Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: losing weight?

losing weight?

I just wanted to let you all know that at www.discovery.com/health they are doing an 8 week body challenge starting Jan. 15th. If you sign up (FREE!) you get 8 weeks (FREE!) at eDiets.com and 8 weeks (FREE!) at Bally Total Fitness Gyms! Basically to see how much weight you can lose in 8 weeks. I'm signed up and ready to go!

2. # ADS

I'd like to do that but there aren't any Bally Gyms except for allentown 25 miles away. Does that surprise you?

I dont know anything about eDiets, but just a warning:

The diet industry profits off its long-term ineffectiveness. Before you start a crash diet, consider this: if this diet worked permanently, you would never need to buy books/products/etc. from the diet industry (currently valued at trillions of dollars, I believe?) ever again. However, if you lose weight initially, you might gain some semblance of faith in the program, and if you gain the weight back, you're a prime candidate for new products. Also remember, your health is more important than your weight, your best course for healthy permanent weight loss is regular exercise (only do what you enjoy), and you are beautiful the way you are-- you are not your weight.

(end preachy mode)

yea i was aware of all that...my "diet" consists of eating less and healthier. Not an actual mainstream diet. but thanks for looking out for me :)

good luck, by the way. here's to feeling better :)

I basically agree with what Parel is saying. Here are my suggestions (they've worked for me, and I'm not selling anything)

1. Count calories. This is not cheating, any more than checking your bank balance is cheating when you're trying to control your spending.
    2. Parel is right that you should choose an activity you enjoy, but make sure that some of it is heavy aerobic exercise, such as running, biking, swimming, or working out on a treadmill, elliptical trainer, or stairclimber.
    I like running the best, and highly recommend it. It's very exhilerating, you get to see the world, and it has great immediate rewards. You can ease yourself into running by starting with a run/walk, and working in more running each time. Check with someone first if you have bad knees. I think the current recommendation is 20-30 minutes of intense exercise 5 times a week (meaning you get your heart rate up)
    3. Don't get too obsessed with weighing yourself. Limit weighing yourself to once every week or two weeks, not every day.
    4. Losing weight without developing an eating disorder is tricky. Be prepared to have goals when you've reached your target weight. If you take up running, try running a 5K.
    5. I still have trouble sometimes with body image, despite being 5'8'' and 145 lb. It still takes a lot of effort for me not to think of myself as fat. Here I wholeheartedly agree with Parel: there's a huge psychological component.

Do NOT count calories. DO NOT NOT NOT NOT count calories. It can become obsessive. (Sorry, MrBubbles, but I do not think that's healthy for people wanting to lose weight).

Try to eat as healthy for you as possible. Try to exercise moderately. The weight will come off if you do that. I'm not kidding.

For ME, I had to cut back on my cheese intake, I don't egg yolks (which is fine by me, to tell the truth), and I try to take a walk everyday.

A lot of people try to argue that exercise is boring, or they don't have time to exercise. My argument is if you have time to watch t.v., you have time to exercise, and most people sure find time for t.v.

As for exercise being boring, that's all about changing it for you. I listen to music or walk with a friend. I prefer to walk with a friend because it's really NOT boring when I do that. And, really, walking is one of the best exercises you can do.

Walking and swimming.
    No, really. Try it. Running might be too difficult (and hard on the knees) and discourage people from doing it for extended periods of time. But walking is fabulous. I can walk for a pretty long time and not get too exhausted.

Whether you like it or not

I disagree with Parel about doing exercise you enjoy. I am a Certified Personal Trainer, Pilates, Yoga and Chi Gong instructor, and I can tell you from experience if a person only does an exercise they enjoy, chances are they will do no exercise. Part of the reason people get to a point of needing to diet is because they don't place limits on themselves. Challenge yourself to finish an exercise class whether you're enjoying it or not. Challenge yourself to NOT eat 3 servings when 1 will suffice. Setting a goal and then obtaining it is so much more satisfying than a pint of Ben and Jerry's.

Kissmyknitz, good points!

I think the thing is learning to enjoy exercise. I really can't name an exercise I truly dislike, and if I dislike it, it's probably because I can't do it, or I'm not doing it the right way.

Like, there are some yogas I dislike, but I DO like Kundalini yoga, so that's more about finding what works best for you. But people who don't like exercise at all probably get frustrated when they can't do something. It took me a long time to like exercise, but now I LOVE it.

So, I think you can enjoy it, but it has to happen on your part, it's not the fault of the exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by soapandwater
    Do NOT count calories. DO NOT NOT NOT NOT count calories. It can become obsessive.
    I have to disagree with this ... I have been TAing for a biological anthropology class where the prof is into studying nutrition and if there's one thing I picked up from her it's that the ::only:: thing that makes people overweight is consuming more calories than their body uses. It's not fat, not carbs, not any weird thing that fad diets latch onto. To lose weight you have to create a calorie deficit and for most people that means paying more attention to the calories they put in their body. Learning to count and estimate calories is something that can be maintained for life and really, ought to be. Some people do get obsessed with foregoing another ten calories, just as some people (like myself) get obsessed with always having desert or finding that really flavor covered dorito; in my opinion, both can be really bad.

As for eDiets, I used to use them but then they started to charge, which i just thought was total ass. For a free site that you can use after your 8 weeks, go to www.fitday.com. I think programs like these are pretty great; you can keep track of not only calories, but nutritional requirement and personal goals (like limiting salt intake, as with myself). As for exercise, after the gym membership is up, dancing around the house vigorously for half an hour is really great exercise. And the Oprah channel has some good arobic yoga on everday at 6 (tape it!).

People lead drastically different lifestyles than we originally evolved into, and I think it's a good idea for most people to monitor their nutrition nowadays. If the focus is just being skinny, that's not so great...but losing weight for health reasons is not a bad goal for everyone. Anyways, good luck...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads