't have a pic, but I just cut up a small dowel rod into big enough pieces and glued them on to a piece of wood (that I found in my friends garage). I have been meaning to nail them on, but super glue is working fine. Its kind of ugly, so I am going to paint it with my new acrylic paints soon! I also have a few cardboard boxes that I keep under my bed. Money is seriously tight, so I have to think outside the buying square!!!

hk

They do have spool holders at JoAnn's - I think they're about $13, but you could use a 40% coupon that comes almost weekly in the paper... My husband made me a cone spool holder out of an old magazine rack (don't ask.) and it is U.G.L.Y. Ha! I also saw a peg-board painted white with dowels sticking out of it for cones. It was a lot cuter than my magazine rack holder!

My apartment (100 years old) has these great built-in shelves that I've always meant to use for organizing my craft stuff. So far, though, I've just managed to cram a bunch of junk haphazardly in there so nothing really fits.

I don't have an Ikea near me (visited the one by the MoA on my recent vacation, and fell in love with the place...sigh), but yesterday I saw some similar storage stuff at Target that might serve my purposes.

I'm thinking this shoe storage unit might be good for holding yarn or fabric (unfortunately it's just slightly too big to fit on all but the very top shelf in my hallway). Or this bigger one could be a stand-alone unit.

I saw this unit and this one in the store yesterday, and I thought about lining a whole wall (well, a large part of the wall) in my office with a bunch of them. They also have cube doors sold separately.

I have this terrific idea for re-decorating and organizing my office/craft room. I really hope I can get around to making it work this year.

Well my yarn and fabric are a mess, but i keep my beads and little itty bitty things organized with old pill containers, i've got so many of them. They're only good for little things, of course. And when people see my shelf lined with pill bottles they look at me funny until i show them what's inside, heheh.

My wonderful fiance turned a small closet (4-5' deep x 6' wide) into my "Crap Closet" when I moved in. We lined it with floor to ceiling shelves. I have all of my craft supplies in various Rubbermaid/Sterilite containers, mostly clear. I also have my gift wrap and bags in there, and my beads. My beads are another story....I have 2 wonderful large containers with handles, and many smaller containers within.

I mostly have a hodge-podge of containers, because different stuff needs different space. It's also nice because I can shove stuff in there when we have company come over :)

I'm going to tackle organizing my craft room in the next few weeks- I think I have enough Sterilite tubs to organized all my yarn and fabric, and keep them clean and cat-hair-free, but I need to devise some shelving to get the tubs up and off of my table. I also need to stop allowing my room to be the repository of crap that has no other place in the house!

One of my favorite organizers is this, from Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...15*10298*13799

kazoogrrl gave it to me last year to keep all my sewing bobbins, thread, pins, etc. in, and she personalized it by painting the front with chalkboard paint- so I can label each drawer with the contents!

I have a few sets of those collapsible wire cube-y things like these. They're held together by some plastic ties because the things that came with the set just aren't sturdy enough. My gf put them together for me, and made me something of a craft castle. I know she has a picture somewhere, but I don't know where she uploaded it.

Most of my crafty stash is yarn and paper, so any heavy stuff I have (like acrylic paints) are located on the bottom. I have a small office-y area in between my guest room and computer room where my craft stuff lives, so she just basically lined the entire wall with them. I also plan on making a curtain for it, too, so it looks pretty. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads