Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Rose Parade!

Please tell me I'm not the only gardening chick here that just goes nuts for the Rose Parade. :)

My husband and parents-in-law and I discussed last week what flowers and stuff they'll use for the UT colors (that's where my parents-in-law went to school, so they're excited.) I mused about whether or not someone has tried to grow bluebonnets in a hothouse and we all got a good laugh about the idea of hothouse wildflowers.

Someday, I'd love to be one of the volunteers in the week where they put all the flowers and seeds on the floats.

There go all of my cool points. :)

2. # ADS

i, too, think it would be awesome to work on one of the floats. it just amazes me the amount of detail work that is done.

I love the Rose parade, too! The floats are so beautiful, & I just can't believe how many flowers they use, & that they're not all wilted & horrible in like two seconds! I'd love to see it in person. I wonder if it smells flowery...

Heh heh, I'm from Pasadena and so I have a love/hate relationship with the parade, so this thread is amusing me.

It's real easy to be a volunteer, a lot of church and youth groups go out to the refrigerated hangers to stick on flowers. That's one reason the flowers stay so fresh, they keep the floats in these refrigerated hangers.

Also, if anyone ever makes it out here they do have a float viewing after the parade but it's a madhouse of parade lovers. But you do get to go right up close to the floats.

On another Rose Parade topic; I never tried out to be the Rose Queen (even though every female member of my class did) because I found out if you get picked for the court you have to sign a waiver that the Tournament of Roses has the right to control your apperance for a year. Yowzers!

ahhh liberty i don't know what i would do if i didn't get to choose what i looked like!! but what's the Rose Queen?

Every year they have a cattle call of all the young ladies and the most "accomplished" are picked to be on the Rose Court, and they single one lady out to be the Queen. They serve for a year and get some good stuff like scholarships and free clothes but they have to go to endless pancake breakfasts. Once they get chosen the parade people make them over and for every event they go to they have to get their hair/makeup and clothes picked out by someone else. Usually they make them look like Junior Nancy Reagans. YUCK!!!

The Rose Queen part isn't interesting to me. Bring on the flowers! :)

Hm...churches. I may see what sort of parishes are in that area and send some emails. :)

Eugh. My high school band went there this year. It makes me sick because the director is a manipulative bastard, and he made a really huge deal about it (including forcing the band to do an extra sub sale to fund an LCD scrolling message board for the school as a bribe to the school board people.) In any case, they were quite possibly the worst band there, which gave me some sort of sick pleasure. Phah. He's always said he'll retire once he gets to the Rose parade, so get out, bitch.

BTW - I'm well past high school at this point, but he was so bad that I'm still bitter. Don't inquire unless you want a long history. *wink*

I live in so cal too, and my partner's parents loved going to the Rose parade and camping out over night to get good seats. It's so amazing what they can do with flowers and seeds. I always thought that it was more of a local thing. It's interesting to hear that other people watch it too.

Volunteer info: http://www.tournamentofroses.com/cur....htm#volunteer

I am pretty sure that you can volunteer singley, without a group. When it gets closer next year you can call and ask around, they always need free labor. Plus you can have a california vacation.

Miss E- Thanks for posting that info. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads