Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    um, pay public bathrooms are so NOT a good idea.

they might as well call them "50 Cent Blow Job Hotels" or something. once i was almost desperate enough to use a pay public toilet kiosk. i was standing there waiting, and when the door popped open there was a hooker, a john, and a pimp in mid-um-transaction.

i'd rather buy a cup of coffee at a cafe and use a bathroom that is used more for peeing in than shooting up or having sex in.

2. # ADS

Ya, I think paying for public restrooms is stupid. What if you have bladder problems and it's a genuine NEED for there to be free restrooms around?
    That's not fair to make people pay for something that they have to do, like peeing. It's like making us pay to breathe.

Air and water are free at all gas stations in california.

This is sort of related, but in Oregon you can't pump your own gas. The attendant has to do it for you. And there's no sales tax, which is kind of a freebie, I suppose.

I remember in Italy you had to pay 5 lira or something for grocery bags. Personally, I prefer that to getting a 5cent credit to reuse a bag.

In Alaska they get free money. It's called the Permanent Fund Dividend, and comes from oil revenue. It doesn't really make up for how expensive it is to live there, though. I about freaked when I moved to OR and was able to buy bananas for $.79/lb, and that was the regular price!

About the public toilets, I also feel they should be free.

Here in Canada they are free, and the stores who say for customers only generally let you in without buying anything if they are not worried you will shoot yourself drugs in there. I had a friend waiting in line for a bar / club, and having to show her ID when all she did was to use the bathrooms! (It was a night, and there were really no other places still opened.)

When I first visited Eastern Europe, I was really insulted to have to pay to pee. So were others North Americans and Scandinavians I met. There were no problems of prostitution or drug use because there was always a woman (and once a man!) who just stays around. Quite incomfortable. I refused to pay at first because it felt degrading, but after a while you realize it is just how it works. But once I was so pissed, I was in a train station and ate something there, and a metal brace (for the teeth) broke and got into my upper gum. It hurted and bleed, my hands over my face trying to pull the brace out: I wanted to go to the restrooms just for the mirrors, and the lady keeping the bathroom didn't want to let me in! Ah!
    Also, I didn't use the bathroom in the train to Vienna in order not to miss my stop, and I just though I would go at the station. I was coming in from Slovaquia, so when I had to pay, it was in euros, and I didn't have any on me! I can't remember how I mamaged,but there were no others restrooms in sight and the bathrooms keepers didn't care that I had no euros on me, honestly. When you have to go to the bank to get to pee.

Wow, I am feeling quite strongly about this! I remember as a kid they tried 10 or 15 cents bathrooms, but people would keep the door open for each other because we felt it was absurd to pay to pee (and this was in a market). Riot for free toilets!

Oh and I have one more example! In the Louvre, in Paris, (or the complex in which it is, my memories of France are so unclear, anyhow) each women had to pay for the use of the bathroom, but the lads didn't have too if it was to pee, but had to if they would use a closed toilet. Talk about privacy! It was nice though because I discussed the inegality of it with the chief bathroom lady, who was incredibly noce for someone of this profession, while boy was getting a free pee.

Re: paying for peeing: I don't like the coin-operated ones, but I don't mind the ones with attendants at all. In Belgium the restroom attendants were usually friendly old ladies, who were probably working there because their pension wasn't enough to live off...so they got some extra cash, and I was able to go to a clean toilet (they were always very clean).

how about parking downtown? Chattanooga has just converted some parking lots that a large company provided for its employees during the day, but opened them up for free at night. They are now paid parking lots 24/7. It makes you not want to shop there. I haven't tried the shuttle service, but you still have to be in town to catch it.

Katydid said

would gladly pay for a clean public bathroom, say, on the street in NYC. Usually if I'm just wandering around I'll go into a dunkin donuts or something, buy a cup of coffee I could do without and use a questionable bathroom.
    on 42nd street next to bryant park they have a free public bathroom, and its really nice!
    its free, too, and there is a guard watching all the time (not watching, but you know) also, starbucks have INFESTED the city, and you can just use their bathroom, or barnes and noble

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads