Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I don't want my boyfriend's disease!

What do you do to keep from getting sick when your partner is sick?

My boyfriend just came down with a cold, and I am so busy right now I really can't afford to be sick. But -- we live together. In a one-bedroom apartment. We sleep in the same bed every night.

The worst part is -- someone in his office just came down with pink eye. I am so terrified I'm going to get sick.

I just changed our pillowcases, and put a very froofy flowery one on my pillow and a dark purple one on his pillow and told him we are not sharing pillows for the duration of his disease.

And I've been eating oranges like crazy.

But is there anything else I can do? How do the long-time married craftistas keep from passing illnesses back and forth with their partners?

2. # ADS

I think I am a little bit superstitious but I try to ignore that he is even sick - not in a bad way!! That came out wrong, but I just mean that I try not to think about the fact that I might get sick because he is sick - every time I have paniced about it I've wound up getting sick. When I try not to think about it, I tend to be OK (OK, I only managed that once).

Sorry to keep pointing out depressing points but at this stage the damage is probably already done - if you are run down and your immune system is low you will probably catch any bugs etc. that come into the house. Hopefully, you are eating well, rested and relaxed - with luck the germs might pass you by!

My husband and I are both teachers, and for the first couple of years we caught all sorts of colds and viruses until our immune systems had a chance to build up.

I'd probably try to think positively, get lots of sleep, wash your hands alot, and lay off the kissing (not that either of you probably feel much like it anyway)!!! :-)

I think the seperate pillows is a good idea. I'd have seperate towels for a while too, if you don't do that anyway.

WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

Honestly - that's the easiest way. Prevents a multitude of illnesses from being spread.

My pediatrician always says "No swapping spit" when one of the girls is sick. And then there's the snot thing. Watch it!

Pink eye - again, wash your hands!

Sleep on the couch, or sleep head to foot, so you avoid breathing on each other for 8 hours. Use Lysol wipes on every surface touchable -- doors cabinets, toilet flusher, faucets -- once or twice a day. Seperate water bottles, if he's prone to drink right from it...

Try to get out of the house. If he has a cold but isn't feeling too sickish then you should try going out to dinner or going for a walk. That way you're not stuck inside breathing in the virus. Fresh air can be revitalizing anyway, whether or not you're sick.

Thanks everyone! (Especially for the reminders about hand-washing, because you can never do that too much.) So far I'm symptom-free, and he slept on the couch last night because it was too hard for him to be sick and try to sleep with another person next to him, so ... I'm hopeful.

(Funny how it works -- I'm relieved he slept on the couch, yet I would have felt too guilty doing that, abandoning my poor baby while he's sick!)

And I'm still eating oranges!

Plenty of rest and vitamins,no kissing and chicken soup.
    Preventitive so to speak.

Keep your hands away from your face. That includes your nose and eyes!
    Ky*~

You just need to keep your immune system up in general. Just because you are exposed doesn't mean you will catch it and even if you do catch it, if you are keeping yourself healthy it won't effect you as badly as him.
    Ginger Tea, vitamins, wash your hands, eat well, get lots of sleep, wear your hat and gloves, etc. etc.
    (on the Orange juice tip - your body can only absorb so much Vitamin C, the rest is converted to water, so overdosing on Vitamin C doesn't do you any good and might give you a stomach ache!)

Hmmm, thanks to all the admonishments to get lots of sleep! I had planned to get up at 6am to do homework this morning, but instead allowed myself to sleep till 8 "because it will help me not get sick."

This was also my justification for stopping at Jamba Juice on my way home from campus today and getting a citrus-y smoothie with "Immunity Boost."

I don't suppose there's any chance that ditching all the homework I have to do and watching the entire disc of four Smallville episodes I just got from Netflix will also prove crucial to my health, is there?

No, but seriously, thanks a lot everyone ... I'm still symptom-free (but knocking on my artificial wood desk as I type this).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads