Thread: madison, wi

madison, wi

I think I'm going to plan a last minute trip to Madison for the weekend and I need a little advice! I've never been there before but have heard good things. What areas are worth checking out? Any good restaurants/museums/stores/etc? I'll have a car, so transportation is not a problem.

Thanks!

2. # ADS

To eat:
    The Great Dane - great Brew Pub with good vegetarian menu
    Monty's Blue Plate - fantastic diner in old gas station. yummy deserts, breakfast all day

To Knit:
    The Knitting Tree - Monroe Street, closed Sundays I think

I haven't been to any museums here (I only know of the Unverisity's anyway), it's more of an outdoor city - Monona Terrace, biking, the zoo, the arboretum, the botanical gardens, walking up and down State Street, etc. (yes, people in Madison do all of these things in the Winter, including biking.)

I love Madison. Walking up and down State Street is a lot of fun. Madison has some great bead stores, and www.beadshopfinder.com is a great way to find what will be near to where you will be.

fyi: the knitting tree is closed sundays AND mondays.

Lakeside Fibers (www.lakesidefibers.com) is another good place to go for knitty stuff, but they're closed on sundays, too.

If you're on State Street, check out the Overture Center (www.overturecenter.com), where there's an art gallery on the top floor, plus exhibits in the wings.

Porta Bella Restaurant (www.portabellarestaurant.biz) is a cute little place off of State Street with WONDERFUL italian food. And wine.

LMNO Pies and Cafe (www.lmnopies.com) on East Johnson Street is a cool little cafe with great baked goods, plus this location has YARN!

The Cat's Meow off of State Street on E. Johnson is a fun little place for funky clothes, shoes, stickers, and other goofy trinkets. (http://visit.downtownmadison.org/dist1_bus_template.php?id=53&bus_name=Cat's+Meow)

Have a great time in the city I call home.

So - how did it go? What did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    So - how did it go? What did you do?
    It went pretty well. We checked out the capitol, State Street, the UW campus, and the Kites on Ice fireworks show. I think Madison would be a really great place to visit in better weather--it seems very outdoorsy. As a winter weekend destination it was alright, but I'm glad it was only a 24 hour trip.

Remove Ads

Ads