Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

let's talk CONDOLEEZA RICE

what is it about this woman that irks me so much? it's not just the lies and manipulations and the fact the she seems to be devoid of any personality of her own and the fact that she is clearly bush's right-hand-pawn...but there's something else, too. maybe i expect more from a woman? maybe i had hoped that a woman in such a powerful position would behave with more integrity, but she seems to be doing a disservice to all women by behaving...well...like a man (and i mean, a generalized corrupt, power-hungry warmonger). and i realize she has probably had to play that game to get where she is today, but is she really paving anyone's way by acting like one of the guys?

am i missing the mark? does anyone know more of her background? (sure, i could google, but i'd love to hear getcrafty opinions)

2. # ADS

Although I don't really agree with her politics, I like Condoleeza Rice. She's playing with the big boys and in a major way. You don't get to her position by being a push over, male or female. She had to work hard and she's smart.

I think before Bush came calling she held a high up position at Stamford, but I'm not exactly sure what. I think she graduted from high school when she was 16. I know she has a PhD.

I find her irksome because she's clearly intelligent and talented on so many different levels (Phi Beta Kappa, acomplished pianist, but she damps down her talents in order to be a Bush "yes man". That's always a sad thing to see in action.

Second, she is wildly unsuited to her current position. The Secretary of State needs to have a certain genial gravitas and be a born diplomat. Ideally, they have something about that scans as "international citizen" as opposed to strictly "American". It's no accident that Madeleine Albright was born in Prague or that Henry Kissinger was born in Germany.

In contrast, Condoleeza Rice's field of study was Cold War politics. It's an oppositional way of seeing the world and a mostly irrevelant one. Knowing the ins and outs of Soviet Union military strategy isn't helpful in today's political climate. She's strongly and I believe exclusively grounded in American culture and mores.

Perhaps most damning, when someone someone challenges Bush and she's present, she looks like someone pissed in her cornflakes. The point of having a Secretary of State is to get other people *on your side*. The stink-eye expression only gives the impression she won't be able to work with anyone critical of or disagreeing with the administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Marina-Trilobyte
    The stink-eye expression only gives the impression she won't be able to work with anyone critical of or disagreeing with the administration.
    That's it. She just has that stink-eye attitude. I feel her tone is very condensending (sp?). She is especially dismissive with those who don't agree with her. That is the most inappropriate attitude for someone that is supposedly representing the US abroad.

Living abroad, I can tell you many people think she's just Bush's puppet.

She's not smart enough to see through Bush.

That for me calls into question the validity of all the so-called markers of her supposed intellectual superiority... obviously being in a sorority or getting to a high position within a university means there are a few things that'll still go over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by amanelle
    Although I don't really agree with her politics, I like Condoleeza Rice. She's playing with the big boys and in a major way. You don't get to her position by being a push over, male or female. She had to work hard and she's smart.

I think before Bush came calling she held a high up position at Stamford, but I'm not exactly sure what. I think she graduted from high school when she was 16. I know she has a PhD.
    Yeah, and Larry Summers is the President of Harvard, but he's still an idiot and an asshole.

As Janine Garofalo said, Rice got where she is because she sits on Bush's feet while he does push ups.

Quote Originally Posted by amanelle
    Yup. She was Provost at Stanford (reporting directly to the President of the University).

Maybe it's her cartoon-character hair........

Seriously, though, I think that's she's trying to prove herself "one of the boys"-- and that does her no credit. I too expected more of her.

i'm sorry, but "Condi" sold her soul to run with "big boys" that are lying sack of shit war criminals. these "big boys" should *all* be imprisoned right next to Milosevic and Pol Pot.

excuse me.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about Condi but I must chime in that she totally reminds me of a snake. Her whole demeanor in every picture I've seen she seems super sneaky and I honestly don't think I trust her but again, I don't know much about her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads