Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some Helpful Cheer for Friend

Hello there fellow crafties...

I need some feedback.

I have a long-time friend who has just let me know he is going through a very hard-time. He lives on the other coast, so I would like to send him a little something to help cheer him up since I can't go and visit.

Any ideas for something easy, small, and simple that screams comfort?

I'm leaning on sending him a journal, but am trying to come up with other ideas as well.

If I send him a journal I'd like to make it. Any suggestions for patterns/instructions?

Thanks for any ideas you can give...

Chris

2. # ADS

A really easy project could be a no-sew fleece blanket. Just pick out a piece of fleece at the store, have it cut down to whatever size you'd like, and there you have your blanket. This would definitely scream comfort to me.

As for making a journal, you can always glue/sew paper into an old hardback book cover.

My first thought is to send him a pre-payed phone card with a note saying to call you any time he wants distraction or a sympathetic ear. It's not very crafty, but it's a way of signaling that you want to be available. When I got sick last year, I worried a lot that I was boring or burdening people with my problems.

Another un-crafty and expensive idea, but one that worked for me, is T.V. shows on DVD. I really appreciated the hours and hours of welcome distraction.

There's always the old fall-back mix CD.

My crafty ideas have already been mentioned (fleece blanket and calling card) so how about a supermarket gift card? I send some of those out sometimes as pick me up gifts. It isn't very crafty but a lot of the people I know are down because of $$$ so at least I know they won't starve. Also I'm one of those people who thinks food=love so by sending "food" I'm also sending my love.

Hope your friend feels better; I'm getting together a similar "feel better" package for one of my friends.

Hmmm would he appreciate a really beautifully scented candle? I know not all men are in to that, but if he is, that could feel really nice, and should not be too heavy to send...

How about a gift basket with all of his favorite things? And I love the idea of a phone card. If he likes to write letters include stamps and such.

ti
    How about a cd you burn with some songs that remind him of happier times? or fun times you had together?

sending little notes through the mail is a great way to make someone feel great.

find easy to care for plants and buy seeds. put together a little starter pack including soil, pots, the seeds, possibly some fertilizer and mail that sucker off. plants always make me feel great.

good luck! you are a great friend for spreading some cheer around.

i'm having a hard time, and my friend sent me groceries via peapod delivery. expensive, no very crafty, but my god, what a nice nice thing to do. another option would be to call some place near him and have take out delivered (letting him know in advance of course), again, a little bit expensive, but really very nice.
    peanut

Quote Originally Posted by sallysunshine
    Another un-crafty and expensive idea, but one that worked for me, is T.V. shows on DVD. I really appreciated the hours and hours of welcome distraction.
    I'd just like to second this idea. Once when I went through a v.painful breakup I would lie on the lounge and watch tapes and tapes of Friends - sometimes up to 6 hours at a time. Seriously, it seemed like it was the only time I could rest because I forgot about it (the breakup). That very real, physical pain seemed to follow me everywhere else.

Really, I think crafting is about putting thought into something, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of these suggestions or your own ideas because your friend will be most touched by the fact that you care about his wellbeing. Even though some of the ideas may not at first seem crafty, the effort you put into them will be.

Sally's other idea about a mixed tape is good too. I've always thought if I were to find a friend was in a similar situation I would like to make them a collection of all the songs I found motivating and inspiring during my low points. I always found when I was going through a bad patch that I'd discover certain songs that would cheer me up or sum up how I was feeling and keep me going. You could try something like that.

I think your friend is lucky to have you. Your support is the most important thing - that phone card idea would be great, if it is within your budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads