Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cat eating plants? Help!

Grr. My can WILL NOT stop eating my plants. Well, there is one in particular that he eats that has pointy leaves. The other ones he leaves alone for the most part.

I have tried buying him his own plant -- wheatgerm, catnip and the like. I have also tried spraying stuff on the carpet that is supposed to deter him from going into that corner.

No luck on both fronts.

I realize it is heatlhy for my cat to eat plants and then puke them up -- something to do with their digestive system. But chewing on my house plants has to stop...

Any ideas other than getting rid of the cat OR the plant. Though I'll part ways with my beloved (plant that is) if it comes down to it.

:)

Allison

2. # ADS

No answer, just wanted to commiserate!

Our cat has to stay indoors for health reasons so she can't obviously eat the plants out there. I was thinking of growing her a little patch of grass or catnip or something in a tray... If YOUR cat is allowed outside maybe he could eat outdoor plants?

Can you hang the plant? Or put it up somewhere like on the fridge, where kitty can't get it?

Or maybe put it in your bedroom and close the door?

My cat is a serious plant eater too, and over the 11 years I've had him I have given away the ones he'll eat, or I have hung them from the ceiling instead.

I thought this was a "cat-eating plant" post, and I thought, "THERE ARE PLANTS THAT EAT CATS?"

Sorry!
    Had to share.

I was thinking of a cat eating plant as well. Kinda like little shop of horrors.
    :-p

Silk plants work great! :)

I gave up on all real plants. It was becoming a race of who could kill the plant quicker: me for forgetting to water or Miss Roo for snacking on it.

You're invited to the "dog freak" thread to post pictures of your kitty for all of us gush over. :)

it's not healthy for cats to eat plants and barf. i mean, it's not the end of the world, but it doesn't do them any good either.

make sure your houseplants aren't poisonous if your cat is chewing on them, and if they're not, then worry about getting the cat to stop. if they are poisonous (dumb cane, lily species, etc) then get rid of them.

I wonder if there is something safe but bitter that you could spray on your plants that would be off-putting (but not toxic) to the cats, and also not toxic to the plants, like bitter apple or something

CraftinFool, you're on to something there... I read here that coating the bottom leaves with a light amount of hot sauce will do the trick.

according to the humane society brochures I got, cats don't like citrus smells, so maybe citrus essential oils or spray on the flower pot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads