Help from the admins of the OLD get crafty?

*edited*
    I changed my mind after some of you pointed out that not every post is that big of a deal. I don't really care if most of them stay, it's just certain ones where I posted things about me or other people that I wouldn't want lingering. I dunno.
    I found most of them anyways, so it's okay.
    Thank you for all your help! this thread can die if you want, I don't really care either way. My questions have been answered, so it just seems kinda weird to have this still around.

2. # ADS

I don't think deleting them will help, they'll still be available through archive.org. :-(

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why this would bother you?

The only thing I can think of is if you expressed strong political beliefs in one direction then years later you wanted to become a politician for a party with the opposite ideas, political muckrakers might track down your previous statements and use them against you!!

I think I have an overactive imagination :-).

I feel the same way. While I don't post things that I'm uncomfortable with living forever in cyberspace, I'd still feel better if it wasn't forever.

The other day I googled my baby daughter's name....just to see if anyone else had it. Of course the second thing that came up was a posting I had made in glitter when she was born. (I usually don't post any names - just because that's outside my comfort level. But just this once I had done....)

i agree, i wish i could delete all of my old ones too. i'm okay with the craft stuff, but i'd like to delete anything i posted on other boards.

Not to be nitpicky, but while Jean has always owned the domain GetCrafty.com, the glitter boards have always been owned and operated by Gromco. You'd have to ask Tsia about taking out any posts you don't feel comfortable being permanantly available on the web. Jean has nothing to do with the old Glitter board.

And as I've said before, anything you post on a publically available forum goes out there for anybody to read. And not even snoopy friends/relatives/coworkers, but total strangers. I'll never get over the number of weblogs I read where the author makes their life a total open book by listing their name, where they work, photos, etc. Maybe I'm paranoid, but putting that information out in a place where people you don't know have access to it is a little too trusting.

I realize that yes the internet is public. I realize that it can be archived.
    It bothers me because I don't want all that info about me lingering about forever. I am very careful about what i post, and everything. But still.
    I just think we should have the option to delete our posts easily if we want to.
    I also tried to ask tsai, but I don't think she saw it. I made a post on the other board, and she's pretty busy and all. So I dunno. I guess there's nothing I can do, which sucks

I'm not sure if the old boards allow users to access their old accounts there (again, question for Gromco). But you may want to consider a user name. I know some gals have done that in the past when they felt that their privacy was being threatened. Either you change your current user name here. Or if you can get into the archived versions of the old Glitter boards, change your user name over there. If I remember correctly, any changes you make to your account on that software is global - it'd change the user id for all of your posts.

That is a good idea. The old board actually does let you log in still. I deleted all the posts that I felt revealed too much of certain things, but left others there aren't a big deal if someone reads.

I also went to archive.org to see if it archived glitter. It does, but you still have to log in to view it. And then when I had logged in and tried clicking on posts, none of them actually worked. So it doesn't *really* archive them there at all.

Remove Ads

Ads