Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not One Damn Dime Day

I just got this email, and it seems like a decent idea for a protest, so I thought I'd share it.
    peanut

Not One Damn Dime Day - Jan. 20, 2005. The anti-inauguration!

Since our religious leaders will not speak out against the war in Iraq,
    since our political leaders don't have the moral courage to oppose it,
    Inauguration Day, Thursday, January 20th, 2005 is "Not One Damn Dime Day" in
    America.

On "Not One Damn Dime Day" those who oppose what is happening in our name in
    Iraq can speak up with a 24-hour national boycott of all forms of consumer
    spending.

During "Not One Damn Dime Day" please don't spend money. Not one damn dime
    for gasoline. Not one damn dime for necessities or for impulse purchases.
    Not one damn dime for anything for 24 hours.

On "Not One Damn Dime Day," please boycott Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target and
    Pepsico (Kentucky Fried Chicken, Taco Bell, & Pepsi products). Please don't
    go to the mall or the local convenience store. Please don't buy any fast
    food (or any groceries at all for that matter).

For 24 hours, please do what you can to shut the retail economy down. The
    object is simple. Remind the people in power that the war in Iraq is immoral
    and illegal; that they are responsible for starting it and that it is their
    responsibility to stop it.

"Not One Damn Dime Day" is to remind them, too, that they work for the
    people of the United States of America, not for the international
    corporations and K Street lobbyists who represent the corporations and
    funnel cash into American politics.

"Not One Damn Dime Day" is about supporting the troops. The politicians put
    the troops in harm's way. Now 1,200 brave young Americans and (some
    estimate) 100,000 Iraqis have died. The politicians owe our troops a plan -
    a way to come home.

There's no rally to attend. No marching to do. No left or right wing agenda
    to rant about. On "Not One Damn Dime Day" you take action by doing nothing.
    You open your mouth by keeping your wallet closed.

For 24 hours, nothing gets spent, not one damn dime, to remind our religious
    leaders and our politicians of their moral responsibility to end the war in
    Iraq and give America back to the people.

Please share this idea with as many people as possible.

2. # ADS

That's really interesting, but I don't get how not spending money will affect inauguration or "remind our religious leaders of their moral responsibility to end the war in Iraq and give America back to the people."

It sort of hurts our locally owned small coffee house to have nobody come in for a day...Thursdays and Fridays are big days, too. While the article specifically names big corporation stores, the "not one damn dime" implies to not spend your money even at the small local (barely making it) level.

How about spend your money at small independent stores, restaurants, and coffee houses only day?

i like the idea. it's sort of like the buy nothing day. and i like the universality of it, because the unjust war affects everyone, not just independant shops or large retailers.

well, i'm thinking of it as a buy nothing day. a kind of political sabbath or a day of morning. and i think it's ok to boycott all buying, even from independents, even from mom and pop shops. i mean, i often go for a few days without buying much (maybe a cup of tea), so bringing my coffee or tea on one day isn't that bog of a difference. the point is, i think, to react against the 'be patriotic: buy things rhetoric'
    do or don't, as you see fit.
    peanut

Sorry to be the proverbial wet mop, but my mother works on commission in a department store, and I can say that this will hurt the average worker more than it will President Bush.

Haha, I have lots of "not one damn dime days," only around here we call them "my paycheck's already gone and I haven't even gotten it yet" days.

Hee.

I think it might have a better effect if it happened on a day when there was traditionally more buying, ie a weekend day or holiday, instead of a Thursday. If that makes sense. I know it's technically a government holiday, but I don't know anyone (who doesn't work for the gov't) who get it off.

it's kind of like the demonstrations in san francisco - people went ballistic because *everyone* was affected. people who were against the war were stuck in traffic like people who were for it. it got people really angry. but that's the thing, the whole point of protesting the war is to make it *not* business as usual.

taking the example of department store workers working on sales - let me be clear i don't wish anyone (esp parel's mother!) financial hardship - i think the model would be that no one buys, so people don't make sales. they think, i wonder what people are so upset about, and maybe become more active. maybe they write a letter. maybe they understand a war in iraq DOES affect us here. or they complain to their managers, who maybe were promoting a pro-war agenda with sales displays or something. and maybe something changes.

i'm not sure how i feel about its effectiveness, but everytime i am inconvenienced by some protest or something, i think about it in relation to the severe destruction that so many people are undergoing and i have a little more patience.

btw, moon_lemming, that's hilarious! i am currently in the middle of "my paycheck's already gone and I haven't even gotten it yet" days.

Quote Originally Posted by Athos
    i'm not sure how i feel about its effectiveness, but everytime i am inconvenienced by some protest or something, i think about it in relation to the severe destruction that so many people are undergoing and i have a little more patience.
    That's a really good point, Athos. I never know whether or not to participate in these things (I always do Buy Nothing Day just in case it makes a difference) because I never know about effectiveness ... but that is a great argument.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads