Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by moon_lemming
    Haha, I have lots of "not one damn dime days," only around here we call them "my paycheck's already gone and I haven't even gotten it yet" days.

Hee.
    We usually have a string of those days about 3 days before payday. My husband's uncle is going to the inauguration to protest.

2. # ADS

he he, me too! Being broke is a way of life for me so it'll be real easy for me not to spend any money!

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't heard about it.

I understand the critiques, but for me, I happily support any event that encourages people to consider the consumption. Even if it makes no obvious lasting impact on the state of our country, every person that either doesn't spend a dime (or thinks more consciously about the dime they spend) because of this makes it worth it.

It's amazing that we live in a system where the simple act of not spending money can be so political.

-lexlandra

I'm generally sort of skeptical of boycott days, but I think I'm going to do this one. I don't know if it'll make a difference, but I need to do something political on inauguration day, just to remind myself that the fight isn't over just because that battle was lost. Maybe I'll take all the money I would have spent that day and donate it to the ACLU or something.

I don't know if I agree with "not a damn dime day". I mean, it is only one day, right? I work for a corporation. But I work on commision. That's how I pay my bills. That's how I go to college. What would happen for one day if I didn't make any money? It wouldn't be the end of the world for me, but it certainly wouldn't make things any easier. It's a tough call. I think it's better to be positive than negative, so rather than focus on spiting the government, maybe we could all do something one day we don't normally do. Maybe stand up for what you believe in. Maybe skip starbucks and go to a local coffee shop. Donate to a worthy cause. Something to help others than to purposefully hurt others. I don't know.

since the 20th is payday for me i'll be spending money at the grocery store and putting gas in my car, for sure.

things like this and that send rice to the white house thing from a couple years ago just seem so pointless to me (another wet mop. sorry.) i think i'm gonna focus my efforts more on what seems to have a direct affect, knitting blankets, scarves, etc for the homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by lexlandra
    I happily support any event that encourages people to consider the consumption. Even if it makes no obvious lasting impact on the state of our country, every person that either doesn't spend a dime (or thinks more consciously about the dime they spend) because of this makes it worth it.

It's amazing that we live in a system where the simple act of not spending money can be so political.
    I agree completely with what Lexlandra said. I planned to try not spending that day just as a personal exercise. But now I've remembered it's my day off work this week, when I was hoping to get some errands run - so now I'm torn.

i, too, support the idea behind this. but then again, i've always thought that quiet symbolic protests are the strongest!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads