Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Librarians, Rise Up!

There seems to be an awful lot of librarians and library people on this board. Does that mean that librarians are inherently crafty? ;-)

I work in a library in Rochester, NY....I've talked with Naomi, who works in a library in the UK. So where are all you other library folks from?

2. # ADS

I am a high school librarian in Garland, TX, which is right outside of Dallas (where I actually live). I got my MLS from UNT in August.

Crafty librarians rule!

Alison

Woo librarians! I got my MLS several years ago but don't work in a library. I currently work for a library database vendor. However, I'm currently casting my net for a job in an academic library.

cosmosgrrl - I am originally from Rochester (Fairport, actually). I moved away over 22 years ago, but I still have the memories...

Omigosh, you are on my wavelength, I was wondering the same thing recently and was going to post about it.

I'm a medical librarian in SoCal. And yes, I think librarians might be naturally crafty, just cause we have to be so creative to do our jobs well.

Good grief! I remember one of the reasons why I stopped lurking on the original Get Crafty boards were all the "Hey I'm a librarian [or archivist] too!" posts. Which is where the whole joke about SSoL got started. And I don't even recognize any of ya'lls names, so that's even more people in the group : ).

Besides myself, other crafty library/archives types seen around these parts would be peppermintsquar, sepiatone, researchasaurus, and achin to be. I wish I knew what the heck happened to Dexie - she was always somebody whose opinions on liberry topics that I liked reading.

Do museum folks count?

If we count, count me in! I have an MA in Museum Studies from San Francisco State, emphasis on collections management. Moving back to my smallish home town put a serious kink in my museum career plans. I do some graphic design and editing work, and sell jewelry on the side.

And Snufkin, I've always wanted to ask, are you Snufkin because you are a giant Moomin family fan like me?

Quote Originally Posted by cannibalsandwich
    Do museum folks count?

And Snufkin, I've always wanted to ask, are you Snufkin because you are a giant Moomin family fan like me?
    Sure thing! I actually used to work in a museum because the library/archive was part of the collections department.

And yep, I love the Moomins! Snufkin is my favorite character because I see a lot of my personality in him : )

Hey Snufkin...what's "SSoL" anyway?

Baltica...sounds like you left Fairport in the early 80's? I lived in the city back then, a couple streets down from Highland Park, and went to Nazareth Academy. Didn't know anyone from Fairport until I went college at St. Lawrence University in Canton, NY.

I'm an archivist! Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmosgrrl
    Hey Snufkin...what's "SSoL" anyway?
    SSoL = "Secret Society of Librarians." I believe the term was coined by jtsang's (aka sunbear) boyfriend after she'd told him about all the librarians/archivists on her favorite crafting board. And those of us liberry types who were on the board at the time refer to ourselves as the SSoL. Besides me that would mean:

peppermintsquar
    sepiatone
    Sublime Stitcher (honary member for working in museum conservation)
    sangoire rose
    Dexie
    researchasaurus
    achin to be

I know there's a couple other ladies I'm forgotten. But those are the SSoL folks that I usually keep in regular contact with about both crafty and work related topics.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads