Any Curators out there?

Hey- are any of you curators, artists or work in art galleries? I'm hanging an exhibition this week of various crafty ladies work and I want to make sure I get the details in the right order/ format. I normally am the person banging the nails in, not printing off the lables and info sheets- any ideas where to go for more info?
    thanks!

2. # ADS

my mom is, but she's more into historical clothing, i don't know if that makes a difference or not, but i could ask her if you want

-lil

ada
    hi m - i used to run an art gallery together with some friends, i don't think there's an 'official' format - usually in galleries I go to it will be something like:
    name of work (often in italics)
    date (in brackets straight after the name of work)
    name of artist
    [space]
    list of materials e.g. 'oil paint, canvas'.

often the info sheet will have all this info, and the works are just numbered, so you have to refer back to the sheet.

have fun!

thanks! That helps me a lot- i've got so caught up in this that I haven't spent much time doing anything other than trying to figure out how to hang things- it's really hard to do it without actually being in the space and just going for it I think- in my mind I know where everything wants to go, but I know when I start hanging it's all going to move around (mainly because our walls are so hard it's a pain to get anything into them!) I'm really excited about this show...what gallery did you run ada?

ada
    it was called 'enjoy', it was a sort of artist-project-space thing, we showed mostly installational work... once all the founders were tired of running it we left it to other people to do what they wanted with it, it's still going as a gallery though not quite in the way we intended it to run... but hey, at some point you have to let go of your baby & let it make its way in the world... their website is www.enjoy.org.nz

Remove Ads

Ads