Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: five year plan?

five year plan?

Do you have a plan for the future? Goals?

I'm feeling quite adrift now and I feel like I need a framework to know which paths to pursue. And I should have done this five years ago... any recommendations on how to get started? Resources you love or hate?

2. # ADS

Do you mean as far as finances?

my goal is to finish my B.S., then hopefully a Ph.D. in Environmental Toxicology. i'm planning on getting my B.S. in 2007.

but i don't know if that's the kind of goals you meant. i live on scholarships and loans, financially.

Self, health, wealth, anything.

A bit of Googling after I posted suggested these five areas to look at:
    -Personal
    -Education
    -Career
    -Financial
    -Physical

Oh my. I need a plan, too. If you find any good resources please share :) Right now I'm subscribed to FlyLady through Yahoo! Groups and it's okay. Not exactly a long-term plan but she's big on building good habits so it could definitely contribute to a five year plan.

And I was obsessed with FranklinCovey calendars and they usually package planning calendars that include small monthly and yearly calendars for the next few years so I can write important dates in and things like that, but I'm a student and those silly papers are expensive so now iCal is my friend.

Personally, I think I'll start building my five-year plan around education since that's the most stable certain portion of my life right now I think. I know approximately what courses I need to take when to graduate in the spring of 2007 with a M.A. in the Humanities so yeah, my five year plan will start with education. Any idea what I should be using to build this plan? My current scraps of paper aren't exactly cutting it :P

I thought this thread was going to be about Stalin.

My plan for now is to graduate with my B.A. in June. Ideally, I want to go teach English in China for a couple of years. Then come back and get a Master's in international relations, maybe.

Realistically, I'll be graduating with a poli sci degree, so I'll probably spend the next five years waitressing at Denny's or something.

+ Personal +
    well, this year i (silently) made a resolution to become a better person, inside and out. so i'm applying for a couple of volunteer programs, trying to control my moodiness at that particular time of the month, that kind of thing. i've also started speaking up when something bothers me, which is a HUGE step in the right direction.
    + Education +
    finish my B.S.D. in architectural studies at arizona state, then begin my masters. well, at this point, it'd be getting accepted.
    + Career +
    get a flexible part-time job i can be happy with while in school.
    + Financial +
    make sure my bank account doesn't dip below $500 (working on it now). that's going to be hard.
    + Physical +
    i've started eating healthier and also started exercising. i've been sick with something, it seems, every couple months for the past couple years, so i'm trying to improve my health too. :)
    + Other +
    i've also given up coffee after it gave me a massive headache that lasted 4 hours! started praying/reading scriptures/going to church more often. i've also been spending more time away from the internet.

wow, that was long lol.

goals? are they really necessary? Can't we just enjoy what is going on right now without feeling driven?

I agree with Mele. I've been on the planet quite a long time and function very happily and efficiently without 'em.

Eh, sometimes it's nice to float about, but a lot of the time a little bit of structure can go a long way (for me, anyway). I don't really have any long-term goals at the moment, but I do find day-to-day goals pretty helpful. Like today I need to send out resumes to A, B, and C, and I need to work on knitting a scarf. Once I've done those things I feel like I've accomplished a bit and can do whatever else I please. I imagine larger-scale goals could be equally satisfying without being overbearing. You just have to plan them to suit yourself well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads