Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is your favorite work of art?

If you could have a reproduction (or the real thing i suppose if this is make believe) of any painting or carving, statue etc, what would it be? Do you have a favorite artist or just one work from that artist? I thought of this question because my friend did a copy of van gogh's starry night for his friends and they didn't believe he painted it, because it came out so well. He said he'd try something for us, but I'm wondering what I would even want, would i want something really famous, leading people to think I had a poster, or something less famous, or even an original idea from my friend? :)

As for favorites I've always been partial to monet's charing cross bridge in all of it's many incarnations. But it wouldn't really go with my decor so I thought I'd see what other people would get, even if it didn't match their home.

jt

2. # ADS

I think I would get a photograph of one of Andy Goldsworthy's nature sculptures. I am partial to one of the dandelion pieces in particular. My husband and I watched a documentary about him and were amazed at how gentle and humble he seemed.

I would also like one of the quilts of gee's bend.

Mr. Bookish and I were discussing something very similar to this the other day. I was considering replicating some of the more famous artworks via embroidery on my quilt tops (I did an approximation of the earlier mentioned dandelion piece for someone for christmas) and he suggested that a better way to go would be to immerse myself in a particular artist and then do something original in their style. It would be interesting to see what elements came through...

keri

I have a reproduction of it at home and work: Pietro Antonio Rotari's "Young Girl Writing a Love Letter". It looks like she's thinking a dirty thought, in a good way.

I love paintings that take you 'in' and create a story. My favorites are (I love mostly classics):

A Sunday on La Grande Jatte/Seurat
    Nighthawks/Hopper
    Christina's World/Wyeth
    Sunflowers/Van Gogh

and because I'm from the Boston area:
    Breaking Hometies/Rockwell (huge Rockwell fan!)
    Homecoming Marine/Rockwell
    Boston Common at Twilight/Hassam

At present, I have prints of Chop Suey by Edward Hopper and The Kiss by Klimt hanging in my apartment. I also love Flaming June by Frederic Leighton and lots of different things by Chagall.

Alison, who appears to have a thing with gold/orange in artwork

basquiat's phillistines or self portrait as a heel

Starry Night-Vincent Van Gogh
    It's not just the painting though, it's Van Gogh's whole life of trying to be accepted, and loved by someone-anyone! His tale is such a sad one, I often wish I could go back in time just to be his friend! Looking at the painting Starry Night always makes me feel like it's okay to be me-since poor Vinny never wanted to be himself. I highly recomend the book "Dear Theo" by edited by Irving Stone-It's most of if not all of the letters Van Gogh wrote to his brother, Theo, the only person that always cared for his well being.

cool ideas (do an original work "in the syle of" or checking out books). thanks for your input, I will have to check out all of these :)
    jt

My favorite (of the demi-moment) is Gustav Klimt's "Portrait of Maeda Primavesi" -- strange and wonderful

http://www.essentialart.com/acatalog...Primavasi.html

I have a BA in Art History, so this is very, very hard for me. That being said, I would like one of of Dale Chihuly's glass creations... Or some Ming Dynasty Buddhist Sculptures... Or some European Romanesque reliefs... Or a something by Degas or Toulouse-Lautrec... I clearly can't decide. I like too much!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads