Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

should i have bought it? the shopping dilemma

I was shopping yesterday and I saw some nice coach purses, they weren't a STEAL but they were in the 140 range instead of the 200-300 range. I didn't get one b/c the one I liked the best was close to my only coach purse (big and brown) although it would probably fit a laptop (it was a messenger bag) and then I had second thoughts about spending so much money on a purse (the other one was a gift that my mom and i picked out together and it was only 80)...it's probably a good thing I didn't spend that much $ on a purse, but then I'm looking at my dirty faded fabric purse and wanting a nice new swanky purse...sigh, looking at the other purses in marshalls didn't make me want any purses at all...why do I think it's a bargain if it wasn't something i was looking for in the first place? i.e. I'd never pay 300 dollars for a purse, so to spend 140 would be ridiculous, but now I'm wanting a nice purse. Oh well, I guess my 13.95 gap special will have to limp on for a while longer...

do you have this shopping dilemma?
    jt

2. # ADS

why do I think it's a bargain if it wasn't something i was looking for in the first place
    My grandma always says..."It's only a bargain if you were going to get it in the first place!"

I have some sick shopping issues myself (I can beat myself up over a $40 pair of jeans) so I can't say if you sahould have gotten it or not!

I do this all the time. I find something someplace that I wasn't even looking for (like shoes- I do not need ANY shoes for ANY occasion, I seriously have enough for anything) but I always find another pair and I just cannot possibly imagine my life withOUT them. It is hard to pass up.

i understand - the cheap stuff is too cheap and the pricey stuff too pricey. i also would have a hard time spending that much on a purse. there is a compromise though, i actually keep a list of all the things i want to buy. each paycheck i either get one (if it's little, like a new lipgloss) or save for it if it's big (like new prescription glasses). i honestly find that by the time i have saved enough for some of the big stuff (like expensive clothes, etc) i don't want it anymore, realize it's not worth the money, or have found a thrifted alternative that i like better.

it's also hard when your friends are just going for it and buying the expensive stuff. like when they all get matching coach purses and you are sitting there thinking "it's not worth it, i can't afford it, i want to be unique" but you still want to be part of the club.

Lately I've taken the view of a friend of mine. Something is usually $100, it's on sale for $75, I'd say, "Wow I saved $25 dollars", then he'd say "No, you saved negative $75".

I guess I'm better off w/o the purse, sniff...:-P

If I had a laptop to bring from work i would have been all over that messenger bag, then again it was on clearance, maybe it'll get marked down again...

I guess I should be happy I did buy 4 frames, 5 dollars, 4 dollars, 4 dollars and 2 dollars and now I have the cutest photo of my b/f and dog at my desk and all I needed to do was crayon the edges a bit.

I suppose the 2 dollar purchase was a way better deal :)

jt

amanelle - my dad was like that. he'd always say "where is the $25 you saved? put it on the table, i'd like to see it."

i'd get so upset when he did that, but now i realize he was trying to tell me that i was looking at spending the wrong way. of course, i wish he had just gotten me suze orman books instead of yelling, because then it took me until i was about 26 to really understand about money. (and as a side note, i'll confess something personal which i never do online anymore! when i started to make solid financial deciscions, two weeks later my therapist said i didn't need to see her anymore. she said when her clients start taking care of their money issues, it always meant they were really moving on.)

Amen Athos. A Suze Orman book would have been the positive approach.
    I was talking to my sister the other day and we had both realized that our upbringing had been rather different from how our brother was raised. We were rather clueless when it came to money. She and I both learnt later in life and from our partners. pfah.

Love your grandma's saying Martita! That is very true.
    I learnt to control my spending after I got a divorce, which has been very insightful. So I can now pass up on a good bargain I don't need. I will still buy it if it's just a few bucks. Then it's worth it: being happy for a few euros. But if it's over 50 dollars or so, I will think long and hard if I really need it.

I have a different kind of shopping issue: BUYER'S REMORSE. I'll buy those cute four pairs of spangly silver earrings, and no sooner than I'm starting my car to head back home, I'm badgering myself with, "Did you really need these earrings?" And I'd be lying if I told you I've never gone back the next day (or even that very evening) to return the suckers. I'm like a shopping bulemic or something. I binge and purge. It's not about the money really--I do consider myself responsible with my finances. I can't really explain it.

On the very rare flip side, though, I have dropped $160 on a skirt without even blinking. I justified this by telling myself that it was made by a local designer and that I'm paying for her hard work and art, etc.

Mathias, I'm so glad you posted that. I don't think I could have written a better summary, and that is exactly what I do. There are moments I'll spend tons of money and not even flinch (I bought my first DVD player a couple of weeks ago on Overstock.com and was happy enough that I "saved" $300 by getting a discontinued model)...and then there are times I'll buy a $20 pair of shoes, agonize over it for days, and finally return them. I hate that too, because when they ask for my reason I have to stutter out, "I um...they didn't fit...they were a gift...argh." It's almost easier to lie than to say "I am an impulse shopper laden with regrets!" Haha. I feel better now. : )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads