Anyone's dog have seizures?

I posted in my blog last Wed that my dog had a seizure. We thought they were ideopathic (no known cause) but she had one again last night. It was an hour after I updated my blog saying she was fine. :( We called the vet this morning and he prescribed phenobarbitol, twice a day. We can't afford an MRI for our dog, so the vet said to treat it like epilepsy or another seizure disorder. I'm wondering if anyone has or had a dog with a similar problem. I'm also curious if anyone has given phenobarb to a dog. Are there any side effects or behavior changes? Thanks so much for reading. I know I can count on getcrafty ladies for good advice.

2. # ADS

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice, since all my dealings with seizures have been of the human variety, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry for you and your puppy. epilepsy and seizures in general are scary as hell, especially if you're watching someone you love go through them. I really wish I could help out with advice here.

anyway, I'm sending good vibes your (and your dog's) way. : )

Sorry about your dog.

I know someone who gave it to a cat for seziures, and the cat was pretty groggy and dopey. If I remember right it was a pretty extreme case of sezierues - like an hourly occurance. So he'she may have been on a huge dose.

Hope someone with more info comes along!
    Take care,
    Kate

Hi,
    My family's dog when I was growing up had seizures and went on phenobarb. I also had a dog a few years ago who went on it after he had seizures. From all I've heard from vets and read online, most are caused by or at least labelled epilepsy and are controllable via the phenobarbital. Now come the two tales, the good and the bad.

My family's dog was on it for years (like more than ten) and her seizures became so infrequent that my mom eventually weaned her off.

My other recent dog went on on it after he had several seizures in one day. He was groggy for a week or two, but eventually got used to it. It kept them under control, though he still had them occasionally. He had a bad heart though, probably due to having heartworms before being rescued, and he died during a massive seizure (a few years after starting the phenobarb.)

I'm not sure of the long-term effects, but it should help control the seizures. It's an awful, awful feeling to watch them seize.

wow such heartfelt stories.

can I copy this post over to one of my dog forums? This information may help others.

I hope everything goes well.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for responding. My dog has only had these two seizures and both were only a minute long. She's 2 years old and otherwise very healthy. I just want to make sure the phenobarb won't change her behavior too much. She really is such a sweetheart.

Our family dog had seizures and was on phenobarb twice a day almost her whole life. Didn't seem to change her behavior or make her sleepy or anything. She lived to be about 13.

Remove Ads

Ads