Thread: i hate my job

i hate my job

I really really hate my job and I'm getting frustrated with how long it's taking to find a new job (which is partly due to the fact that I don't really know what I want to do next). What have you all done when you've been stuck in a job you hate? Any stories of turn-arounds from working in an awful situation to finding your dream job? I need a little inspiration, and getcrafty always seems to come through for me...

2. # ADS

craftytricks, I am going through the job search process myself right now. Personally, I don't hate my job, but I've had truly horrible ones so I know what it's like. I've been at my current job for a couple of years and I've always looked at it as a stepping stone to something better.

Instead of dwelling on your job too much, you can use this time to work for your benefit. You say you don't know what you want to do. Try reading some career-change books, e.g. What Color is Your Parachute, talking to a career counselor, volunteering, taking a class in something you have always wondered about but never got the chance to explore, etc. These kinds of things can really help you in determining what your passions are in life, and can give you some hints about what types of jobs/careers you might explore. Even if you don't get your dream job out of it initially, you can set some pathways for yourself so that this will be easier to attain eventually.

Hang in there and good luck with the job search!

not inspirational, but commiseration at least

I'm feeling this today, too, and big time. I find that I've turned into a bona fide office drone where Mondays make me hate life, Wednesdays have me optimistic, and Fridays have me joyous. I checked out a career book from the library and try to do meaningful and fun things in the evening, but it's really hard to feel satisfied. The problem is, for me, this is my first job out of college so it makes me think that all office jobs must really blow and that I"m just not cut out to work (although being a waitress was a hoot). Unfortunately, I don't really have the luxury right now of *not* working. Is it possible that just the first job is horrible and it'll get better from here? I guess I need inspiration, too.

I find that I've turned into a bona fide office drone where Mondays make me hate life, Wednesdays have me optimistic, and Fridays have me joyous.
    ME TOO! I actually have a hard time getting out of the car on Monday morning. I just kinda sit and stare at the building for a couple of minutes. Sigh...

I don't so much hate what I do, but my boss is a giant A-hole. He doesn't believe in investing a lot of time and/or salary in women because "it's only a matter of time till they leave to have babies". It's not exactly an environment that makes me want to give 100%, you know?

So, right now I am looking to get out of my industry and (hopefully) get out of the 9-5 working-for-the-man environment. I look at this as a learning experience, and a big fat lesson in how not to treat people that work for you. I spend a lot of time thinking about doing something that involves more than one thing that I love, and crafting ideas about how I can do it.

That helps me get through the day, then to Wednesday, and finally to friday.

I'm lucky because I love my job but it took me a while to find it and I've been in your position.

Something that helped me find what I really wanted to do (I'm a primary school teacher) was thinking about each of the jobs I'd had before (a long string including fast food worker, waitress, aerobics instructor, gym membership sales - the worst, clothing store assistant, then manager) and trying to work out what parts (if any) I liked about them. I realised I liked the jobs where I was able to train others. I also learnt that I wanted a "9-5" style job because I hated working during what was most people's leisure time. Finally, all my family are teachers (which is why I initially resisted) and I saw how much they loved their jobs so I thought I would give it a go. I had to go through 4 years of Uni but I saw that as a benefit because it helped me to decide if it was what I really wanted.

One thing I would recommend when trying to decide what you would like to do is to think about how much money you will make - I make a reasonable salary but sometimes I wonder if I could have enjoyed work which is a little more highly paid! :-) Having said that, everyone says it but it's true: you really have to try to find something you enjoy doing. Work is a long day, and a big chunk of your life, so if you are fortunate enough to like it it's really wonderful.

My final piece of advice is don't worry - a crappy job sucks but eventually you will work out what you want. You'll get there.

In terms of coping with a crappy job, do you have anyone there that you can have some fun with?
    I detest my job, but I have one really great coworker who makes it more bearable for me. We don't work together often, but we play little tricks and stuff on each other and some of the other staff. We also started doing random, secret nice things for our coworkers. Like I made a card and put it in the mail of someone I don't really get along with. It was really cool to see his face when he got it- it made him really happy! Then I felt like I wasn't the only one who feels stuck here.

It sounds kind of silly, but doing secret fun things for people really made this job better for me. I don't love it, not by a long shot, but some days I feel like it is important that I'm here, so I can help cheer everyone else up.

Also, I have computer and internet access, so I'm doing a lot of research and beefing up my resume for whatever I choose to do next. I get a secret thrill when I leave my desk and a site with job postings is up on my computer screen.

Well, is the job or the field?

I quit art school with 1/2 a BFA completed, coz I just could not face a lifetime of snarky art directors. Should have reconsidered my art options. Took a couple of years off and worked a string a truly crappy jobs. Decided that I wanted to be a nurse.

Ok. went back to school and worked more crappy jobs while going to schol. Found out I loathe hospitals. Guess what my first job out of school was? 12hr night shifts at a major metro level III teaching hosptal. WAHHAHHH! Totally horrible!!!! There is a very distinct difference between doing a task well and enjoying it.

Found out that I love public health infectious disease investigations. But it burned me out, once the kids came. That and ya just never know what you're bringing home........

Now? I'm at a private boarding school. Work part time, and while I cannot say I "love" nursing like my art, it does pay OK, and gives me lots of time to do much cooler stuff. Besides, I really like the sutdents.

that's a rough one. i have had the same sort of job since i left college (which is 5 years ago now) and don't love it, but am good enough at going through the motions that i am too comfortable to leave, even though it is clearly not my dream job.

hating your job isn't a bad place to start! it will really motivate you to move forward, and you'll at least have a definite idea of what to stay away from, if you can separate out what things about your job make you dread it.

i sometimes suspect about myself what miss sarah said-- that I am just not cut out to work in a 9-5 office environment, but i certainly can't afford not to!

i sometimes think that it was a bit misleading of our elders to pretend like with a great education we'd all find super-fulfilling dream jobs. sometimes i think that if it was acceptable just to feel "eh" about your job, instead of really INTO it, there'd be a lot less pressure and I'd like my job more. just a thought.

it could not be more true that loving your coworkers (or just one of them!) can help, but today my best friend at work quit! so in some ways, today is even worse than yesterday since i've lost my partner in crime.

i agree about being mislead by older people/parents and specifically my liberal arts education! honestly, there was not a moment in college when it occured to me that i would need to figure out something to do when i "grew up." isn't it kind of sad that our jobs have to take up so much of our lives? i suppose that's why it's important to really *love* what you do, but wouldn't it be nice to reprioritize our culture so that cooking dinner for friends and drinking wine on the living room floor was deemed *vital*?

Quote Originally Posted by miss_sarah
    wouldn't it be nice to reprioritize our culture so that cooking dinner for friends and drinking wine on the living room floor was deemed *vital*?
    That would be so much easier! Right now I really dislike that I have to work in order to support myself--it makes me feel like I'm backed into a corner or something. Also it makes me think irrational things like I want to live at home with my parents or I want to marry some man who will work so that I can stay at home and do crafts. (Neither of those are actually okay with me in real life.) The weird thing is, I know if I wasn't working I would be bored out of my mind, not to mention probably depressed and unmotivated. I definitely need the structure of a 9-5 to get me going--it's what I'm doing in that structured time that really needs to change.

Remove Ads

Ads