Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

slap fight with lady nicotine....

Oh man, I am trying so hard to quit smoking....I would love to be able to just have the occasional weekend ciggarette with drinks, but I fear this just keeps the insane nic fits going...(judging from this past weekend that is)... Does anyone have any quit smoking advice?

I'm going to go bite my nails and eat ice cream now...

2. # ADS

Nicotine gum is the world's most perfect drug, man. I could never have quit without it (it's been about 8 years now, I think). Yeah, it's a bit pricey, but nowadays it's available in different flavors and without a prescription. Pick yourself up some.

Y'know that "I wanna give anybody who looks at me a huge punch to the head" feeling? The gum takes that right away. Gooooooood stuff.

someone please tell me why is it so hard to kick our bad habits? i lost 30 pounds and have now gained 12 back. i wish there was a gum for that. maybe we can allpost here everytime we have a craving to take our minds off of it!

I think that I sort of accidentally hypnotized myself when I decided to stop smoking. I'd quit while I was pregnant, of course, and had started to smoke occassionally again when I went back to work. It was hard to resist going with my pals on smoke break, you know?

After a few cigarettes, I just decided I wasn't going to do it. I kept telling myself that I didn't like the way they taste, I didn't like the way my mouth felt afterwards, I didn't like the way my clothes and hair smelled, I didn't like the persistent little cough that I got after smoking, I didn't WANT to smoke. I just kept telling myself how gross it was, how gross it was, how gross it was, and it somehow worked. Now when I see someone smoking, I just think "Yech!" I have NO desire to smoke, whereas I was a pack-a-day smoker before.

oh girl. the 'rettes get ya every time. i quit with acupuncture! it works realy well. that, and working out and drinking tons of water. you basicaly need to detox your whole system, but then, you'll feel so incredible! that's the thing that will keep you going: having energy and feeling more alive. the thing is having a drink without a ciggy is hard, but you will get over it. just take it one day at a time. seriously. just say, well today i'm not going to have a cigaratte. don't think about tomorrow yet. also, try going outside with your pals at work and instead of smoking, do a little knitting! you never know. could work brilliantly!

jean

It's though, but you can do it! Keeping busy really helped me....that and my boyfriend HATES it, and I was sick of his griping. Jolly Ranchers really helped me too, and not avoiding, but spending a little less time with smoker friends, for the first little while. This October it will be 2 years for me!

Both of my parents quit smoking abut 10 years ago using the patch. I really worked for them.

[="jean"] also, try going outside with your pals at work and instead of smoking, do a little knitting! you never know. could work brilliantly!

jean[/quote]

Love that. Thanks for all the advice, it's all so true and useful. Good news is that three of my friends are trying to quit with me and my boy made a vow to quit when he turns 25, which is in a month. That'll make it so much easier....

My boyfriend and I both quit three weeks and a day ago. He was previously smoking a pack a day. I was smoking a couple of cigarettes with him when I got home from work, and then more on the weekends with drinks and with friends who smoke.

A friend of ours quit at the same time and used the patch to help with the chemical part of the addiction. The psychological part is what gets me. There are certain patterns, like having a cocktail on the patio or hanging out with certain groups of friends, that trigger some little piece of my brain to whisper, "Why not have a cigarette?" And then I tell that voice, "Because I'm a non-smoker." The voice sometimes became a loud insistent roar (during the first two weeks).

I don't have a fix, but I can tell you that returning to being non-smokers (how a friend suggested we term it rather than "quitting") influenced how we have chosen to spend our social time. Should we go to a bar and see a band on Saturday? Or accept the invitation to play board games with friends of ours who teach yoga... hmmm. In one situation smoking would have been the norm, in the other it would be taboo. We chose the more supportive situation. We will eventually mix the bars and bands back in, but only after we have re-learned to be non-smokers.

Best wishes for you as you return to being a non-smoker (we were all born that way!)

I quit a few months ago then started again during finals week...the patch helped me a lot, but, obviously I didn't stay on the wagon.

Ugh, it's frustrating. And I just had to sink almost $300 bucks into my car, so I don't even have the cash at the moment to buy the patch, darnit.

But yeah, WITH the patch, it was much easier than the time I quit without it. The water and the exercise, especially the exercise, really helped me. Everytime I got really irritable I would go to my friend's house and use her elliptical or we'd do tae bo together.

I *am* looking forward to quitting again, but I really feel like I need the patch, maybe it's a bad crutch. But I'll just have to wait til payday now!

Oh, and smelling what other people smelled like after smoking was motivating for me, I never realized how MUCH I smelled like cigarettes until I quit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads