Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I have watched that show, and really like it. I would definitely be cautious, but the trend seems to me, that the more creative families usually look the most sane. I think the family's true love (or hate) for each other really shines above everything.

I remember one episode, with a family that runs a gator farm in the deep Bayou of Louisiana, and a vegan family from California. The gator family's love for each other, and strength as a family unit really came through...but you could see what they were trying to do as far as picking opposite families.

2. # ADS

Have you watched the show? I don't know I would do if I had little kids -- or if I was going to be responsible for someone else's young kids. But your children are teens or almost teens, aren't they? So if your family winds up with the flaky woman who has never cooked or cleaned, your kids would be fine.

Also, if the other spouse is going to choose how to spend the money, they might decide not to put it away for your kids' education -- and they might decide to spend it on something that you strongly disapprove of.

I've only seen the show once or twice and I always felt sorry for the kids on both sides of the story because I felt like they were a large part of the entertainment, but unless the spouse did something specific for their benefit, then they were doing it for free. Does that make sense? But then I don't considering being on television a prize or a bonus or fun. To me, it's more of a job and an inconvenience.

I say do it!

I've only ever seen one episode of the show (it was one with California vegetarians and Cajun crocodile families. Despite the Cajun family's out there lifestyle, the California family was shown in the negative light -- although it would be hard to believe that it was all editting since the mom from LA was always yelling or crying), but I think getting the 50k would be worth it. As someone else mentioned, your family and friends know who you are and love you -- even if they do for some reason portray you in a negative light do you really care what the rest of the country thinks for one night before they forget about you?
    There's no such thing as bad publicity! This could also be a great opportunity for you to be interviewed by newspapers and TV to bring more attention to your art.

I think it depends on how public you mind your life being ...

If you have an activist bent to your personality, and you like to showcase how you do things (as a lot of us here on getcrafty like to do!) you shoud go for it. $50k is a lot, and if you invest that now, you're looking at colledge almost paid for.

On the other hand, if you are very private, or sensitive to criticism, or if a member of your family is, don't do it. THe damage might not be worth it.

Discuss it with your SO and kids and decide ...

I would SO do it, but that's me ...

Are you familiar with Television Without Pity? They have a thread on Trading Spouses, and I think if you could stand to diseccted on this thread, you could stand to be on the show:

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....wtopic=3117693

If I can be personal :), you seem pretty even-tempered and social and I don't think you'd be thrown by being followed around by a camera crew. I'd worry about what a (probably) picked to be hostile person would do to your (undoubtedly lovely and unique) house though.

I say do it for the totally selfish reason that I want to watch it!

thank you for all the great replies! we are going to follow through with everything and see what happens! i'll keep you posted!

OOh i'd love to see you on this- I think we get the US version eventually. But be careful what you sign up for!

Ooh, I'm so excited! It's like someone I know will be on telly- even though I'm not actually even sure what your look like, CraftyChickaAZ!

Oh, I had it wrong! WifeSwap came on after Alias last night and I figured I should watch it in the name of research on behalf of CraftyChica. I guess that's the wrong show, though. I was actually impressed with WifeSwap, the producers didn't seem *too* judgmental of either family, nor did they seem to encourage dissension. It was kind of sweet at the end when everyone seemed to be happier because they'd had a glimpse of someone else's life.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads