Tattoo Removal....

OK... so this isn't craft related at ALL but you ladies seem to know everything about everything. This is why I love you....

I have a few tattoos that I would like to have removed.

There are 2 oddly placed fairly large tattoos on each of my shins(looked fantastic when I was a skater gal wearing nothing but skater gal gear but now I have to wear either knee high boots or opaque tights with most skirts because it just looks silly) and 2 small pink stars behind each of my ears(looked good at one time and now resemble prison tats). Not to mention the half back piece that I got the second I turned 18.(which will be the last to go because I am kind of attatched to it but have a desire for a clean tattooless body.... so eventually). I guess that's more than a few.

Does anyone have any advice or experience concerning removal? I've heard that the laser surgery is expensive and scarring. I've heard that there are creams that you can buy that work just as well. How long does it take to fully remove them? What price point am I looking at?

I don't even know what kind of doctors to contact to discuss this with.

I've googled to no avail.

I'm desperate.

I should have listened to my mother.

Please help me..... I can post photos if this would be helpful.

2. # ADS

I would get a recommendation for a legit place from a dermatologist, if you know or have one. Mine gave me a few names (I haven't done it yet) and told me that black and blue are the easiest colors to remove but red is the hardest. I know you have to go in for the treatment several times for it to work.

Re: Tattoo Removal....

This site has a good overview on how the process works with a laser:

http://people.howstuffworks.com/tattoo-removal4.htm

And there's some info here too:

http://tattoo.about.com/od/tatremoval/a/tatremoval.htm

[/quote]

Jim (the ole' man) and I were just watching a show on this I believe on the discovery health channel. My hubby has quite a few tatoos and thought that it is probably very painful to get it removed. Comeing from Jim, I believe him since he sat 12 hours straight for his one.
    However, the difference between before and after was really amazing-you could hardly see the tatoos! The one was really dark too, the girl had "Christopher" on her shoulder and it was almost gone after the first try!

I had to run out after posting the links, but I wanted to add, this is *not* a place where you want to cheap out. You want to work with someone reliable who knows what they're doing.

It may take awhile to get them all off (multiple treatments), so I'd suggest prioritizing. Maybe get the ones on your legs lightened to the point where they don't show under pantyhose and then work on the ones behind the ears.

About the tattoos behind the ears. Is your hair involved in any way? One of the uses for laser is for hair removal, so those may be very tricky to remove. Another reason to be fussy and careful about who does your work.

Anyone who does cosmetic plastic surgery should be able to let you look at before-and-after photos, let you talk to former clients and be completely transparent at explaining the risks and possible side effects. Don't even think twice about someone who can't give you this kind of information.

Marina... thanks for the links... they were very helpful. As are you!

check out BME (www.bmezine.com) in the QOD, FAQ, or Encyclopedia areas. if you have a specific question, you can email it to QOD, and they are really nice as long as it's not a question that is answered somewhere else on the site. there is also a tattoo removal picture section. most of the website is not safe for work.

there are *not* any creams that are going to remove a tattoo, unless they do it by burning off a thick layer of skin, also. tattoos are under the layer of skin that regenerates, so you can't do a surface treatment to remove them.

tattoo removal does scar (i've never seen an instance where it didn't, anyways...) and it is supposed to be phenomenally painful. it's doubtful that the skin where the tattoo used to be will ever look like untouched, virgin skin.

Remove Ads

Ads